Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question Regarding Performance Brakes vs non-P Brakes???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know the caliper size and rotor dimensions of the performance red brakes vs non-performance calipers and rotors???....I am assuming its more than just a red paint job?....tia.
Most you see on here are just a red paint job with cool Telsa logo which you can pick up at one of the online Tesla accessories stores. I have not seen any drilled out rotors on any Model 3 pictures.

Fred

We have a P3- and just upgraded yesterday to the 6 piston Brembo Brake Kit with the vented rotors - it even fits the standard 18" Aero Wheels, which unfortunately the now standard Performance Upgrade Package brakes don't. I think the stock brakes are fine for everyday driving, but you definitely need something better for extended hard driving - even just one medium lap at Buttonwillow raceway on the stock ones got me very nervous, and why I upgraded.

Would you mind sharing the parts numbers and cost? I'm interested in upgrading the brakes too on my P3-. I like that it works with the Aero wheels as they're my winter tires. Thanks.

We have a P3- and just upgraded yesterday to the 6 piston Brembo Brake Kit with the vented rotors - it even fits the standard 18" Aero Wheels, which unfortunately the now standard Performance Upgrade Package brakes don't. I think the stock brakes are fine for everyday driving, but you definitely need something better for extended hard driving - even just one medium lap at Buttonwillow raceway on the stock ones got me very nervous, and why I upgraded.

Reactions: Theraven
I absolutely agree with this...only part of my car thats bit disappointing are the brakes...just doesn't stop fast enough for such a heavy car.
I measured my 60-0 stopping distance at 105ft (PS4S tires). I don't see how bigger brakes would have helped, the regular brakes are more than powerful enough to exceed the available traction of the tires and activate the ABS.

I measured my 60-0 stopping distance at 105ft (PS4S tires). I don't see how bigger brakes would have helped, the regular brakes are more than powerful enough to exceed the available traction of the tires and activate the ABS.

This.

If you don't think the car stops fast enough on the street the only fix is stickier tires.

The reason folks in track use need bigger brakes is the car will eventually (when making repeated 100mph+ stops with no time to cool down) overheat and start taking LONGER to stop as they fade... but they'll still never stop shorter the first time than the stock brakes no matter how "big" the brakes are.

The brakes don't stop the car- the tires do.

Does anyone know the caliper size and rotor dimensions of the performance red brakes vs non-performance calipers and rotors???....I am assuming its more than just a red paint job?....tia.

I have a P3D+.

Aside from the fact that I LOVE the red calipers...... I could care less what kind of rotors or brake pads I have....because......I hardly ever use the brakes.

I live in regen heaven.

We should change the text under your name to say this after how many times we've covered it :p

Honestly, one of the the things I like about this forum is I've had to explain it far less often than on previous car forums where folks were just SURE that spending 5k on a BBK would knock 30 feet off their normal braking distance...the literacy on technical/physics stuff seems noticeably better here for the most part.

Reactions: kbecks13
The bite-in with the stock brakes is really lame, that does matter for driving. No way I’d go on a track with them, the lack of bite leads to faster heating & already w/pads not made for heat.

Pads alone will, in the short term, fix that for a lot less $. Of course if you track the car & keep pushing further you’ll come to the next choke point. Discs or fluid. Fluid is cheap, discs not as much.

At some point, especially if you go with bigger discs, you’ll outgrow the calipers, too, for sizing. Not sure I’ll ever get there myself but it is a thing.

The bite-in with the stock brakes is really lame, that does matter for driving. No way I’d go on a track with them, the lack of bite leads to faster heating & already w/pads not made for heat.

Pads alone will, in the short term, fix that for a lot less $. Of course if you track the car & keep pushing further you’ll come to the next choke point. Discs or fluid. Fluid is cheap, discs not as much.

At some point, especially if you go with bigger discs, you’ll outgrow the calipers, too, for sizing. Not sure I’ll ever get there myself but it is a thing.
I agree that the bite is pretty weak but I assume this was a conscious choice by Tesla. It seems optimized for smoothly transitioning from regen to friction when coming to a complete stop.
Honestly, one of the the things I like about this forum is I've had to explain it far less often than on previous car forums where folks were just SURE that spending 5k on a BBK would knock 30 feet off their normal braking distance...the literacy on technical/physics stuff seems noticeably better here for the most part.
What forum were you on before?
I was on the Subaru Legacy forum before and I remember people having more mechanical knowledge. Though I bet the bigger brakes = shorter stops misconception probably happened there too.

What forum were you on before?
I was on the Subaru Legacy forum before and I remember people having more mechanical knowledge. Though I bet the bigger brakes = shorter stops misconception probably happened there too.

I've been through it on, among others, Lexus forums, Supra forums, Chevy forums, and Acura forums... (the supra guys in particular got really upset when you pointed out how dumb an idea drilled rotors are...)

Finally found some good data to support my observations regarding performance brakes -

"Stopping from 60 mph in 113 feet is fine but hardly spectacular. It's a few feet better than the rear-drive car thanks to an increased regenerative braking effect from the front motor. (Rear motors applying too much regenerative braking can destabilize the car, so they can't regenerate to their full potential.) The Performance model's big brakes and sticky tires haul it down in a far more impressive 99 feet."

This is from the motortrend review of the LR AWD, they have a bunch of other specs comparison between the 3 versions.

2018 Tesla Model 3 Long Range Dual Motor First Test Review - MotorTrend