Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Quick thoughts on 2018.12

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Model 3 was stuck on 2017.50.13 for a couple of months while watching everyone else get updated. I complained to my service center and they thought that it was because of my poor cellular coverage (despite the fact that I had gotten previous updates there) so they asked me to park the car outside for a couple of nights. Still nothing.

I then resent an email to Tesla (I had already sent them an email and they said to be patient) and, lo and behold, a few nights later I got an update yesterday to 2018.12. The only problem was that there was a notice saying that the update was unsuccessful and that I should wait for another update. So, I'm not sure if I have the full 2018.12 update.

I took the car out for a ride today to see if I got the autopilot update that the model S/X folks have been extolling about. I'm positive that I did. This is subjective, of course, but the car tracked much, much better. No more ping-ponging and me gripping the wheel tightly in case there was a malfunction. I tested it on windy city streets and on the freeway and it tracked in the center of the lane perfectly. BTW, I disengaged it when I saw pedestrians or bicyclists.

But what convinced me that this is the new version of autopilot was that the lane change was very smooth. A lane change with my old autopilot was very sudden.

Using the scroll wheel to change the set speed and the following time/distance was great.

So, in summary, I think that I got the full update and I don't know why it said that it was unsuccessful.

Cliff

Reactions: DR61
So is this the first version where the 3 has the same release number as the S/X? Very interesting.....

What is the full release number? I wonder if the hash is the same... :D (That would be something, if the hash actually meant something after all this...)

My Model 3 was stuck on 2017.50.13 for a couple of months while watching everyone else get updated. I complained to my service center and they thought that it was because of my poor cellular coverage (despite the fact that I had gotten previous updates there) so they asked me to park the car outside for a couple of nights. Still nothing.

I then resent an email to Tesla (I had already sent them an email and they said to be patient) and, lo and behold, a few nights later I got an update yesterday to 2018.12. The only problem was that there was a notice saying that the update was unsuccessful and that I should wait for another update. So, I'm not sure if I have the full 2018.12 update.

I took the car out for a ride today to see if I got the autopilot update that the model S/X folks have been extolling about. I'm positive that I did. This is subjective, of course, but the car tracked much, much better. No more ping-ponging and me gripping the wheel tightly in case there was a malfunction. I tested it on windy city streets and on the freeway and it tracked in the center of the lane perfectly. BTW, I disengaged it when I saw pedestrians or bicyclists.

But what convinced me that this is the new version of autopilot was that the lane change was very smooth. A lane change with my old autopilot was very sudden.

Using the scroll wheel to change the set speed and the following time/distance was great.

So, in summary, I think that I got the full update and I don't know why it said that it was unsuccessful.

Cliff
You can always check on your tesla app and on the car screen what version you're on.
i always document it before and update an update.

I have been having this bogus "update failure" notice since 2018.4.9, 4.18 and 10.5
Every update, it told me that "update failed" but when you look at the version it got installed just fine. Already reported this issue to the service center.

Oh cool, this is on the scroll wheel now... So many people complained... this was like the main outstanding item. Anything else major is left out that people think is an inconvenience? Map+rear view camera on the same screen?

The map doesn't look any different (I thought that the 3 already had the "improved" nav, but I could be wrong).

The rear camera view is definitely different, more of a rectangle in landscape view. It could be that they just chopped off the upper section. Compared to the original picture from back in December, it's definitely improved (not as grainy), but that improvement occurred a few updates ago.

My pet peeve hasn't changed - I think that the nav directions should be on the left side of the nav screen instead of the right side. They're pretty unreadable as it stands.

Reactions: dhrivnak
Having taken delivery of my first Tesla, a Model 3 on Saturday. I’m currently running 2018.4.18. What is the update experience like, how do you know the update is available? I assume you get a notification on the GUI. What about the app, does it push out a notification? In general how long does an update take to complete? Look forward to 2018.12 with the new autopilot neural net.

Having taken delivery of my first Tesla, a Model 3 on Saturday. I’m currently running 2018.4.18. What is the update experience like, how do you know the update is available? I assume you get a notification on the GUI. What about the app, does it push out a notification? In general how long does an update take to complete? Look forward to 2018.12 with the new autopilot neural net.

App sends a push notification. Also on the main screen in your car towards the top right it also has the red exclamation point. I've read that the download is sometimes available on the car before it is pushed to your app notification (not sure if that is true or not).

You should get the push when it's available to install on the car. How far behind in notifications the servers are (since it uses the normal Apple app notification), you'd hope only a few seconds. Without sitting in the car when you know (lol) you are going to get an update download, sorta hard to test this theory!

Note that once this occurs, all the software is local, and you no longer rely on wifi, etc., to install.

Updates usually take 40-60 minutes to complete, and you can tell it to do it overnight. That's best unless you want to watch. During the day, it's best to start the install, walk away so your phone or fob doesn't interfere, and not come back until your app tells you the car is done. This will probably be the 40-60 minutes. If it's longer, don't touch for 90 minutes, as it has been know to take longer. It will tell you when done. It's like the 'don't unplug your PC while updating' status. :D