Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question on 2018 Model S differences between months

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm in the market for a 2018 MS. I definitely want MCU2/AP2.5 so it must be after 3/18 or later.

I'm currently looking at two 18's. One is build date of 4/18 and the other is 9/18. My question is, is there any difference between these two in terms of hardware or software?

I'm pretty sure the hardware wasn't upgraded again until 2019 for Raven and AP3.

I'm also trying to figure out what autopilot features each car would have at present with standard AP and then enhanced AP. I remember seeing a flowchart about a year ago that highlighted the differences of what each version has based on build date.

Last question, how do I know how quick the vehicle will charge at? It does not have the 72A charger upgrade (not sure if it was even available in 2018).

Thanks in advance and I hope be an owner soon!

I have a 6/2018 build. It has the 72A charger that came standard at the time; not sure when they stopped but I would guess the 4/18 car has it. Also I believe Tesla stopped the unlimited LTE around the summer as well. Since that's SW, I have no idea if that would even transfer, as the free supercharging doesn't, so there's no guarantee the 4/18 build's free LTE would transfer. That's all I can think of that might be different.

My car was built on 3/15/2018 and has MCU2 from the factory. When I got my car XM radio was not an available option since they had not yet released the antenna for a glass roof car. I think they started offering it again sometime in the summer of 2018, but can’t recall the month.

Thanks all. Really good info.
The Teslatap link was really helpful as well.

What was the standard charging rate for 2018 models? I don't see any mention of that on the window sticker.

Also regarding LTE connectivity, isnt that only $10/mo? Can I use it as a hotspot if I'm paying for it?

@DadtoTwo It looks like you’ve already done your due diligence regarding the hardware (MCU/AP) differences between the 2018 100D made before and after 3/18. I have a Nov 2018 100D and to my knowledge, the 4/18 and 9/18 builds have identical hardware. If by software you mean software versions, they will receive the same updates because it’s the same hardware. All things considered, I would recommend going with the September build in the rare case there could be some potentially minor improvements made on the assembly line/production, unless the 4/18 build costs less or has significantly less miles. The rest is just based on personal preference (e.g color, optional differences, etc). Not sure if one of the two cars has an optional pano roof, but some people love it and some people hate it. I love it and use it almost daily for city-driving in California. :)