Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Q2 Collections - new owners thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did you go for the Tesla corner bins or third party?
This morning, I installed two Tesla Brand accessories and I am delighted with both

Both items yes, Tesla. There are non OEM version but, where I believe theirs is good, I go for Tesla. I hope that redress, in the case of a fault, will be a less mind numbing experience than it could be with some (not all) others.

I also bought the Tesla Car Cover (Outside) and am delighted with it. The contact surface is very soft but common sense dictates that it would be best applied to a clean vehicle to minimise any possible scratches. Of course, much of the weight of the cover is carried by the roof which is tough glass.

It has a nice mesh grill which allows for A/C and general cooling on these unusually hot days for which we can't blame EV owners:cool:.

Of course, for many years, I pumped my fair share of petrol and diesel pollutants in the global warming process. If I claw back a fraction of that, it will a miracle but we have to start somewhere.

Reactions: Andenan
Fourteen years old Little Lottie, who of late has not been too happy in the car (X3) despite her various tours of Europe over the years, was however, very happy in her new "second row dog cover". I am sure the artic temperatures created by the Y's excellent compressor helped.
Excellent bit of kit.

Well it’s happened… I’ve kerbed one of my lovely 20” inductions 😢 does anyone have a link to colour matched paint so I can at least cover the aluminium that is now showing…
This is good match;

That's the answer. Most people have had years of driving where they just lift off completely when choosing to slow down ... your right foot needs to acquire the same level of sensitivity in gradually lifting off as you developed years ago when pressing the pedal to slowly accelerate (avoiding a bucking bronco effect!) Most people develop the new skill rapidly but others take a little longer. Driving an EV, even with powerful regen, should be smoother than any ICE with manual or auto gears. (People who ride motorcycles should already be familiar with the technique because with a handlebar throttle you don't just take your hand off and let it snap back on its spring, you roll it off ... the relatively high level of engine braking on most bikes is not unlike the regen effect when driving an EV.)

Just wanted to return to this as I've spent a fair bit more time driving the MY now. It's definitely a lot better as my technique has improved! I can now smoothly drive with just the accelerator, and I'm very pleased! I'm also adjusting to the firmness of the suspension. I think on smooth roads, it's very comfortable. On bumpier surfaces, sometimes it rides quite nicely and sometimes its a little ... agricultural. Either way, it's not a deal breaker!

In other news - my Zappi was indeed installed wrongly. The CT sensor for the grid was placed on the wrong 'tail', and couldn't sense the electricity being drawn for charging - which stopped the Zappi unit adjusting its charge rate. All sorted now, and the car is taking whatever it can directly from the sun. Very happy, and I think I'll likely install more solar panels soon. One thing that took me by surprise is that the minimum power draw for the charger (due to the charging protocol that all EVs use) is 1.4KW. That's fine for the summer months - but get to autumn/winter/spring, and for a 4KW solar array, it's unlikely to be able to supply that very often. Certainly Nov/Dec/Jan/Feb will struggle to put any power into the car at all.

I've done my first 'long' journey - about 160 miles each way to Manchester. Averaged 249wh/m one way and 260wh/m on the return. I used the supercharger at the Trafford Centre in Manchester - just so easy, and no range anxiety at all. The only thing I encountered as a 'oh' moment, was when in Manchester I tried to use an extension lead for the granny charger. Problem was both extension leads I had there were rated at 5amps - so home charging was much slower than expected (hence the supercharger trip). I'm planning on buying a 13amp extension lead to pop into the car so I can get a much faster and practical charge wherever I go.

Autopilot.... I used it a fair bit over the last two trips. I like it, but there's a few bits I've noticed. The whole "apply a small torque to the steering wheel" every so often to let the system know you're still concentrating - is not a great. I can feel the car move around as I do this, but sometimes it's not enough to satisfy the autopilot gods. I'd be happier pushing a button to be honest. I'm hoping there's an alternative at some point.
One thing I noticed is that when overtaking large vehicles (doesn't seem to happen for cars, but definitely does for lorries) autopilot moves the car slightly to the right side of the lane. When the large vehicle is behind me, it moves back to the centre of the lane again. Nothing really wrong with it, just once I noticed it happening, I knew what to expect rather than being surprised by the shift to the left after the overtake has finished.

Lastly - I was on the M6 toll road, and when pulling away from the toll booth, got a "Corrective steering has been applied for your safety" message. I'm putting this one down to complete lack of lane markings and Elon being drunk ;)

Just wanted to return to this…
Thanks for the update. Love to see it. You forgot to attach pictures though 😉
I’m only lurking as a Q2 reject, but hopeful for Q3.

I have a Zappi also and figured in winter I would use standard eco mode and just draw what i could from the solar and supplement with grid, or switch to an Octopus tariff and charge overnight.

Good tip for the extension lead, I’ve seen this site recommended on here:

As for the autopilot, I’ve seen people say they use the scroll wheel to increase/decrease speed by 1mph which is sufficient to show you are in control.

But, as I didn’t graduate Q2 I could be talking nonsense.

I have a Zappi also and figured in winter I would use standard eco mode and just draw what i could from the solar and supplement with grid, or switch to an Octopus tariff and charge overnight.

As for the autopilot, I’ve seen people say they use the scroll wheel to increase/decrease speed by 1mph which is sufficient to show you are in control.

I fear any pictures would show the fly/bug graveyard on the front bumper area ;)

Great suggestion for the extension lead. Think I'll pick on of those up!

I've read through the manual both for the model Y in the UK and for the model 3 in the US. There is a difference in the manual in that the US version states any button press on the steering wheel will be accepted in the same way as applying a torque to the wheel, whereas in the UK manual this is conspicuous by its absence. I'll still be trying it though :)

I fear any pictures would show the fly/bug graveyard on the front bumper area ;)

Great suggestion for the extension lead. Think I'll pick on of those up!

I've read through the manual both for the model Y in the UK and for the model 3 in the US. There is a difference in the manual in that the US version states any button press on the steering wheel will be accepted in the same way as applying a torque to the wheel, whereas in the UK manual this is conspicuous by its absence. I'll still be trying it though :)
I own a Toughleads extension with the letterbox barrel connector and the inline RCD, and it is a very high quality piece of kit.

Reactions: Toblerone and Davva
What are your guys views on levels to charge at? I’ve got a nice commute that used c20% each way, so I happily charge. To just over 80% and then run down to about 3/4% before supercharging back up. Is there any practice reason why I shouldn’t do this? I.e. battery condition etc? (Company pays for Supercharging so no issue on £)

Attachments

• 1162BE8B-5A83-48A1-A57B-087269BCD946.jpeg
    1162BE8B-5A83-48A1-A57B-087269BCD946.jpeg
    306.9 KB · Views: 48
I suppose it was bound to happen with a holiday taking in the tiny country lanes of Devon and Cornwall, but I’ve managed to get light scratches all down the passenger side which trying a let another car pass!! Fingers crossed they polish out when I get home and can address them.

On a positive note packing the car was incredible, 4 camp chairs plus other stuff fitted in the frunk, wetsuits, towels, sand castle kit and a box of beer in the lower boot plus 2 body boards under the floor. Then a child’s (10 years olds) bike and adult body board and 4 people luggage in the boot! Very impressive.

This extension lead is exactly what I'm looking for. I'm a couple of metres short. Thanks

Reactions: Wattsisname
So, this morning. Woke up to a warning, saying sos emergency call not working, book service appointment. Also my reversing/blindspot cameras aren't working either. Didn't have time this morning to do a reboot, but will sort it later

Also had the 'sos emergency - book service appointment' warning appear twice in the past month.

Once after a soft reboot - disappeared after I drove away from the house - Spotify wasn't working either, so assume it was connecting itself.

Then another time it appeared as I drove for about 10 minutes. Didn't go away. Tried to log it with my booked service appointment, but they just said it was due to coverage. Though I make that journey regularly and never get that warning - haven't since either.

Reactions: Kingpopsy
I suppose it was bound to happen with a holiday taking in the tiny country lanes of Devon and Cornwall, but I’ve managed to get light scratches all down the passenger side which trying a let another car pass!! Fingers crossed they polish out when I get home and can address them.

On a positive note packing the car was incredible, 4 camp chairs plus other stuff fitted in the frunk, wetsuits, towels, sand castle kit and a box of beer in the lower boot plus 2 body boards under the floor. Then a child’s (10 years olds) bike and adult body board and 4 people luggage in the boot! Very impressive.
Impressive packing indeed; packing-wise. So sorry about the hedgerow damage. I have had this on two new cars before. The West Country seems to have the most viciously sharp hedgerow branches combined with the narrowest roads.

On a recent trip to investigate the lovely county of Suffolk, I was both impressed and relieved to see how well the farmers cut back the hedgerows from the road edge.

Re: packing space: I tried to keep SWMBO in the dark about the front trunk space and the underfloor spaces but......... I think that whilst evincing a high level of nonchalance during the whole EDD Q2 Term roller coaster ride, she must have must have watched a sneaky MY review.

So, all is lost in the "Let's not take both your wardrobes this year" battle.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: dcsh