Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question about second row

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Model X is less than a week old, so I am still learning about its features and quirks.
I use the third row regularly (7 seat model) but as we all know, the leg room in the 3rd row is quite limited. I am really hoping for two features, maybe they are already available but I just don't know how to access them.

1) Allow the second-row position to be sync. I cannot stand it when the 3 seats are now at the same level and angle. That is probably an OCD thing, but it bugs the crap out of me. Is there a way to sync the movement?

2) If I adjust the second row forward a little to give more leg room to the third row, whenever I hit the side button to restore the second-row seats, they always seem to go back to the far back position, crunching the third-row passenger. Is there a way to set a 'user default' second-row position so they do not go all the way back, hence giving the third row more leg room?

Thank you in advance.

Hi wslam, congratulations on your Model X! I've had mine with 7 seats for 10 months now, and love it.

The seat operation is a moving target - they keep tweaking the software and things change. Usually improved, but occasionally something I got used to changes or goes away and I miss it, or am just puzzled about how to do it now...

1) I think the best way to address this is to use the screen to move all three seats to fully forward or fully back, thus getting them synced up.

2) Unfortunately I don't know of a way to do this. I've suggested to Tesla that on the screen they have a switch between 5-passenger (moves second row all the way back) and 7-passenger (balances leg space between third, second and even front row). In the meantime the workaround may be to push and hold the button on the seat, to move it only has far as you want, rather than push and release to have it automatically go all the way back.

Hope this helps.

2) If I adjust the second row forward a little to give more leg room to the third row, whenever I hit the side button to restore the second-row seats, they always seem to go back to the far back position, crunching the third-row passenger. Is there a way to set a 'user default' second-row position so they do not go all the way back, hence giving the third row more leg room?
Just to be clear on this point - the "restore" position for the second row is different if there is a person sitting in the third row. I mentioned this at the dealer because I was testing it out standing outside the car and the seats clearly went too far back, but they then showed me again with a salesman in the third row and it stopped at a different position. Were you investigating this with a passenger sitting back there?

And, I'm not saying that there is a generous amount of room in that case, just that it is a different amount of room when there is weight on the 3rd row seat.

If it really is crushing someone's feet (and they don't have long thigh bones or large feet) then the sensors in the third row may be malfunctioning...

The legroom protection feature only engages if an adult is sitting in the 3rd row or if the 3rd row seat is buckled. A small child (e.g. ~40 lbs or less) unbuckled may not be heavy enough to be detected so I always help my child get buckled in as soon as she sits down.

Just to be clear on this point - the "restore" position for the second row is different if there is a person sitting in the third row. I mentioned this at the dealer because I was testing it out standing outside the car and the seats clearly went too far back, but they then showed me again with a salesman in the third row and it stopped at a different position. Were you investigating this with a passenger sitting back there?

And, I'm not saying that there is a generous amount of room in that case, just that it is a different amount of room when there is weight on the 3rd row seat.

If it really is crushing someone's feet (and they don't have long thigh bones or large feet) then the sensors in the third row may be malfunctioning...