Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Questions About Equipment on Model 3 Performance - Conflicting Info Found

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered a Model 3 Performance to replace my 2018 Model 3 Long Range, and I've read conflicting information about the following equipment, and wondered if anyone can confirm what is and isn't included in a Model 3 Performance today.

- Does it come with Homelink?
- Does it come with a frunk mat?
- Does it come with a rear trunk mat?
- Does it come with a mobile connector for charging?
- Does it come with an external speaker?
- Is the rear door glass laminated?
- Does it come with matrix headlights?
- Is the low voltage battery a lithium ion battery?
- Is the suspension slightly lower than than the Long Range model?
- Does it come with aluminum pedals?

I dont know all of these, so perhaps others can also help.

1. Definitely 100% no homelink included. must be bought separately (should have shown as a separate line item when you ordered it)
2. not sure
3. not sure
4. No, this is an additional purchase now
5. Yes* (*pedestrian warning speaker)
6. Not sure
7. Not sure
8. Yes, the LV battery is a Li-ion battery in new Model 3s
9. Not sure, but have read here that there is no longer suspension difference between these two models
10. not sure on pedals on new models.

Thank you. Hopefully others can comment too.

As part of my research, here are the things that I found that should definitely be different between the way a 2018 Model 3 Performance would have been equipped and today. Perhaps others will find this information useful.

- No tray in center console
- No lifetime premium media which was on Model 3s with Premium interior ordered before 7/1/18
- Wireless phone charger
- USB C connectors front and rear
- USB A connector in glove compartment with USB flash drive
- Heat pump system
- Powered trunk
- Changed center console
- Larger 82kWh battery
- Bluetooth TPMS
- Heated steering wheel
- No radar
- Upgraded AMD computer with HW 3.0
- Laminated front door glass
- No lumbar adjustment for passenger seat
- Heated part of windshield to prevent wipers freezing to it
- No ultrasonic parking sensors
- More windshield washer nozzles
- Dash trim continues into doors
- Various improvements to make the car quieter
- Fake leather covering steering wheel
- Magnetic sun visor clips
- Chrome delete

- No frunk mat.
- Just a j1772 adapter.
- Not sure what you mean by a trunk mat, but if you elaborate I'll go to the garage and confirm.
- Yes, upgraded pedals - aluminum and rubber.
- Suspension is not lower (but the ride is def. Improved over our 2019).

I ordered a Model 3 Performance to replace my 2018 Model 3 Long Range, and I've read conflicting information about the following equipment, and wondered if anyone can confirm what is and isn't included in a Model 3 Performance today.

- Does it come with Homelink? No
- Does it come with a frunk mat? No
- Does it come with a rear trunk mat? No
- Does it come with a mobile connector for charging? No, but it should come with a J1772 adapter.
- Does it come with an external speaker? Yes
- Is the rear door glass laminated? No
- Does it come with matrix headlights? Yes
- Is the low voltage battery a lithium ion battery? Yes
- Is the suspension slightly lower than than the Long Range model? Not that I can tell, the difference would literally be millimeters.
- Does it come with aluminum pedals? Yes
I picked up a brand new M3P on 12/30/22. See above:

Also, your existing frunk liner and front passenger floor mats will not fit exactly. There have small dimensional differences since '20 and '23.
If you have an existing Homelink, you can pull it out of your existing car and reinstall, but it's a real PITA. Let me know if you want more details.

- No frunk mat.
- Just a j1772 adapter.
- Not sure what you mean by a trunk mat, but if you elaborate I'll go to the garage and confirm.
- Yes, upgraded pedals - aluminum and rubber.
- Suspension is not lower (but the ride is def. Improved over our 2019).
The trunk mat I'm referring to is for the rear trunk. There's no mat in the 2018, but there is some sort of material like felt on the rear trunk floor and sides. Do the new cars have this as well? The reason I ask is because the Tesla shop sells a rear trunk matt - https://shop.tesla.com/product/model-3-rugged-textile-rear-trunk-mat I just wanted to make sure that it isn't just a bare plastic or metal finish in the rear trunk area. Actually, writing that out, it would seem to be pretty weird if they didn't still have the felt lining on the rear trunk.

For the suspension, I guess I'll find out the difference when I get the car. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: chalper
I picked up a brand new M3P on 12/30/22. See above:

Also, your existing frunk liner and front passenger floor mats will not fit exactly. There have small dimensional differences since '20 and '23.
If you have an existing Homelink, you can pull it out of your existing car and reinstall, but it's a real PITA. Let me know if you want more details.
Thanks for responding to all the questions. 👍

I knew that the dimensions are changed, so the mats are going with the car to its new owner. Since the Homelink was stock in my car, I wouldn't pull it out when selling, even it wasn't a real PITA.

Go into the service menu and try activating.

In a separate thread I had noted that I purchased Homelink and went to the service center for install. My vehicle was returned to me with functioning Homelink and the Homelink box in my car still sealed....
I guess it couldn't hurt to try the activation and see if I get lucky. I can live with a regular garage door opener for a while if I have to order the Homelink. At $350, it's kind of a wobbler whether I get it or not. While it's nice to have the door open and close automatically, and being able to open and close the door directly from the interface, it's not like a regular garage door remote is much of a hassle.

Reactions: DocHolliday
The trunk mat I'm referring to is for the rear trunk. There's no mat in the 2018, but there is some sort of material like felt on the rear trunk floor and sides. Do the new cars have this as well. The reason I ask is because the Tesla shop sells a rear trunk matt - https://shop.tesla.com/product/model-3-rugged-textile-rear-trunk-mat I just wanted to make sure that it isn't just a bare plastic or metal finish in the rear trunk area. Actually, writing that out, it would seem to be pretty weird if they didn't still have the felt lining on the rear trunk.

For the suspension, I guess I'll find out the difference when I get the car. :)
Yes, the trunk is still lined - should be identical to your 2018 :)

I guess it couldn't hurt to try the activation and see if I get lucky. I can live with a regular garage door opener for a while if I have to order the Homelink. At $350, it's kind of a wobbler whether I get it or not. While it's nice to have the door open and close automatically, and being able to open and close the door directly from the interface, it's not like a regular garage door remote is much of a hassle.
For sure your new car won't have Homelink built in. They only include it with the model S/X these days. But $350 is a reasonable price, considering the model itself usually runs ~$200 on the used market.

- Does it come with Homelink?
- Does it come with a frunk mat?
- Does it come with a rear trunk mat?
- Does it come with a mobile connector for charging?
- Does it come with an external speaker?
- Is the rear door glass laminated?
- Does it come with matrix headlights?
- Is the low voltage battery a lithium ion battery?
- Is the suspension slightly lower than than the Long Range model?
- Does it come with aluminum pedals?
My '23 just got delivered last Saturday.
- Does it come with Homelink? NO
- Does it come with a frunk mat? NO
- Does it come with a rear trunk mat? NO
- Does it come with a mobile connector for charging? NO
- Does it come with an external speaker? YES
- Is the rear door glass laminated? NO CLUE
- Does it come with matrix headlights? YES
- Is the low voltage battery a lithium ion battery? NOT SURE
- Is the suspension slightly lower than than the Long Range model? 0.5" higher fender-to-hub gap compared to my '19P
- Does it come with aluminum pedals? YES

I got mine in September so it's a 2022. No mats in the frunk but the trunk and interior had mats.
Don't forget we get cool fake rear calipers lol!

I heard homelink was free now in a software update but I don't use it as the actual opener on the door requires a subscription so I just use the $20 box I got off amazon to control mine.

I got mine in September so it's a 2022. No mats in the frunk but the trunk and interior had mats.

I heard homelink was free now in a software update but I don't use it as the actual opener on the door requires a subscription so I just use the $20 box I got off amazon to control mine.
I believe only the Model Y Performance has the fake rear caliper cover but I wouldn't be surprised if that changed made it's way to the 3 performance.

It sounds like you are mixing up 2 different things here....

Homelink is not MyQ, nor does MyQ (which requires a subscription) have anything at all to do with Homelink. The only link is that they both are (different, unrelated) ways of opening a garage door.

Homelink does not require a subscription, it is a module purchase and installation (either through tesla or DIY if one is inclined to do that). MyQ requires a specific line of garage door openers, and a subscription if you want to do it through the tesla interface (and no subscription if you use the MyQ app like most myQ people already have).