Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question about replaced fob

chinhster

Jun 9, 2021
College Station
So I had my key fob (#1) replaced a few weeks ago under warranty (fob would not get recognized unless I removed/reinserted coin battery). The first thing I noticed was that the new fob was named #3 instead of #1 but other than that, the fob worked fine. I linked my profile to this new fob. However, after an update a couple of days ago, whenever I get into the X, the seats start adjusting to my wife's profile which is linked to fob #2. It doesn't always do this but often does. I'm definitely using my fob because I using different colored silicone cases for each fob. I'm pretty sure there's a new bug but my question is for anyone who had to replace a fob, what did they name it?

For now, I unlinked my wife's profile from her fob (she doesn't drive the X anyway) and I also rebooted. I haven't been able to verify whether this fixed anything yet.

chinhster

Jun 9, 2021
College Station
Just a follow up. A few days after rebooting, I paired fob #2 with my wife’s profile again and sure enough, the problem with fob #3 activating my wife’s profile returned. So I’ll leave my wife’s profile unpaired for now. Again, this only become an issue after the latest software update.

mxnym

Mar 9, 2018
Bloomington, IN
Just a follow up. A few days after rebooting, I paired fob #2 with my wife’s profile again and sure enough, the problem with fob #3 activating my wife’s profile returned. So I’ll leave my wife’s profile unpaired for now. Again, this only become an issue after the latest software update.
Neat that you've reproduced it. Might be worth reporting to service next time you're in anyway if you're under warranty. Just out of curiosity, is fob #3 associated with your profile when this happens, or simply not associated to a profile at all? I ask because I wonder if associating it with your profile could resolve the issue.

chinhster

Jun 9, 2021
College Station
Neat that you've reproduced it. Might be worth reporting to service next time you're in anyway if you're under warranty. Just out of curiosity, is fob #3 associated with your profile when this happens, or simply not associated to a profile at all? I ask because I wonder if associating it with your profile could resolve the issue.
Yes, fob #3 is linked to my profile.

mxnym

Mar 9, 2018
Bloomington, IN
Yes, fob #3 is linked to my profile.
If under warranty, and assuming you have the option in your area, I'd consider listing it as a mobile service item, I think this is something they could resolve (or if it's a bug, escalate) without you needing to take a trip to the service center.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC