Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Q4 M3 deliveries with Tow Bar - problems?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm in the same boat. Had the car delivered without a tow bar. The electronics, fitting, and 'tow mode' are all on the car, but the actual tow bar wasn't with the car when it was delivered. I did a service appointment through the app, and that was swiftly followed by a phone call from someone telling me that all the tow bars had been removed in Southampton because they were the 'wrong size'. He suggested that it'd probably be late January or early February before a replacement would be sent out to me.

Reactions: BlueM3SR
Pre-emptive recall of the hitch. They have probably gone back to Westfalia or Witter to be checked over. I would not expect to see them returned until early Feb, which is a proper bummer. I did ask Gatwick SC about it, and the tech didn't know but surmised we would start to see them arrive in the post at some point.

Now the scary thing is, it was in my boot when I inspected the car. Only removed after I asked the rep if it was covered by the recall. Good job I did. I mean, imagine if it came loose while towing a trailer? Disaster.

On the other hand - they may have pulled the hitches because there is a suspected issue with the bar itself, and this is just a convenient way of preventing its use. Considering who makes the removable hitch, it does seem unlikely there is a problem... but it's conjecture at this point; we are going to have to be patient.

I also have the sub-frame and the 13pin electrical connection, its all well tucked away so good for not catchng it on something but not soo good for crawling in a puddle to connect it!
I've had mine for two years now and its paid for itself many times over for hauling loads in my trailer but the 13 pin plug is a bugger to plug/unplug as my trailer has the old type plug with an adapter. Can anyone here let me know if a 13 pin plug on its own is easier to plug/unplug?
The tow hitch is held in place by ball bearings and I understand a spring loaded tapered shaft behind them that keeps them extended (simplified description).
It looks too simple to work but once you hear the "clunk" when fitting it, it is solid. Knowing it is supplied by Westphalia does give some confidence.

BTW, I note that the MY tow bar and plug stick straight out the rear of the bumper according to pics I have seen. Much easier to install/remove both parts but does that mean the ball bearings are holding the tow hitch against the pull of the trailer rather than the weight of the trailer on the tow ball.
Does it matter?

The Westfalia one on the M3 reminds me of the removable on the Discovery 3 - which are rated to 3.5T I am pretty sure the 1T M3 is no problem.

13 pin plugs are pretty easy to 1/4 turn to lock in place, the fiddly bit can be holding the socket sprung cap out of the way in my experience which given the location could be a M3 headache.

As I don't have a towbar still I have not tried to attach the plug yet!

Yeah, 13 pin much easier to insert/remove even with an adapter (as I have on my trailer). The design of the pins / socket means there is less force needed to insert/remove and the twisting action does it anyway. It's a much better design than the old system IMHO.

Yeah, 13 pin much easier to insert/remove even with an adapter (as I have on my trailer). The design of the pins / socket means there is less force needed to insert/remove and the twisting action does it anyway. It's a much better design than the old system IMHO.
But have you tried inserting/removing the 13 pin plug on an M3? ;)
Its underneath the already low car and deep inside the bumper with little room around it. You have to bend your wrist around 90 degrees to twist the collar whilst lying on the floor. Not easy at all with an adapter and old style plug and I am considering swapping it for the correct plug.

Reactions: Adopado