Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question about tesla navigation for battery prediction

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey TMC, so I have done a couple drives to Mammoth⛷ from Los Angeles and have put the trip to the navigation. How does Tesla accurately measure the amount of battery left? I assume they factor in elevation, multimedia playing, climate , Etc.

Do they crowdsource data from other Tesla’s that have done the drive and aggregate it to make an informed prediction for my trip?

The GPS data includes elevation, which is the biggest factor..it doesn't know about how much weight you
have in the car..but it can figure out out when you go up a big hill and gradually adjust the expected charge at destination.
It knows the temp (cold air: more drag), and it can see your heater settings. media playing doesn't matter enough to see.

It doesn't know about headwinds (BIG blind spot). You need to be aware of this when you plan if you are in a windy place.
It also doesn't know about heavy rain or slow which can increase drag.

Generally it does a pretty good job....when all else fails if you see the estimated range dropping more and more as you go, you
just slow down until it stops getting worse.

Or you draft behind a panel truck or camper. They don't have brakes as good as you do so as long as you pay attention it works.
Trucks are even better ...you don't have to get dangerously close to get a bit of benefit from their 'wake'.