Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Quick tire question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have the stock Goodyear Eagle RS-A2. I have about 25k on them. I had the tread measured and they are still at 4/32" (front and back). I was told that they should be replaced when they get to about 2/32".

Tesla recommended the Michelin Primacy MXM4 for replacement. The cost is $265 per tire plus labour. However, I can get new Eagles for $130/tire.

What is the advantage of the Michelin tires? Is there any extra value for the extra price?

Thanks!

Laz

I believe they are quieter, and have better wet braking than the Eagles The Michelin Pilot sport 3's are available now in 245-45R19 at about the same price as the Primacy. I have a set of those on order now for my winter tires. (no need for snows in CA:smile:)

Last edited:
I've driven on both and the Michelins hold the road far better. The Goodyears have a tendency to skip across the pavement when turning even a little fast. Also the Michelins have had zero flats compared to two in the Goodyears (and over more miles--the flats were why I got rid of the Goodyears).

Thanks for these replies. Does anyone know if the Michelins are more efficient, or have less rolling resistance?

I found the Goodyears to be slightly better on my commute, but not much. GY: 190-210, M 195-220. Tesla's evaluation shows the opposite. Based on a few trips I'd suggest the Michelins have lower rolling resistance at higher speeds than the Goodyears do.

- - - Updated - - -

What would be the root cause of that? (Every flat I've ever had has been a nail or screw in the tread). I can't imagine Michelins resist nails better...

Well, they could have cleaned up my commuting route or just luck of the draw, but my suspicion is that the belts in the Michelins are more penetration resistant than the ones on the Goodyears. You'd need more than one data point each to draw any real conclusions.