Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question Regarding AP vs FSD vs Beta FSD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So you’re saying lack of a nag is a safety concern but phantom braking isn’t? Sorry, just because a malfunction is widespread doesn’t make it safer. If you have phantom braking, there is something wrong with your car. It isn’t supposed to do that.

I agree there is something ‘wrong’ with my car. I don’t agree that it is a cause for alarm - certainly less so than phantom braking, which is a known safety issue.
What happens with phantom braking? Your car slows down. At worst, it is an inconvenience: it is NOT a safety worry (other than potentially pissing off someone to the point of road rage). Does this mean it is acceptable? Absolutely not - I think it is a great failure on Tesla's part that they haven't done anything about it. But it is not a safety issue and there is enough of it being reported with no other symptoms that a reasonable person could feel secure about it.

The lack of nag in an of itself along is a slight safety concern: potentially you could get lulled into allowing your attention to be distracted elsewhere. But that is relatively minor. To me, the bigger concern is what else is lurking in the defective state of your vehicle.

My 2020 Model 3 SR+ with the base AP has impressed me. I’m not a huge fan of FSD but hope it goes well and I am happy for those who are all for it.

As a Private Pilot, I recommend applying the same philosophy that pilots do:
“Understand what the automation is trying to do, use it when it is helpful, but monitor and control it.”

Applying that philosophy, my Model 3 AP has never disappointed me.

Safe traves!