Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Q4 M3 deliveries with Tow Bar - problems?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got mine yesterday, delivered by a mobile service technician, who said he'd bought a bunch of them along, in case there was a fitting issue. So I surmise the underlying cause of the delay is a bad batch which didn't fit properly - which, with this locking design, would mean the lock might not close properly, and there would be a subsequent risk that the hook could come loose in use. Or, in other words, "a disaster waiting to happen"!

Only took 'em three months... ;)

Very worrying that any of these tow hitches left the manufacturer with an alleged fault!
On the Model 3 the nose weight of the trailer is pushing in the direction the hitch is removed and its worse on the Y as it is horizontal and the trailer will actually pull the hitch in the direction it is removed.
The design is very well proven but it does make you wonder and having seen the motorised tow hitch on the Westfalia site, it would have been nice to have had one of those instead.

So when I collected in November they actually gave me a tow bar just before I left when I asked, then phonesd and said I can’t use it.

Mobile service came last week and fitted the one I was given, declared it fine and left in 10 minutes. Why could they have not done that 4 months ago?!

Not used it yet, but yes all setup now. Mobile service had “a few to try” in the back of the car.

Reactions: BlueM3SR
Mobile service came out and did mine last week too. Service man seemed to have trouble at first with it failing to lock, and then struggling to remove it. However, after a couple of insert/removal cycles it seems fine. I've given it a go myself and no problems. Certainly feels 'solid'.
I did ask if he knew anything about the original problem, but he didn't share any insider news with me.

Reactions: BlueM3SR