Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Questionable Bodyshop treatment of battery!!??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Approved bodyshops have been able to put cars into service mode since mid 2019. Interestingly, mine has also chosen to remove the speed limiter when they put it into service mode (because that's needed to move a car in and out of a workshop to replace the front bumper)
I|'m sure there's a hint of sarcasm there, but I had the speed limiter on when mine was in a bodyshop and they managed to move it around the garage no problem.

It's time to name and shame the Insurance Company - just had another phonecall from them - they've spoken to their 'ANC' - they are claiming this garage does 60% of the Tesla repairs in the UK (but aren't listed on the Tesla website as an approved repairer) and are highly reputable , and there have never been any issues in the past. They then added a new claim that the garage has a radio signal blocker that should prevent the car sending data (BS), and repeated the false claims that the data that Tesla can see (and hence Teslamate through the API) is incorrect because they've been working on the car (remember they removed a parking sensor and the 12v accessory loom from the front bumper) - not sure how that explains the joyride though!

They won't move the car unless I take liability for the remainder of the work, and they won't allow a Tesla inspection unless I pay for it, as they garage 'has done nothing wrong'

Tesla have confirmed the parts that are currently an unknown ETA according to the garage are 3/4 days lead time - so they're not sure what's going on either.

Anyway, I suggest people avoid Churchill & Direct Line when they come to their insurance renewal. They don't know what it means to work on behalf of their customers, and are more likely to believe complete BS from a garage than demonstrable evidence a customer can provide.

It's time to name and shame the Insurance Company - just had another phonecall from them - they've spoken to their 'ANC' - they are claiming this garage does 60% of the Tesla repairs in the UK (but aren't listed on the Tesla website as an approved repairer) and are highly reputable , and there have never been any issues in the past. They then added a new claim that the garage has a radio signal blocker that should prevent the car sending data (BS), and repeated the false claims that the data that Tesla can see (and hence Teslamate through the API) is incorrect because they've been working on the car (remember they removed a parking sensor and the 12v accessory loom from the front bumper) - not sure how that explains the joyride though!

They won't move the car unless I take liability for the remainder of the work, and they won't allow a Tesla inspection unless I pay for it, as they garage 'has done nothing wrong'

Tesla have confirmed the parts that are currently an unknown ETA according to the garage are 3/4 days lead time - so they're not sure what's going on either.

Anyway, I suggest people avoid Churchill & Direct Line when they come to their insurance renewal. They don't know what it means to work on behalf of their customers, and are more likely to believe complete BS from a garage than demonstrable evidence a customer can provide.
Thank you, that is very helpful
I’m sorry to hear the bull crap seems to have no end in sight...

This sounds like an absolute nightmare. I would be getting seriously stressed about it, if it were me.

Not surprised that the insurance company is backing the garage though, if they put a lot of work their way it's in both their best interests to back eachother's corner, to maintain a good relationship. You, unfortunately, are just a single customer to them.

Almost everything they've told you is nonsense.. radio blockers?

If they believe it is impossible for you to get data while your car is in, why were they adament about you logging out of the app, and why do they think you're doing things remotely? If they have a radio blocker - none of that would work, surely?

This doesn't sound like a Tesla approved place to be honest. It sounds like a garage that Churchill simply have preferential (lowest bidder) rates with.

Not sure what you can do at this point other than slugging it out, and hope there are no long term issues with the HV battery.

It would also be really useful if you could name the garage too, as I'm with Churchill (as I suspect are a lot of the people on here) and would rather get a hammer and spraycan and do the work on my driveway than let those people near my car.

Easy check for the mythical (and completely illegal) "signal blocker". The car uses LTE for comms, so if a mobile phone works there the car can communicate.

You need to report the illegal use of the signal blocker, too, as the regulator will definitely take enforcement action, as blocking mobile signals also blocks the new emergency services network, which uses the same basic system.

• Informative
Reactions: ACarneiro
Easy check for the mythical (and completely illegal) "signal blocker". The car uses LTE for comms, so if a mobile phone works there the car can communicate.

You need to report the illegal use of the signal blocker, too, as the regulator will definitely take enforcement action, as blocking mobile signals also blocks the new emergency services network, which uses the same basic system.
The "signal blocker" is obviously a load of bull, but that is definitely and interesting thing to let them know about ;)

To add the the radio blocker, which to add to the comments above would be all mobile licensed spectrum being blocked. Since mobile operators are free to use all bands for 3G or LTE, etc. It's just licensed spectrum now.

Maybe ask if they could please put all they said in writing, so you can consider it properly. Either they will, and you now have it all in writing, or they will back track.

If they do... Yes absolutely, numerous organisations would be very interested in a copy.

This would also be something that I am sure BBC watchdog would be interested in. They still have a segment most evenings.

Keep calm, get things in writing, keep the data, you so have the upper hand now.

My car was with a tesla approved repairer, I specifically told them, car is driveable, book it in when you have the parts you need and you have a slot in your workshop for it to go in, I know lots of bodyshops have cars sitting around for ages before they start work, was told it was a three day job which seemed OTT for the job involved. A week past, every day I could see them taking the car out in the morning, putting it back in overnight, they do that so they are secure. But until I pressed them as to why they hadn't started doing the work they then also told me to turn off the app. There was also a fair amount of drain during this time, because this was in the winter, they turned the climate on, left the door open while they move the cars outside, and then moved my car, and same situation when putting it back in. Thankfully didn't get anywhere as low as yours as when it was left on for a while I was turning the climate off again (before they told me to turn the app off).
I suspect the issue with your draining is more the climate being on and doors etc being left open, it will drain the battery in the colder weather.

Tesla never asked me to log out of the app to do any of their work, therefore I don't see why anyone else should. Mind you, they did have to ring me back to ask me to take it out of Valet mode.
This is being as very educational thread. Any demand to get me to log out will instantly ring alarm bells from here on in.

Reactions: Durzel
Tesla never asked me to log out of the app to do any of their work, therefore I don't see why anyone else should. Mind you, they did have to ring me back to ask me to take it out of Valet mode.
This is being as very educational thread. Any demand to get me to log out will instantly ring alarm bells from here on in.
Tesla won't because they put the car in service mode, this isn't tesla, this is bodyshops. For a while they weren't able to put it in service mode, and possible some bodyshops do not know how to.

Really sympathise with your situation, maybe consider escalating even further? How about reaching out directly to the CEO - https://www.ceoemail.com/s.php?id=ceo-9334 or maybe find their head office switchboard number and ask to speak to the CEO or most senior person available.

It is quite frankly disgusting, and borderlines on negligence. Agree with everyone who has said try to get something in writing from them documenting the situation for clarity.

I'm only a few months into this year of my insurance with Churchill and was considering looking elsewhere for next time, partly because they don't like people doing dechrome or similar visual modifications. They happened to be relatively cheap, but that's clearly for a reason. After reading the updates on this thread I'm definitely going elsewhere in future. If I'm going to be paying for insurance I might as well pay a bit more for better treatment in case I need it.

Last edited: