Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Quest for toilet paper in my Tesla!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Perhaps you can offer a logical explanation for this toilet paper hording thing. I haven't found one yet.
Panic Room.jpeg

Perhaps you can offer a logical explanation for this toilet paper hording thing. I haven't found one yet.

1. One may desire to stay at home for an extended period, and not go to grocery stores.
2. One may desire to not run out of toilet paper in that situation
3. Toilet paper does not go bad, and even if you don't need to stay home, you will eventually use all you purchase.

1. One may desire to stay at home for an extended period, and not go to grocery stores.
3. Toilet paper does not go bad, and even if you don't need to stay home, you will eventually use all you purchase.

There's a lot of other resources that those 3 criteria are applicable to as well, so why the ridiculous focus on toilet paper?

But would you need shopping carts full of Costco jumbo packs of toilet paper even if you had to shelter in place for the next 6 months and there's zero prospect of stores ever restocking toilet paper again during that time period? Unless your house has tons of storage space, I'd rather use that space for stockpiling non-perishable foodstuffs. There's planning ahead and then there's hoarding out of panic, which only exacerbates the shortages.

Because you watch the news and saw that Asia ran out of masks and toilet paper. US said you don't need mask unless you are sick... so you go grab toilet paper. And now people who were laughing about it a few weeks earlier can't get any toilet paper now.

Ok, explain the run on bottled water. The virus is attacking our plumbing infrastructure ?
A couple of scenarios come to mind:
  • Some people ONLY drink water out of branded, single-use, disposable water bottles, so they need to have an ample supply on hand
  • or they are stocking up so they can profitably resell to those who only drink bottled water when stores are sold out of bottled water (a situation they helped to create).

While on the subject of toilet paper, you may find this bit of its history to be educational or at least entertaining:

Apparently, a joke by Johnny Carson in his monologue caused a panic and brief run on toilet paper back in the '70s :)

Who knew there's so much volatility in toilet paper... almost as bad as with Tesla's stock price. :D

• Funny
Reactions: APotatoGod