Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Quick charging question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New AWD Model 3 owner and have charged only a couple of times.
Had a few questions for those with more experience:

I see referenced often setting the charge to 80% or 90%, etc... I only see a slider on my car's touchscreen. Is there a way to input a number or is moving the slider the only option on setting what you want the car charged to?

I also see people post things like lifetime Wh/M but in my car I can only get the car to show the Wh/M since the last time the car was started/moved?
In the charging menu there are graphs based on last 15 miles/30 miles, etc...
I also see trip so the answer may be I should start a trip?

On my first long commute drive today and I got 250 wh/mile over the 60 mile drive. I assume that is about right? Highway driving, some traffic. I took it easy in terms of acceleration and used AP for most of the drive. Speed was 75 for a 25 mile stretch with no traffic and otherwise below 70 for the rest. Not sure if using AP is less efficient or more efficient. Had it on the standard (not chill mode) setting. Regen also set to standard (not low). Light AC use.

I also see people post things like lifetime Wh/M but in my car I can only get the car to show the Wh/M since the last time the car was started/moved?
Where you see that display, slide it UP, once or twice, either to Trip A or Trip B and you will get the lifetime results unless it has been reset. You can also rename the trips.
I just use the slider for desired charge level. No need to set it to 83.5% or whatever :):D.

Is there a way to input a number or is moving the slider the only option on setting what you want the car charged to?

No. Some of the apps (like Stats) provide somewhat better control - it's easier to see what % you are setting it to on the slider when you do it from within Stats.

All trip meters only count energy use when not in Park.
There is:

"since starting driving" (which resets every time you leave the driver's seat - not every time you go to park)
"since last charge" - self explanatory
"Trip A" - can be renamed
"Trip B" - can be renamed

250 wh/mile over the 60 mile drive. I assume that is about right?

This is normal (pretty decent for the drive you described). For AWD, at this efficiency, you will get about 310rmi * 230Wh/rmi / 250Wh/mi = 285-290 miles of range, for a full discharge from 310 rated miles to 0 rated miles.

New AWD Model 3 owner and have charged only a couple of times.
Had a few questions for those with more experience:

I see referenced often setting the charge to 80% or 90%, etc... I only see a slider on my car's touchscreen. Is there a way to input a number or is moving the slider the only option on setting what you want the car charged to?

In the charging menu there are graphs based on last 15 miles/30 miles, etc...

On my first long commute drive today and I got 250 wh/mile over the 60 mile drive. I assume that is about right? Highway driving, some traffic. I took it easy in terms of acceleration and used AP for most of the drive. Speed was 75 for a 25 mile stretch with no traffic and otherwise below 70 for the rest. Not sure if using AP is less efficient or more efficient. Had it on the standard (not chill mode) setting. Regen also set to standard (not low). Light AC use.

Yes you can set the % digitally if you use the API, but if you don't know what that is then don't worry about it... So the slider in the car and phone app is your only way to adjust the charge %

Rename one of your trip meters to something like "Lifetime - Do Not Reset". I did not do this until I had already reset it a couple times so I am missing about 400 miles of my 16k miles I have on the odometer, no big deal.

250Wh/mile doesn't look bad with the limited info you have provided... Speed kills since drag increases with the square of speed(fast).

From MY experience, AP can be less efficient than you driving yourself if for nothing else the errors in the car's judgment. I personally find it pretty easy to do better than AP in efficiency on my 20 miles of highway and 15 miles of 40-45mph major surface street.

Where you see that display, slide it UP, once or twice, either to Trip A or Trip B and you will get the lifetime results unless it has been reset. You can also rename the trips.
I just use the slider for desired charge level. No need to set it to 83.5% or whatever :):D.

I did not realize it was a slide up
I had tried slide left, slide right, slide down as it seemed like more was there but never tried slide up

Thanks!

Yes you can set the % digitally if you use the API, but if you don't know what that is then don't worry about it... So the slider in the car and phone app is your only way to adjust the charge %

Rename one of your trip meters to something like "Lifetime - Do Not Reset". I did not do this until I had already reset it a couple times so I am missing about 400 miles of my 16k miles I have on the odometer, no big deal.

250Wh/mile doesn't look bad with the limited info you have provided... Speed kills since drag increases with the square of speed(fast).

From MY experience, AP can be less efficient than you driving yourself if for nothing else the errors in the car's judgment. I personally find it pretty easy to do better than AP in efficiency on my 20 miles of highway and 15 miles of 40-45mph major surface street.
I hope that Tesla, as a part of its growth in software, does two things: first, I would like to se either some driver preference learning g software applied tin both left right lane clearance and the adjustment of the acceleration deceleration patterns to the driver’s when adaptive cruise control is turned on. I like to accelerate a bit more gradually as I was taught when young that this wore out the drive train less as well as flying up to the back of the car ahead of you then slamming on the regenerative braking. I brake a bit more gradually for the wear issue, but also for the sake of the car behind me and my own rear end. Self driving drives more like a young driver. I also like to driven more near the road edges to give myself more clearance from other cars. I think we all naturally move a few inches over when passing a large truck. I am thinking that assisted steering might give about 2 inches before it shuts off, but I feel I am always fighting it in these situations in denser traffic. I do like the added safety of both features, but I think my driving habits are safer than ap’s. Let it adapt to me, then we will have the best of both worlds.

Self driving drives more like a young driver. I also like to driven more near the road edges to give myself more clearance from other cars. I think we all naturally move a few inches over when passing a large truck.

AP is a young driver still! Wait til it grows up a bit more ;)

As for driving off-center in the lane ... you are much more likely to hit road debris if you do this instead of following the same trail that most drivers shoot for in the centre of the lane. If not a large chunk of debris, even just dust/gravel/winter road salt/etc is kicked up way more when you drive towards the edge. Driving off-centre you are also prone to more slippery conditions when wet since the oil dripped by those filthy ICE cars accumulates in the dead centre of the lane where tires typically aren't travelling. This is also one reason why you'll notice motorcylce riders don't stay centred in the lane, but drive on either one of the two 'tire tracks' left by cars. I like the way AP keeps it centred.

Reactions: Manitoba Keith
No. Some of the apps (like Stats) provide somewhat better control - it's easier to see what % you are setting it to on the slider when you do it from within Stats.

All trip meters only count energy use when not in Park.
There is:

"since starting driving" (which resets every time you leave the driver's seat - not every time you go to park)
"since last charge" - self explanatory
"Trip A" - can be renamed
"Trip B" - can be renamed

This is normal (pretty decent for the drive you described). For AWD, at this efficiency, you will get about 310rmi * 230Wh/rmi / 250Wh/mi = 285-290 miles of range, for a full discharge from 310 rated miles to 0 rated miles.

OP, I re named the "trip b" trip meter to "lifetime do not reset" based on advice I read here. I missed the first week or two of driving, but the more miles I put on the car, the less that matters (lol).

OP, I re named the "trip b" trip meter to "lifetime do not reset" based on advice I read here. I missed the first week or two of driving, but the more miles I put on the car, the less that matters (lol).

I did exactly that and since the trip had been never touched by me the A and B trip are both same as the odometer.
Averaging just under 250 wh/mile lifetime which I am happy with. Overall top speed seems to be the biggest contributing factor, climate control also makes a noticeable difference. Opposite of most ICE cars it seems to get the very best efficiency when riding in highway stop and go traffic.

Tough call on best implementation of the lane keeping AP control. Currently the centering can be a little unnerving with a truck coming the other way or someone riding close to the right lane. I agree though more to the left could be an issue on bad road surfaces, grates, construction cones, etc... Think I prefer the centered approach for this reason.
I love the adaptive cruise control aspects of AP for acceleration and braking even though a bit erratic but often prefer to steer myself thus far.

Reactions: darth_vad3r
I hope that Tesla, as a part of its growth in software, does two things: first, I would like to se either some driver preference learning g software applied tin both left right lane clearance and the adjustment of the acceleration deceleration patterns to the driver’s when adaptive cruise control is turned on. I like to accelerate a bit more gradually as I was taught when young that this wore out the drive train less as well as flying up to the back of the car ahead of you then slamming on the regenerative braking. I brake a bit more gradually for the wear issue, but also for the sake of the car behind me and my own rear end. Self driving drives more like a young driver. I also like to driven more near the road edges to give myself more clearance from other cars. I think we all naturally move a few inches over when passing a large truck. I am thinking that assisted steering might give about 2 inches before it shuts off, but I feel I am always fighting it in these situations in denser traffic. I do like the added safety of both features, but I think my driving habits are safer than ap’s. Let it adapt to me, then we will have the best of both worlds.
Are you driving in "chill" mode?

I too like to drive a little to the outer edge of a lane to provide just a bit of safety cushion, as well as to see better further ahead, and it takes some adjustment to let the car do its centering thing. I did suggest in a software suggestion thread that it would be nice to have the choice of being a little to the left or right of center. It would not only suit my pref or yours, but also in areas where lane-splitting for motorcycles is legal, be safer for lane splitting.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H