Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

questions re charge

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There's no reason to offer a CHAdeMO adapter until there are enough chargers actually out there to create a demand. Just because some have been "announced" doesn't mean you can find more than one or two actually installed.

The problem is if we get an aftermarket adapter it will likely be heavy/bulky while something made by Tesla could be better engineered and be smaller and lighter. I say this as one of a kind and aftermarket would have fewer potential purchases and be more expensive to design and build.

There's no reason to offer a CHAdeMO adapter until there are enough chargers actually out there to create a demand. Just because some have been "announced" doesn't mean you can find more than one or two actually installed.

In Europe the demand is there from day 1 of deliveries. I have at least 6 CHAdeMO charges within the range of my Leaf and that number will more than double by the end of the year.

To show examples:
- link to map of ChaDeMO chargers in Norway - both planned and in service (marked with a dot in the locator): Hurtigladekartet
- link to map of all public chargers in Norway - most of these are free and delivers 240V/16A

The important stuff - there are some ChaDeMO chargers now - and more will come. These seem to be the only chargepoints delivering anything more juicy than 240V/16A. Tesla needs to support any possible charge source that gives a quicker charge. It will enable the Tesla drivers to use the car on longer roadtrips without having to spend the night charging!

What kind of car was it that you "tow-charged?" And how did you do it specifically: did you put the car in drive and applied some brake pressure and watched the regen meter to make sure you were not actually applying mechanical braking?

Sorry about the late answer. I always get into some discussion that takes way too much time, so I have to go "cold turkey" when people get sufficiently annoyed with me :scared:

A Think City. The Think has the regen on the brake pedal, but it will also regen if speed increases without the accelerator being depressed (i.e. when rolling down a hill or being towed). You can also get stronger regen by gently touching the brake pedal, without applying enough force to engage the mechanical brakes.

I just put the car in drive and let my neighbor tow me without braking. Calculations show we got about 8 kW of charging, way faster than the charger is capable of. We also used one of these rubber shock absorbers intended for mooring, which was very effective at damping jolts from the rope.

My first post about it on TMC (I think) is here.

Last edited:
This was AAA back in the summer:

attachment.php?attachmentid=3583&d=1323304551.jpg

View attachment 3583

Interestingly I spoke to some AAA folks about this- they would love to have level 3 charging available- even level 2 ties up a truck for too long. Some trucks are being built with batteries in them but the driver I spoke to hated the idea- he said it makes the truck smaller (can't carry as much) waay more expensive and it ties a truck to a type of service instead of being a fungible resource. He preferred to have the charging kit as a towable trailer w batteries and inverters that he could drive by, hitch, and drop off to recharge. Smart guy and told me stories about having to rescue some leafs. One leaf was an extension cord away from a house but the house owner did not want to risk plugging in a contraption apparently (which surprised me- I've experienced a lot of curiosity and openness about EVs)