Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question/Request: Riding in or seeing a Model S (vaca in D.C.)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys, first time here. I had a few questions. If this should have been posted somewhere else, I apologize and don't care if it's moved.

First off, I know there's a dealership in Washington D.C. and it's not far from where we're staying (visiting some family). But I was wondering if it's weird/taboo for me to request a test drive despite my lack of ability to even think about buying one, despite my extreme desire. If not, should I feel self conscious about going into the dealership in t-shirt and jeans? Only brought casual wear on the trip.

Secondly, if there's a Model S owner near Rosslyn (McLean, Arlington, Alexandria really), would you be willing to show-off (and maybe give me a ride) in your Model S? I know owners have differing views of "off-the-street" requests, and I totally respect that. I'm married, in school, and have two kids. I know it doesn't mean much on the internet, but I promise I'm just a poor enthusiast.

Thanks a ton for just the thought, and especially your support of Tesla Motors.

You should totally check out the store in DC. They are happy to have anyone come into the store and talk with them and normal casual dress is fine of course. People walk in off the street all the time.

Getting a test drive might be more difficult as they have limited slots and go mostly to reservation holders but you can always ask. While a Model S might not be in your immediate future, maybe it will be someday or the Gen III car might work out better for you. Just tell them you aren't looking to reserve one soon but are thinking about a Tesla down the road and I'm sure they'll help you out as much as they can.

Casual dress is fine. In fact, most of the Tesla staff will be in some variant of t-shirt/jeans. You'll have better luck getting a test drive on a week day, when it's not as busy in the store. Call ahead and they may be able to schedule you a time. It used to be reservation holders only were allowed to test drive but I'll bet that's relaxed somewhat now that the end of 2012 rush has slacked off a bit.

I made my reservation at the DC store and I went in decked out in a Newcastle FC jersey and shorts. I was treated with the utmost respect and care.

Since the DC store isn't nearly as busy as the CA locations getting a test drive could be a possibility. I would recommend calling ahead and requesting a timeslot to speak with someone.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

By all means, go to the store! They are there to show you (& everyone) their super-cool product. Enthusiastic? That's all the better.
I went to the Paramus store in NJ last week. Fun! ML