Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question about Homelink

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm sorry if this is the wrong place to ask -- I'm a newbie.

I have a 2018 Model S and a LiftMaster Pro garage door opener. I tried getting my Model S to recognize the 3-button remote, but the Model S lights never flash. The remote works (battery good). How do I find out if the Homelink transceiver is actually installed in the Model S?

Are you standing in front of the car with the frunk open?
"battery good" doesn't cut it. You need brand new batteries for the best chance of success.
Push and hold the button until the lights flash.
The fact that you have to push and hold the button is why you need new batteries.
If the signal starts to decay before the learn is complete it will corrupt the learn.

Many openers do not support HomeLink; have you ascertained whether your does? If not, you will have to connect a supplementary HomeLink-compatible receiver to the opener, such as the PR433-4 made by Gentex/Chamberlain (though that particular model works at 433MHz, which I don't think you use in the USA). You would also need a remote control for that device so that you can program the car.

I can tell you I have a Craftsman. When I was programming the Homelink, I never got the lights to flash. However, after about a minute of holding the button, I went and looked in the car and it had learned the signal and was waiting for the next step. It did take about 3 attempts to get it to learn though.

Frunk open fresh batteries and very close to the outside of your garage door so the gps is locked in. Having garage door open and close without touching the screen is very cool
Gets an "OMG, so cool" out of my wife every time we get home. I have it disabled for auto-close, just don't want to risk having the door drop on the car for any reason.

That said, I've now learned about using fresh batteries and having the frunk open. I was going to tell the OP it took me around 10 tries to get the remote to pair with the car. After that it took even more tries to get the car to pair with the door opener.

TLDR version: just keep repeating until the pairings occur.

I'm sorry if this is the wrong place to ask -- I'm a newbie.

I have a 2018 Model S and a LiftMaster Pro garage door opener. I tried getting my Model S to recognize the 3-button remote, but the Model S lights never flash. The remote works (battery good). How do I find out if the Homelink transceiver is actually installed in the Model S?
"battery good" doesn't cut it. You need brand new batteries for the best chance of success.
The fact that you have to push and hold the button is why you need new batteries.
If the signal starts to decay before the learn is complete it will corrupt the learn.

Thanks to all who contributed to this post. I disconnected the power to the garage door opener, then held the remote tightly against the passenger side front bumper, pressed the button on the remote, and the lights flashed as they were supposed to. I plugged the door opener back in, set the "Learn" mode, then completed the setup from the Tesla console. Worked flawlessly. When we got into the car to go shopping, the programmed button appeared on the screen. Pushing it caused the door to open. As we left the driveway, the door closed automatically. When we returned from shopping, the door opened automatically, but to close it after parking the car, I had to push the programmed button manually. I didn't see any settings for opening the door when shifting to reverse, nor closing the door when shifting to park. Thanks again everyone for your assistance!