Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question about odometer reading on a new car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
H

hcdavis3

My incoming Model 3 that I’m picking up Saturday has 15 miles on the odometer. Any idea how and where the car was driven 15 miles? Thanks in advance.

No idea, but I think anything under 25 miles is ok. They "likely" are simply car moving from factory to any car carriers, and the logistics of getting the car to wherever you are located. they do drive the cars to storage lots, to charge them etc.

Dont get me wrong, I get the question. On all the BMWs I ordered from the factory, I expected them to have <10 miles on them, and they all did. My own model 3 however, had, I think, 14 miles on it on delivery and I wondered a bit what tesla's logistics were like to need "that many miles" to deliver a car, but having been part of the tesla automotive family since dec 2018, I know that they are not as logistically "advanced" as the big car manufacturers.

I wouldnt worry abbout it, because it sounds pretty standard / normal.

Reactions: hcdavis3
No idea, but I think anything under 25 miles is ok. They "likely" are simply car moving from factory to any car carriers, and the logistics of getting the car to wherever you are located. they do drive the cars to storage lots, to charge them etc.

Dont get me wrong, I get the question. On all the BMWs I ordered from the factory, I expected them to have <10 miles on them, and they all did. My own model 3 however, had, I think, 14 miles on it on delivery and I wondered a bit what tesla's logistics were like to need "that many miles" to deliver a car, but having been part of the tesla automotive family since dec 2018, I know that they are not as logistically "advanced" as the big car manufacturers.

I wouldnt worry abbout it, because it sounds pretty standard / normal.
Thanks jj. I’m not worried about it just curious, but I think you’re right moving a car to a carrier.

You saw the 15 miles or just going on the MVPA? All my Tesla cars have had 5 miles on them at delivery. They just enter 15 as a default.

Mine had 50 miles on the MVPA, and I thought 50 was the "standard" number they put on the MVPAs. I think you are the first person I read that said they had 15 put on all their MVPAs instead of 50.

Tesla changes stuff all the time though, shrug.

Reactions: hcdavis3
X-2Z1b.gif

Remember that electric motors don't really require a warm-up, and lots of drives of short distance/duration during transport/delivery process is not detrimental to its health.

I don't even know how much mileage mine had at delivery -- forgot to check -- but it dont much matter

Mine had 15 miles on the paperwork, but only 3 miles on the odometer at time of pickup. I think most manufacturers do this anyway, but at a minimum, it makes sense to put a higher (but still low) number on the paperwork to speed up paperwork completion without having to actually have someone check on the car and write in an exact number.