Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question re: brake lights on TACC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was lucky enough to watch a blue model S travel up Dudley St in Melbourne last Thursday evening whilst stuck in a train coming into Southern Cross Station..

It seemed to me that the driver was using cruise control (although I might be wrong) as the car cleanly moved and stopped with the flow. I was enjoying watching the graceful movement.

However, what worried me was that the brake lights never came on! - I was starting to think that maybe they were out for some reason until the driver got to a stop light at the top of the hill and put his foot on the brake.. They lit up nicely.

This made me think.. does TACC work the brake lights? And/or when regenerative braking is in effect - do the brake lights come on?

It was clear to me that the driver behind the model S had to pay careful attention as the car often stopped without lights.

Has anyone else noticed this? Is it an issue? Should we be asking Tesla to consider lighting up the brakes if the rate of deceleration is over a certain value (despite foot on the brake)?

Any Thoughts?

Thanks
Ross

I was lucky enough to watch a blue model S travel up Dudley St in Melbourne last Thursday evening whilst stuck in a train coming into Southern Cross Station..

It seemed to me that the driver was using cruise control (although I might be wrong) as the car cleanly moved and stopped with the flow. I was enjoying watching the graceful movement.

However, what worried me was that the brake lights never came on! - I was starting to think that maybe they were out for some reason until the driver got to a stop light at the top of the hill and put his foot on the brake.. They lit up nicely.

This made me think.. does TACC work the brake lights? And/or when regenerative braking is in effect - do the brake lights come on?

It was clear to me that the driver behind the model S had to pay careful attention as the car often stopped without lights.

Has anyone else noticed this? Is it an issue? Should we be asking Tesla to consider lighting up the brakes if the rate of deceleration is over a certain value (despite foot on the brake)?

Any Thoughts?

Thanks
Ross
The brakes lights on a Tesla are tied to an inertial device not dependent on a foot.