Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MY18 - Welp, finally lost my second and only remaining fob - any recommendations on how to replace?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just this. My wife lost one fob about a year ago, and somehow I lost the other today while watching Oppenheimer at the theatre. So bummed. Is service still the only way to get a replacement, and are they still a fortune to replace?

Yes, I would ask service as this fob programming will remove the old key’s. You can purchase new fob’s, there can be up to 3 programmed to your car. If choosing ebay for source then be prepared that the fob’s you provide might not be accepted for the car. I’m not from US but it might be around $400 for the pair. I had to pay over here around €450 for newer models keys with enhanced encryption version.

Reactions: BurntOC
Tesla is very reasonable pricing their key fobs.

Stop at your friendly local service center. They will get you new ones, program them for you and you are on your way.

Not like legacy stealerships that will significantly mark up their fobs as a profit center, charge you a ton to program them as well.

Reactions: BurntOC
Yep, they got back to me and it looks like about $175 for the fob and $30 to program, give or take. About the same all said and done as what it cost on my newish-model SUV one I add the lower fob cost to the higher programming cost. That said, it's well under the $500/per that I'd been worried about based on bits and pieces of older conversations. Thanks everyone!

Reactions: KalJoMoS
Service center.

Around $220 for one. I was told it was more per fob if I didn’t have any working fobs.
Just double checked. $210 for one, including tax. And I looked at the messages and only reason they asked if I still had one was that I needed to bring it. The resetting the fobs disables existing ones and they get added back. All need to be present.

I paid $400 for a leaf fob, including programming.

• Helpful
Reactions: brainhouston