Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question Regarding Performance Brakes vs non-P Brakes???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Finally found some good data to support my observations regarding performance brakes -

"Stopping from 60 mph in 113 feet is fine but hardly spectacular. It's a few feet better than the rear-drive car thanks to an increased regenerative braking effect from the front motor. (Rear motors applying too much regenerative braking can destabilize the car, so they can't regenerate to their full potential.) The Performance model's big brakes and sticky tires haul it down in a far more impressive 99 feet."

This is from the motortrend review of the LR AWD, they have a bunch of other specs comparison between the 3 versions.

2018 Tesla Model 3 Long Range Dual Motor First Test Review - MotorTrend

The difference they observed was 100 percent the sticky tires.

We know this for a fact because non-P owners have swapped to the same tires the P gets, without changing the brakes at all and gotten similar stopping distances to P cars.

We also know that because of how physics tells us the tires, not the brakes, actually stop the car, and that "performance" brakes can't actually reduce stopping distance on any vehicle that can already lock the brakes/engage ABS, which even the stock brakes on any production car in recent years can do.

The phrasing in that article was... poor....to put it politely.

We have a P3- and just upgraded yesterday to the 6 piston Brembo Brake Kit with the vented rotors - it even fits the standard 18" Aero Wheels, which unfortunately the now standard Performance Upgrade Package brakes don't. I think the stock brakes are fine for everyday driving, but you definitely need something better for extended hard driving - even just one medium lap at Buttonwillow raceway on the stock ones got me very nervous, and why I upgraded.
Hello, I know this is an old thread, Did you use the Unplugged brembo brake kit or another one?