Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Queensland Electric Highway

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would presume most engineers/designers arent big fan of chademo anyway as it is a standard designed to support the oil industry and make EVs always seem inferior to ICE cars.

Not sure where you get that.

Only standard that can current support V2x, and the Gen2/3 spec can do 400/500kW and it's a much smaller form factor than CCS plugs.

However think it will ultimately be confined to Japan and China.

Not sure where you get that.

Only standard that can current support V2x, and the Gen2/3 spec can do 400/500kW and it's a much smaller form factor than CCS plugs.

However think it will ultimately be confined to Japan and China.

CHADEMO has been designed on purpose by the oil industry to cause inconvenience to EV drivers with low charging rates, bulky plug, no combined DC/AC charging in one plug.
Gen 2 chademo was only a kneejerk reaction to CCS and afaik there arent even any gen 2 chademo chargers.

Queensland’s Electric Super Highway heads west

The Queensland Government is putting $2.75M forward to add another 18 QESH sites, expanding inland from the coast. The new sites are:
  • Charters Towers
  • Hughenden
  • Julia Creek
  • Cloncurry
  • Mount Isa
  • Goondiwindi
  • Stanthorpe
  • Winton
  • Longreach
  • Barcaldine
  • Blackall
  • Emerald
  • Dingo
  • Charleville
  • Roma
  • Miles
  • Kingaroy
  • Esk
There's also a link to a survey in that article to inform their "Zero Emission Vehicle Strategy".

So between the UOQ chargers at Toowoomba & Warwick, the new QESH charger at Goondiwindi, and the new Evie/CTR charger at Shepparton, the only missing link along the Newell Highway between Brisbane and Melbourne will be Moree/Bellata.

Getting closer...

Though maintaining Queensland's disease-free status might warrant pushing NSW/NRMA to stall Moree.. :)

Last edited:
Thanks to Paul L on the Tm3AU and EVfAU groups.

Screenshot_20210617-185207.png

For anyone else who, like me, has only the vaguest notions of the geography of inland Queensland, I've had a stab at mapping out the new QESH sites with the driveable distances between them.

The new proposed sites are in blue, and existing QESH sites they link to are in green (I didn't bother with the connections in the south-east corner - suffice to say that Esk is well in range of greater Brisbane). Stanthorpe also connects to the NSW NRMA network at Tenterfield (60km).
QESH West Map.png

Nice map. Getting to Barcaldine from any direction sure looks dicey. My SR+ couldn't even hypermile that kind of distance in the wake of a road train. Not the way I drive it anyway.

310km is easy in the SR+. I used to do Mt Isa to Hughenden on one charge in 45C heat with the long range. Also easy. with a bit of degradation its harder, but then you gotta slow down.