Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

I have two questions for the Tesla pros out there:

1. When using the app to preheat the car -- I enter the car and about 50% of the time, after putting my foot on the brake, the time for the car to "start" is much greater (estimate about 15-20 seconds). When I press the brake pedal it is hard. However, it will quickly start up when I press the park button. Is this normal? Seems like if I'm "waking it up" to preheat it (doing so about 15 minutes prior to entering the car) it should start quicker than when it's cold and been sitting for a day?

2. My GPS time estimation/route planning is pretty poor. Going from Tacoma to Seattle -- it gives the time based on no traffic. Google maps tells me it will take 1.5 hour and it does. Tesla tells me it will take 44 minutes and it never does. Is there just not enough data being pulled from Tesla users to accurately predict the time? I thought Tesla used Google data to a degree?

Thanks guys!

Can't answer number 1.

But for number 2. sometimes I think that they put the second USB adapter and 12 outlet in the console so that you can plug in a phone with a map app running or a stand-alone GPS navigator.

Their navigation feature is really sub-par. Except for display size and charge station awareness, my 3 year old $100 Gamin is MUCH better. Shame on Tesla.

Can't answer number 1.

But for number 2. sometimes I think that they put the second USB adapter and 12 outlet in the console so that you can plug in a phone with a map app running or a stand-alone GPS navigator.

Their navigation feature is really sub-par. Except for display size and charge station awareness, my 3 year old $100 Gamin is MUCH better. Shame on Tesla.
Okay thanks, I just wanted to make sure it wasn't something with my car. I thought maybe since it's never really connected to wi-fi -- that maybe the map data might be dated. Ya I pretty much now just use my phone. I hope Tesla can make it better than google someday.

So for number 1 -- sounds like you never had this happen -- or you never use this feature?

So for number 1 -- sounds like you never had this happen -- or you never use this feature?

I don't live in a cold part of the country, but I have never heard of #1. Today was about as cold as it gets here and I pre-heated the car from an inside temp of 33 to 70. It turned on quickly just like normal. Same for pre-cool using A/C from the app which I have done far more frequently than warming. Never had a delay starting.

I am not sure what you mean with the word "start".

Do you mean the screens light up?

That function can be delayed if your car is in deep sleep and you turned on your "Energy Saving".

Otherwise, whenever I open my doors, the screens light up quite fast.
Yep, that's what I mean. I don't have it on energy savings. I added this to my next service appointment. Thanks everyone!