Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Race track insurance?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would like to take my Model 3 to the track but, from my understanding, practically all insurance policies will not cover any damage if you have an accident at the drag strip. I have seen several cars lose control and end up in the wall--usually taking out the other car as well, so I really do not want to engage in a high risk activity when Im basically driving without insurance in a 60k car. Are there any companies that offer supplemental drag racing insurance, especially temporary policies?

I would like to take my Model 3 to the track but, from my understanding, practically all insurance policies will not cover any damage if you have an accident at the drag strip. I have seen several cars lose control and end up in the wall--usually taking out the other car as well, so I really do not want to engage in a high risk activity when Im basically driving without insurance in a 60k car. Are there any companies that offer supplemental drag racing insurance, especially temporary policies?
You'd have to be a pretty bad driver to get in to an accident drag racing a Model 3. The cars you see getting into an accidents at a drag strip are RWD and have way more power.

But the other guy can lose control and take you out.
I had a guy hit the wall next to me once, luckily it was just during the burnout and he went towards the outside wall.

I have seen it where folks have trouble because someone else dumped fluids downtrack and didn't get it reported to officials in time. You hit a bunch of coolant or something at 100mph.......

But the other guy can lose control and take you out.
I had a guy hit the wall next to me once, luckily it was just during the burnout and he went towards the outside wall.

I have seen it where folks have trouble because someone else dumped fluids downtrack and didn't get it reported to officials in time. You hit a bunch of coolant or something at 100mph.......
I guess that's true. Definitely don't race anyone that has a parachute on their car! Do they match you up with real drag race cars?

• Funny
Reactions: Dre78 and wenkan
When I was taking my Porsche to the track my insurance agent said “there seem to be a lot of accidents right outside of the gate of that particular track, be careful”.

Yup, plenty of people get a tow to the road and then report the accident lol. For myself, I'd not do that, fraud just isn't a good look. Especially in a Tesla with so much data logging, that's just not smart. Insurance companies might not be paying attention now, but in the future you can bet they will learn to download this data themselves and see exactly what you were doing and where.