Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Quad Motor

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Like every other new model before it, Tesla will likely only produce the quad Cybertruck at first, maybe even a fully-optioned-to-the-teeth "Signature Edition" at greatly increased cost, not only to help make the Cybertruck immediately profitable but also to established a price-conditioning "cachet" effect, so that the dual motor and every other lesser iteration will seem like immense bargains. But I'm going to snap me one up regardless.

Putting in my order about an hour after the presentation ended, I ended up in the 40,000's but I think there may be more drop outs than anticipated, especially when the final configs (and $Prices) are announced and we are now requested to pony up an additional, and now non-refundable, $900 to make it a $1000 "confirmed" order or something, to weed out the fencer sitters.

Whaddaya think?
For the model 3 rollout, the first version they made was the long range RWD version. But yeah for the truck it will be quad first.

I think they will remove the lower models completely.

There are probably 2 million preorders or more, what’s the count now? How long would it take to fulfill those? How long will reservation scalping be a thing?

Why would they sell 500,000 of the cheaper models, when there are 500,000 people ready to buy the quad motor super duper or upper trim models, and another 500,000 after that ready to buy some kind of base AWD model?
They will keep the lower end models around because they plan on selling millions of them.

They will sell through higher dollar models first. But lower end models will follow

This video had some good graphics and scenarios for all-wheel steering.

One image from video:
k0SrDBk.jpg

Video:

Title: All wheel steering | Rear wheel steering | Crab walk - How it works

Reactions: UCF3
Maybe for many.
I'm not paying more than the maxed Tri, can't afford more.
I'm not taking less than 500 mile range and ~14k lb towing, wife wants a big camper.

Will the CT use some new type of battery cells where the charging best practice doesn't limit us to 90% on the high end and 20% on the low end?

Otherwise a 500 mile range CT at 90% charge would yield about 450 miles and at 20% charge would leave around 90-100 miles available making the usable range more like 350 miles assuming no towing/heavy load, not traveling at highway speeds, no battery degradation, etc.

My SR+ battery range is down 16% in only 2 years and 27k miles, never supercharged. 16% on a 500 mile CT is 80 miles. This stuff starts to add up. You add in towing range, which probably cuts it in half. I am also thinking about the longer charge times assuming 60amp circuit (44 miles per hour) adding 400 miles of range now takes over 8 hours. I guess it just depends on how you plan to use the truck.

Will the CT use some new type of battery cells where the charging best practice doesn't limit us to 90% on the high end and 20% on the low end?

Otherwise a 500 mile range CT at 90% charge would yield about 450 miles and at 20% charge would leave around 90-100 miles available making the usable range more like 350 miles assuming no towing/heavy load, not traveling at highway speeds, no battery degradation, etc.

Since we don’t have any 4680 cells it’s hard to say what the recommendations will be.

Seems like they will be high nickel cells which currently has the limits you suggest. There might be some improvements in the next generation going into the Cybertruck but until they are out in some form we really won’t know.

Keep an eye on the Model Ys with 4680 cells.

My SR+ battery range is down 16% in only 2 years and 27k miles, never supercharged. 16% on a 500 mile CT is 80 miles. This stuff starts to add up. You add in towing range, which probably cuts it in half. I am also thinking about the longer charge times assuming 60amp circuit (44 miles per hour) adding 400 miles of range now takes over 8 hours. I guess it just depends on how you plan to use the truck.
Your Model 3 isn’t actually down 16% range in 2 years. That’s a formula based on how you drive the car. Drive it easier on a long road trip in good weather and it will be back in single digits.

And is 8 hours of charging really all that crazy if you plug it in overnight?

Reactions: 907XCP
Curious to see how they price the Quad Motor, (may another $15K?). The original Trimotor was ridiculously underpriced. Personally I'm in no rush, I grabbed a Model Y and will continue to patiently wait ...
Tri motor was priced as it was more due to range than anything else. Adding 60% battery capacity is much more expensive then the extra motor.

8 Hours?

Unless you exhaust your battery, it’s unlikely you are going to be charging for more than 2-3 hours on most days. How many days are you driving more than 50-75 miles? I have a friend who commutes 90 miles each way and even then she’d use less than 8 hours to recharge.

Reactions: UCF3
8 Hours?

Unless you exhaust your battery, it’s unlikely you are going to be charging for more than 2-3 hours on most days. How many days are you driving more than 50-75 miles? I have a friend who commutes 90 miles each way and even then she’d use less than 8 hours to recharge.
I agree as a typical daily driver and that is pretty much how it is on the Model 3 we own. I was thinking more about a CT where your range when towing or hauling a heavy load can be rapidly depleted. For example, you want to take that fishing trip to the lake 2 hours a way. This requires a bit more planning. What kind of range will you get when towing a 2800lbs boat? Where is the nearest Supercharger? Where will I be able to drop the trailer so I can pull into a Supercharger stall? Maybe I wrong but I am envisioning a lot more energy usage from a truck when actually being used for truck stuff, which will place higher demands on home and remote charging.

The issue to consider is how many homes have 80, 90, 100 extra amps for that. Maybe overnight but not sure if you run the A/C and use the electric oven when you get home from work and dinner is cooking ;)
Agreed, what if a CT was being used for business and you can only charge at 40-50amp at home? If we assume a 500 mile CT really gets around 200 miles of usable range when used for work purposes. 450 miles at 90%, 100 miles left at 20%. Assume we have 350 miles of range to work with and when being used as a work truck you only really get say 200-250 miles out of that 350 usable window. Well, in this use case you will be charging 12-14 hours every 200-250 miles at 40-50amps. Obviously your mileage may vary but I am just thinking about larger batteries that have much higher demands placed on them and the charge rates available in the typical home.

8 Hours?

Agreed! I commute about 90-100 miles a day covering multiple hospitals even then charging my current LR Model Y to 85% in 2 hours at home using my Tesla Wall Connector hasn’t ever been a problem. Also each hospital has free chargers so that helps if you forget to plug in for 2 days.

I agree as a typical daily driver and that is pretty much how it is on the Model 3 we own. I was thinking more about a CT where your range when towing or hauling a heavy load can be rapidly depleted. For example, you want to take that fishing trip to the lake 2 hours a way. This requires a bit more planning. What kind of range will you get when towing a 2800lbs boat? Where is the nearest Supercharger? Where will I be able to drop the trailer so I can pull into a Supercharger stall? Maybe I wrong but I am envisioning a lot more energy usage from a truck when actually being used for truck stuff, which will place higher demands on home and remote charging.

I use 110v to charge my Model Y. It’s not great, but we don’t do a ton of driving during the week. Usually between 20-60 miles per day. We often travel more on the weekend. This weekend we did about 275 miles to Portland and back. Usually on our long weekends we end up at home with about 20% state of charge. By Monday morning, it’s up to about 40% state of charge, and for our daily driving that’s plenty. My wife goes to work, charge again and by Thursday Morning it’s usually at 70% where we leave it.

This isn’t much different from an ICE vehicle, you don’t need to fill up every single day. So long as you have enough charge for the driving you are doing today, you are fine. Obviously trailering involves more logistics on the road. It does with ICE too (though the ICE situation is more mature)

Agreed, what if a CT was being used for business and you can only charge at 40-50amp at home? If we assume a 500 mile CT really gets around 200 miles of usable range when used for work purposes. 450 miles at 90%, 100 miles left at 20%. Assume we have 350 miles of range to work with and when being used as a work truck you only really get say 200-250 miles out of that 350 usable window. Well, in this use case you will be charging 12-14 hours every 200-250 miles at 40-50amps. Obviously your mileage may vary but I am just thinking about larger batteries that have much higher demands placed on them and the charge rates available in the typical home.

Going from a gas guzzler driving 200 miles per day to a Cybertruck is going to result in some absolutely massive cost savings. It also means they avoid stopping for gas about 3 times a week.

That leaves a pretty healthy budget for electrical upgrades to handle this sort of unusual power demands.

Reactions: UCF3 and scottf200
I use 110v to charge my Model Y. It’s not great, but we don’t do a ton of driving during the week. Usually between 20-60 miles per day. We often travel more on the weekend. This weekend we did about 275 miles to Portland and back. Usually on our long weekends we end up at home with about 20% state of charge. By Monday morning, it’s up to about 40% state of charge, and for our daily driving that’s plenty. My wife goes to work, charge again and by Thursday Morning it’s usually at 70% where we leave it.

This isn’t much different from an ICE vehicle, you don’t need to fill up every single day. So long as you have enough charge for the driving you are doing today, you are fine. Obviously trailering involves more logistics on the road. It does with ICE too (though the ICE situation is more mature)

Going from a gas guzzler driving 200 miles per day to a Cybertruck is going to result in some absolutely massive cost savings. It also means they avoid stopping for gas about 3 times a week.

That leaves a pretty healthy budget for electrical upgrades to handle this sort of unusual power demands.
No doubt, for me a 300 mile CT would be fine as we already make do with and SR+ and a Wall Connector at 50amps. I am just thinking about large fleets of EV trucks on the road and how much more use they get and and the increased charging demands. For example, I read the new Silverado EV truck will release as fleet vehicle. I am trying to figure out where they will charge all these things while on the road. It's a good thing I charge at home because the Superchargers by me are always full.

Well, here's what I think... While I too have an early launch day RN, I thinks these will be the last people to get their trucks. Based on what, you ask? Well, based on the new "Refreshed" MS and Plaid experience. Many/most earliest reservation holders have been waiting nearly a year or more; even worst if you were a Plaid+ reservation holder that have to convert your order to a hum-drum Plaid.... Oh, then there are those people ordering the same configuration as these SOBs and getting their Plaid's in weeks. Just sayin'... Don't believe it? Then, check out the Plaid and refreshed LR delivery threads.
i converted my MS Plaid+ RN to MS Plaid and have had it 2 years as of July 2023, but I converted my reservation just after Elon announced the Plus cancellation. My RN stayed the same. Other factors may have made a difference, such as it was my 4th Tesla I had bought.

Reactions: jebinc