Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Questions regarding Model Y tow bar now available.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

away

Apr 10, 2020
Tow bar is now available for Model Y: Tesla Model Y gets $1,000 tow hitch option, $450 roof rack accessory - Electrek

You can add it to your build now for $1,000. Typical Tesla is short on details and I don't suspect any of are going to have solid answers but I would be curious of a few things. If the receiver really is 1 1/4 or 2 1/2 inch and if it will it have 4/7 pin wiring included?

Also, my build no longer has the 'edit' button to change the configuration. So I'm sure I'll have to email someone to add this to my build. Towing was a big need for us as we often haul bikes on a rear rack. (with 2.5 inch receiver) We also tow a small trailer with go karts several times a year but could work around that if need be if the Model Y doesn't come with wiring for trailer lighting.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was able to add it to my order by opening a chat from the Model Y page and asking the rep to do so. I did that last night, and this morning received an email confirming that it had been added.

I’m sure this bumps me back down the line for deliveries, but I’d rather get it preinstalled than have to add it on later.

I was able to add it to my order by opening a chat from the Model Y page and asking the rep to do so.
I did that last night, and this morning received an email confirming that it had been added.

I’m sure this bumps me back down the line for deliveries, but I’d rather get it preinstalled than have to add it on later.

I wonder if you made change to your order while waiting for delivery,
or if you only made change to your reservation while still not decided to place the order?

I was able to add it to my order by opening a chat from the Model Y page and asking the rep to do so.

Same. Requested the tow addition, via chat, Friday morning, and received notification of confirmed order update about 4 hours later.

I wonder if you made change to your order while waiting for delivery,
or if you only made change to your reservation while still not decided to place the order?

For me, I had postponed my order about 2 weeks ago (I had insurance confirmed and had financing already approved through Tesla), so for me, I had an order all ready to go, with original delivery date of March 28.

I wasn't able to edit it on my own, since I was so far down the ordering process. The rep had no issue adjusting it for me though. And since my original order was in early February, there was no pricing change (aside from the $1K tow addition).