TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Quick tire question

Discussion in 'Canada' started by LazMan, Aug 13, 2014.

1. LazMan

LazMan Member

I have the stock Goodyear Eagle RS-A2. I have about 25k on them. I had the tread measured and they are still at 4/32" (front and back). I was told that they should be replaced when they get to about 2/32".

Tesla recommended the Michelin Primacy MXM4 for replacement. The cost is $265 per tire plus labour. However, I can get new Eagles for $130/tire.

What is the advantage of the Michelin tires? Is there any extra value for the extra price?

Thanks!

Laz

2. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

#2 Lloyd, Aug 13, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2014
    I believe they are quieter, and have better wet braking than the Eagles The Michelin Pilot sport 3's are available now in 245-45R19 at about the same price as the Primacy. I have a set of those on order now for my winter tires. (no need for snows in CA:smile:)

3. iKhalid

iKhalid Member

I wouldn't go with the goodyears! i can't wait to replace them...

4. gaswalla

gaswalla P4201/85/airsusp/pano/19i

the goodyears are really cheap at discount tires and tirerack.. about $600 installed, out the door... the question is: are the michelins worth double the cost.

5. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

#5 yobigd20, Aug 13, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2014
    if you value your life, yes. those goodyear's suck at wet traction.

I was very happy when I got rid of them and replaced them with the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3.

6. iKhalid

iKhalid Member

++1

7. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

I've driven on both and the Michelins hold the road far better. The Goodyears have a tendency to skip across the pavement when turning even a little fast. Also the Michelins have had zero flats compared to two in the Goodyears (and over more miles--the flats were why I got rid of the Goodyears).

8. LazMan

LazMan Member

Thanks for these replies. Does anyone know if the Michelins are more efficient, or have less rolling resistance?

9. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

What would be the root cause of that? (Every flat I've ever had has been a nail or screw in the tread). I can't imagine Michelins resist nails better...

10. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

I found the Goodyears to be slightly better on my commute, but not much. GY: 190-210, M 195-220. Tesla's evaluation shows the opposite. Based on a few trips I'd suggest the Michelins have lower rolling resistance at higher speeds than the Goodyears do.

- - - Updated - - -

Well, they could have cleaned up my commuting route or just luck of the draw, but my suspicion is that the belts in the Michelins are more penetration resistant than the ones on the Goodyears. You'd need more than one data point each to draw any real conclusions.