Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Performance - Incognito?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you follow the diy hypermile guys you'll see all kinds of tail extensions. Also unplugged performance did a cfd on the spoiler and showed a gain in efficiency.
those guys are getting a lot of mileage out of their "cfd" marketing claims.

cfd means they plugged a model into a computer. the cfd is only as useful as the accuracy and of the model, the simulation engine, the rigour of the configuration, etc. the simulation spits out a lot of noise and uncertainty, so in any industry ever of any consequence that uses cfd whether its f1 racing cars or even as 'basic' as bicycles they spend $$$ to put the models into a wind tunnel, measure the "real life" results, and use that to calibrate and recalibrate the cfd "computer model".

i work with this stuff as applied to a field where a single company is larger than the entire automotive aftermarket industry, and i can churn out fancy looking simulation results with multicolored cells and squiggly streamlines...and it can be entirely fictitious. so no i dont put any credence on a private, small business in california, making any claims on aerodynamics on the basis of 'cfd'.

british statistician coined a popular phrase used in this practice, "all models are wrong, but some are useful"

Reactions: mborkow
I'll bet it offers a measurable improvement (albeit very small) but not enough to merit inclusion on all models. Certainly the visual appeal is the larger advantage.

model 3 highland got new bodywork, new rear end, full new nose, redesigned ducting, big hoopla around the hood shaping, new wheel covers, all that... to reduce drag coefficient by 0.006.

if the 1" trunk spoiler was meaningful to increasing efficiency, it would be given to all the cars. say, a 5 mile range gain for +$50 in cost of parts? they'll take that any day.

and then for the P to provide visual differentiation (like the metal pedals, the colored calipers), they could simply slap on a taller, longer, more aggressive spoiler.

Reactions: mborkow
Do you really think the spoiler is functional? :)
Yea, there’s a reason aircraft wings aren’t held on with 3M tape. Adding a spoiler to a non-performance model is easy and cheap. Any day now Home Depot will be selling them.

As far as the red calibers, so many people buy the red plastic calibers covers it means little anymore.

Until recently, all MY’s had the dual motor sticker. Had nothing to do with performance.

As far as the red stripe in on the trunk lid, cover it with a black Sharpie. Heck, I know of a guy who moved a hurricane with a black Sharpie

IMG_2117.png

IMG_2115.jpeg

those guys are getting a lot of mileage out of their "cfd" marketing claims.

cfd means they plugged a model into a computer. the cfd is only as useful as the accuracy and of the model, the simulation engine, the rigour of the configuration, etc. the simulation spits out a lot of noise and uncertainty, so in any industry ever of any consequence that uses cfd whether its f1 racing cars or even as 'basic' as bicycles they spend $$$ to put the models into a wind tunnel, measure the "real life" results, and use that to calibrate and recalibrate the cfd "computer model".

i work with this stuff as applied to a field where a single company is larger than the entire automotive aftermarket industry, and i can churn out fancy looking simulation results with multicolored cells and squiggly streamlines...and it can be entirely fictitious. so no i dont put any credence on a private, small business in california, making any claims on aerodynamics on the basis of 'cfd'.

british statistician coined a popular phrase used in this practice, "all models are wrong, but some are useful"
I don't put much faith in the model they made, but tail extensions are a known aero advantage and that's exactly what the stock spoiler is. At the very least it has no negative effect.

Because its a flat extension and those are shown to reduce drag and lift. Go research hypermiling. A longer extended rear with a clean separation edge lowers your drag.
Indeed, this is an accepted truism. Look at pure performance cars for evidence. The rear spoiler is crucial. I don't think we're anywhere near that level with the Tesla Ys however. From a practical perspective it's a visual component, not much more. But I like the look and prefer that it stays on.

So I'm planning on ordering a Model Y Performance at the end of this year.
Here's the catch, I want the Performance incognito meaning I don't want anything external of the car indicating its the Performance trim.
No dual motor sign anywhere.
No red (or orange) line sign.
No red brake calipers. (Grey covers?)
No other labels indicating Performance.

Does anyone know if this is possible?

I might hit up the Tesla store in a few months and ask. I'm not in a huge rush.

Thanks in advanced!
Yes. A shop which applies paint protection film can remove the badges. They did it to mine when I got full body paint protection film installed. They can remove the spoiler too.

To get rid of red calipers, you’ll have to have them removed. Maybe some place can repaint them for you. Or buy some other product from unplugged performance , redwood motor sports or mountain pass performance…etc.

So I'm planning on ordering a Model Y Performance at the end of this year.
Here's the catch, I want the Performance incognito meaning I don't want anything external of the car indicating its the Performance trim.
No dual motor sign anywhere.
No red (or orange) line sign.
No red brake calipers. (Grey covers?)
No other labels indicating Performance.

Does anyone know if this is possible?

I might hit up the Tesla store in a few months and ask. I'm not in a huge rush.

Thanks in advanced!
Remember to ditch the 21” (only performance gets these) wheels and get 20” or 19”

The lowered suspension and crazy acceleration is also a tell tale sign. You have to swap out the suspension and keep it in chill mode.
I think it was strictly the aesthetic identifiers he was trying to remove, not the performance components. Otherwise, there'd be no reason not to simply get an LR model. In fact, an LR with acceleration boost still seems to be the easier (and less expensive) route.