Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question about VIN assignment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Weird question but my VIN is showing, I called to add it to my insurance and they're saying it's invalid. Am I missing something? Has anybody else had this issue?

Just a guess, but if the car hasn't actually been completely built maybe the VIN hasn't been published to some database of cars that exist, so your insurance can't actually validate it's a real VIN attached to a real car.

I uploaded my current insurance and my SA said that would be fine. He had mentioned prior that I needed to have my new insurance within 60 days of taking delivery, but changed it to within 30 days. Either way, it seems that as long as you get the insurance taken care of as soon as you take delivery, you should be fine.

So my VIN showed up about 3 days before I picked up the car. My insurance still didn't recognize the car. I use esurance and they said they have to use a special VIN when adding Tesla vehicles (don't know why).

As for the insurance, the people at the Tesla "dealership" (for lack of a better word) told me to upload my current non-Tesla policy to the website and to email them the updated one with the Tesla on it as soon as I got it. I got this done two days after I already had the car.

My vin just showed up in source code a few hours ago. I immediately called my SA to see if he could confirm. He’s off until this Sunday (12/15) and said he’d check when he’s back at work then.

FWIW, he’s told me that here in Texas, my insurance proof that I upload MUST include the Tesla VIN. The car also must be paid in full before taking delivery (perhaps even before being shipped to Texas.?), so I’ll need the correct vin in the MVPA for my Credit Union as well.