Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Questions for Chicago Owners

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking to put in my order by this Friday for a Model S, but have some final questions that I'm hoping a Chicago-based owner can help answer. Anyone in the city or surrounding suburbs available to chat in the next day or so about your experience with Model S around here, ComEd costs, adding 240V service to your garage in the City, etc.?

If you're willing to chat, let me know. Will also use your referral code when I order, if you want.

Steve

I'm in the southwest suburbs, Luv my Tesla.
240V install was expensive, partially due to location of incoming service vs. garage, finished basement, etc
Using Time of Day Billing through ComEd, even with charging every night, saving 5-15% on electric bill.

Also in Chicago. It really depends on your setup, where your panel is. If you want to add a 50 amp breaker to your panel, run the wire, tube, etc if not too far then it should be in range of $350-650 I'd say. Our electrician friend did a nice job for us for $300. Panel was in garage but range the right gauge wire over ceiling in nice aluminum tubing, down to other side to a new 14-50 outlet, easy. Keep a UMC plugged up full time there, and the original one in car.

You'll want to do the ComEd realtime pricing I'd say also if you want to/can take advantage of just charging once a day at night. I set mine anywhere form 2AM to 4AM, as prices are close to 1-2 cents per kWh around then, or even drop negative up to -5 -10+ cents depending on season/day.

Also in Chicago. It really depends on your setup, where your panel is. If you want to add a 50 amp breaker to your panel, run the wire, tube, etc if not too far then it should be in range of $350-650 I'd say. Our electrician friend did a nice job for us for $300. Panel was in garage but range the right gauge wire over ceiling in nice aluminum tubing, down to other side to a new 14-50 outlet, easy. Keep a UMC plugged up full time there, and the original one in car.

You'll want to do the ComEd realtime pricing I'd say also if you want to/can take advantage of just charging once a day at night. I set mine anywhere form 2AM to 4AM, as prices are close to 1-2 cents per kWh around then, or even drop negative up to -5 -10+ cents depending on season/day.
Did you pull permits when your friend ran the 240? Debating this at the moment.

I'm in the west suburbs. I used Kapital Electric for my outlet install because they were a Tesla-recommended installed. I got quotes from other private electricians but they were in the same ballpark (around $2k). Kapital Electric had the best plan of what to do though since it was a long run (about 100 feet) and my panel was already full. So they had to add an additional circuit where ComEd runs into the house.

I would also recommend calling ComEd to get one of their Smart Meters installed as early as possible. You'll need that to get the hourly pricing, and they replace it for free.

We are downtown in a high-rise building. There were big and complicated debates about upgrades to the exiting 110 outlets in the garage. ConEd was involved, new legal entity was going to get created etc etc. It turns out there are now some 6 model S in the garage and everybody seems to be happy with 110. The range is so high there is no range anxiety even on 110. We are doing exactly nothing about upgraded charging because it doesn't matter.

I am in WI so can't comment on electric rates. But installing equipment will price similar if you are in a single family home. I have the most extreme setup of any I have ever seen...so let it be your top end outlier.

I also spend a lot of time in Chicago...so have lots of experience with the car there.

My price to install charging equipment was just under $5k. We have 3 EVs that charge every night pulling a total of 100amps continuous. I had a complete 2nd service installed to accommodate the load. One service is on flat rate billing. The new service is on Time of Day billing. The EVSEs can all be switched to pull from either panel. So if I am topping off during the day, I use the flat rate panel. If charging at night we switch all chargers to the Time of Day panel.

And driving in Chicago...great fun. But the loop garages are sssoooo tight. And the people who park on the street park by Braille. Bump then stop. That used to not bother me much. Now...it freaks me out to no end. When downtown, I have parked many times at Tesla on Grand...and Uber in to my meetings and appointments. That is an awesome strategy in my opinion.