Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Q4 2019 Deliveries

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can anyone who took delivery in the last quarter of 2019 share a quick synopsis of their experience? Are the days of Tesla sending out cars from the factory with major QC issues over or are the nightmare stories still happening ? Another question I have is are people still signing paperwork and handing over money before they see their car?
I ordered Oct 5th took delivery Dec 27th. Completed all financial dealings the day before, minus the trade of my previous vehicle which of course i did at the time of pickup. Delivery was smooth with the exception of a last minute reschedule on Tesla’s part due to snow and the closure of I5. I had no defects or issues with the vehicle, delivery itself took about 45 mins to include me looking over the vehicle and the mini orientation they held. Very easy.

Last edited:
Can anyone who took delivery in the last quarter of 2019 share a quick synopsis of their experience? Are the days of Tesla sending out cars from the factory with major QC issues over or are the nightmare stories still happening ? Another question I have is are people still signing paperwork and handing over money before they see their car?

I ordered my car the day after Thanksgiving. It rolled off the Palmdale assembly line the next week, and I was assigned a VIN. Then it sort of disappeared, at least as far as Tesla communication was concerned. I finally made a cold call to one of the Atlanta stores, as they are closest to me. A helpful sales associate pulled my car up on his system and informed me it was sitting at the delivery center in Decatur.

I called the Decatur contact that he gave me, who was also helpful. I had requested home delivery when I ordered, so he told me that would be handled through the transport office in Las Vegas. I left a message for the contact person there and received an email the next day explaining the remaining procedure for delivery.

I arranged with the transport driver to pick up the car at our local service center, as a courtesy to him - access easier from I-10, and more room to maneuver. I met him in a driving rainstorm, near midnight, on December 21st and accepted delivery of the car. Transport drivers do not accept payments, so yes I paid in advance.

I made a trip to Tallahassee the next day (200 miles) starting with a 50% SOC. Recharged at Defuniak Springs super charger, about 65 miles down the road. It rained steadily through the weekend so that I never made a thorough inspection until after I returned home. My car was flawless - no panels out of alignment, no damage, no paint problems.

My biggest frustration with Tesla through all of this was the lack of "hand holding" communication from them. However, the pace of operations in December - all hands on deck for them - helped me to be patient. I am loving the car.

I ordered my car the day after Thanksgiving. It rolled off the Palmdale assembly line the next week, and I was assigned a VIN. Then it sort of disappeared, at least as far as Tesla communication was concerned. I finally made a cold call to one of the Atlanta stores, as they are closest to me. A helpful sales associate pulled my car up on his system and informed me it was sitting at the delivery center in Decatur.

I called the Decatur contact that he gave me, who was also helpful. I had requested home delivery when I ordered, so he told me that would be handled through the transport office in Las Vegas. I left a message for the contact person there and received an email the next day explaining the remaining procedure for delivery.

I arranged with the transport driver to pick up the car at our local service center, as a courtesy to him - access easier from I-10, and more room to maneuver. I met him in a driving rainstorm, near midnight, on December 21st and accepted delivery of the car. Transport drivers do not accept payments, so yes I paid in advance.

I made a trip to Tallahassee the next day (200 miles) starting with a 50% SOC. Recharged at Defuniak Springs super charger, about 65 miles down the road. It rained steadily through the weekend so that I never made a thorough inspection until after I returned home. My car was flawless - no panels out of alignment, no damage, no paint problems.

My biggest frustration with Tesla through all of this was the lack of "hand holding" communication from them. However, the pace of operations in December - all hands on deck for them - helped me to be patient. I am loving the car.
“Palmdale” assembly line??

Ordered 11/24, delivery originally scheduled for 12/24 but they offered to move it up to 12/20, and I took advantage of that.

I was there under an hour for my delivery; it was quite busy, so I had to wait probably 15-20min for someone to be available. But the process was smooth, and had an opportunity to look over the car before paying what was due that day & signing for the car. Tesla's messaging certainly encourages folks to make final payment ahead of time (which I'm sure streamlines things for them), but it's not necessary.

In Minneapolis, they were consolidating the "new owner orientations" into group sessions several evenings each week (likely due to the delivery volume in Dec and the limited space they have there for actual deliveries), so that was all out of the way before hand. When I took delivery, they pretty much just walked through the keycards, paired the phone key, confirmed the mobile charger/front license bracket was present, and provided a hands-on opportunity to connect/disconnect a charger if you hadn't done so before.

No problems at all with the car; the build quality was very good, and in the three weeks since I haven't come across anything I'd want them to address.

Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
Wonder if customers would pay an extra $500 or so for "White Glove" delivery program.

Would include constant access to converse with a rep as many times as they wanted and get lots of updates on the delivery process. Get a chance to closely examine your car prior payment or acceptance. Be able to wander into the deliver center at any time and get your delivery done, etc.

Tesla does their "Going Dark" routine to make the delivery more efficient for them and keep the cost down. Wonder how many people would be willing to pay what it cost to get the additional hand holding and chit chat?

Wonder if customers would pay an extra $500 or so for "White Glove" delivery program.

Would include constant access to converse with a rep as many times as they wanted and get lots of updates on the delivery process. Get a chance to closely examine your car prior payment or acceptance. Be able to wander into the deliver center at any time and get your delivery done, etc.

Tesla does their "Going Dark" routine to make the delivery more efficient for them and keep the cost down. Wonder how many people would be willing to pay what it cost to get the additional hand holding and chit chat?

Maybe a simple text/email auto update on status changes. No additional charge from UPS and Fedex for that.

Reactions: 2012MS85

Purchased 11/23 and picked up 12/19 though available 12/16. Both days predated the estimate I received.

No major QC issues for me. I do have an appointment in a week to discuss a couple minor things. I only put down the $100 order fee however we purchased the car through a mix of trade in, cash and finance. The cash wasn’t due until delivery.

I agree, I thought that there would be more support - As it turned out, it wasn't needed.

Besides the usual omission from cars going forward (frunk hooks, frunk mats, dead pedal, door pocket lights), my car has the issues:

* chrome window trim not aligned in a few spots
* frunk panel has some faint discolored spots and dots
* odd paint bubbles/drips or waves - usually at the very edge of panels
* some paint chips in front bumper
* some panel alignment around the C pillar / upper trunk area not perfect
* portions of silicone trim on roof glass were tucked incorrectly
* they gave me extended front mudguards, but they were both same-sided rather than L-R pair!
* black bezel on windshield not even all around
* windshield base not fully aligned
* possibly the left windshield wiper nozzle is clogged or hose is disconnected....
* right front camera crooked / not flush

most of those are minor and im not electing to fix them.

a paintshop contacted me on behalf of tesla, and i *am* scheduling to paint the frunk due to discolored spots
there is also a small paint bubble on A pillar they should take care of