Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Racing Brake rear kit 2633-K anyone try it

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That caliper has an EPB built in. A harness is required to adapt the plug from the Model 3 to the S EPB motor connection (should be supplied with the kit I think).

I think the question as to whether you need that rear caliper conversion is down to what track(s) you intend to drive and for how many laps at a time.
There are tracks where just a pad upgrade will be enough. With others you may need a rotor upgrade too. Some will require a BBK if you run a lot of laps and it's a hard track on brakes.

I've looked at that kit but I'm going to take it in stages and move to a front BBK with uprated pads in the stock rear calipers first.

I believe on alot of the S's they use a separate epb though there are some variants that use an 'integrated' model.

Here is a pic of the rear caliper, there is no epm plug like on the m3. Is there epb module that attaches?

Bondo

IMG_20200314_122241.jpg
IMG_20200314_122250.jpg

First batch of this kit is not yet produced. I bought brand new Mundo calipers for Model S for 600$ a pair and waiting for that kit to come within a week or two.

1078541-01-B (MANDO Left RED)
1078542-01-B (MANDO Right RED)
s-l1200.jpg

I don't know where this seller takes them, but he has more for the same price and it's half price vs buying from Tesla (ask your local SC). And I can confirm that it's a real thing totally new (never even installed).

2012-2020 TESLA MODEL S New Rear Left & Right Brake Calipers/ Pads 1078541-01-A | eBay

You have to know, though, that your choice of pads won't be great and I plan to use it solely with XT970 from RB. PD1929-397 - RB XT970 Brake Pad for Tesla Model S/X (2017+) Rear Non Perf. (Dual Function w/e Parking Brake). You can ask RB to not include XT910 in the kit, since any tracking will cook them quite fast.

I believe that larger rotor in the back is necessary for the track (as long as you stopped cooking your front pads and put harder lower springs to decrease weight transfer during braking).

Right now this is the only significantly larger rotor option available, since aftermarket doesn't like to do single piston electric + hydraulic brakes and you can't really put anything thick in M3 rear calipers. And I don't believe many other options will come. I'm surprised seller of rear kit still has that stuff for that price, btw.

I believe on alot of the S's they use a separate epb though there are some variants that use an 'integrated' model.

Here is a pic of the rear caliper, there is no epm plug like on the m3. Is there epb module that attaches?

P.S. Those old 2 caliper Brembo brakes on Model S are not used by Tesla anymore and they DONT fit this kit from RB, so forget about them.

Last edited:
Tesla still uses Brembo caliper with separate parking caliper on all Performance version of S and X. Only non-P S/X models use the Mando caliper with integrate EPB.

They moved away from that with the Raven models. They're the same Mando caliper just painted red.

IMHO upgrading the rear brakes beyond the stock performance calipers is not needed. A set of pads is all you really need, rotors if you really wanted. The stock pads may have only lasted 3 track days, but even they did not fade. I've had RB XT970's on there for 6 track days and they have at least 2 more left in them. Moving to Carbotech RP2's next which should last roughly twice as long.

• Informative
Reactions: bondo and Mash
I used MPP rotors on both front and rear and saved a few pounds; for mild track use the car performed well. Stouter front pads would make it a good trackable street car I think.

To touch on this, the "weak link" is the front brakes, not the rear. MPP rotors and track pads with stock PUP calipers will work great for 90% of people. However, if you are really pushing the car you will get brake fade from the front axle and should look into a BBK.

To touch on this, the "weak link" is the front brakes, not the rear. MPP rotors and track pads with stock PUP calipers will work great for 90% of people. However, if you are really pushing the car you will get brake fade from the front axle and should look into a BBK.

No doubt but my car is street first, sometimes track 2nd :) I actually like the difference in feel in from just the increased sweep area.

First batch of this kit is not yet produced. I bought brand new Mundo calipers for Model S for 600$ a pair and waiting for that kit to come within a week or two.

1078541-01-B (MANDO Left RED)
1078542-01-B (MANDO Right RED)
s-l1200.jpg

I don't know where this seller takes them, but he has more for the same price and it's half price vs buying from Tesla (ask your local SC). And I can confirm that it's a real thing totally new (never even installed).

2012-2020 TESLA MODEL S New Rear Left & Right Brake Calipers/ Pads 1078541-01-A | eBay

You have to know, though, that your choice of pads won't be great and I plan to use it solely with XT970 from RB. PD1929-397 - RB XT970 Brake Pad for Tesla Model S/X (2017+) Rear Non Perf. (Dual Function w/e Parking Brake). You can ask RB to not include XT910 in the kit, since any tracking will cook them quite fast.

I believe that larger rotor in the back is necessary for the track (as long as you stopped cooking your front pads and put harder lower springs to decrease weight transfer during braking).

Right now this is the only significantly larger rotor option available, since aftermarket doesn't like to do single piston electric + hydraulic brakes and you can't really put anything thick in M3 rear calipers. And I don't believe many other options will come. I'm surprised seller of rear kit still has that stuff for that price, btw.

P.S. Those old 2 caliper Brembo brakes on Model S are not used by Tesla anymore and they DONT fit this kit from RB, so forget about them.

Admittedly I havent called RB yet about the Mando brakes but i just assumed the xt970 were not available based upon their website. Based upon their chart it looks like the older brembo is the first listed and the second is the mando since it has the epb.

table (2).png

Admittedly I havent called RB yet about the Mando brakes but i just assumed the xt970 were not available based upon their website. Based upon their chart it looks like the older brembo is the first listed and the second is the mando since it has the epb.

View attachment 522007

RB will make a XT970 pad for Mando caliper if there enough people asking for them. RB already has the backing plate for the pad from XT910 pad they sell, just a matter of working with their pad supplier for 970.

View attachment 522007
It's not on the website, but I ordered and paid it with them directly. My understanding that first batch of all that stuff is finishing painting. Use the product code pd1929-397. Whole kit is not for the Brembo at all, so don't buy wrong calipers.

I bought the same calipers that @Mash got on ebay with the intention to retrofit using the RB kit. I have a AWD with acceleration boost. I contacted RB and they said that cars without the PUP rear brakes won't need an adapter harness to swap to these Mondo calipers. It will just plug right in.

Even though i bought the calipers, i still don't know if ill move forward with them. Part of me wants to just trade my M3D in for a M3P, then throw all the parts i already have onto that car. Ugh..decisions.

Regardless, I look forward to seeing this kit on your car @Mash.

I bought the same calipers that @Mash got on ebay with the intention to retrofit using the RB kit. I have a AWD with acceleration boost. I contacted RB and they said that cars without the PUP rear brakes won't need an adapter harness to swap to these Mondo calipers. It will just plug right in.

Even though i bought the calipers, i still don't know if ill move forward with them. Part of me wants to just trade my M3D in for a M3P, then throw all the parts i already have onto that car. Ugh..decisions.

Regardless, I look forward to seeing this kit on your car @Mash.
They told me the same, that P brakes need a harness, so I'm waiting.

From my perspective, if you actually going to be on the track (not just once to demolish your stock tires) and you are going to put a lot in suspension, brakes, wider smaller rims and track tires - you will be severely limited by the absence of track mode, especially with customizations it got now.

And if I were a product manager at Tesla I would never give an upgrade for LR AWD to get Track Mode, because that would be massive income loss on people who would not buy P version anymore under assumption that they can upgrade later (and most of them never would). So IMHO such an upgrade never going to happen. So it's up to you, but delay on that exchange would cost only more over time.

Good points. I’m pretty surprised that they even gave the boost upgrade. When I ordered my car I never thought I would think to track it, but it just looks so fun!

I always hesitated trading the car in because I always thought “what if Tesla did a full track mode upgrade?” I’m with you that it will probably never happen.

Last edited:
eBay seller decreased price to 550$. Not sure if it's just for me.
Good points. I’m pretty surprised that they even gave the boost upgrade. When I ordered my car I never thought I would think to track it, but it just looks so fun!

I always hesitated trading the car in because I always thought “what if Tesla did a full track mode upgrade?” I’m with you that it will probably never happen.
Just make sure you will be actually going to track. I don't know if you were doing it before already, but if not, here is a short list of IMHOs that you can try to guesstimate about that probability:
1. You have either good track options with fast charging facilities nearby or plenty of time for travel if they far.
2. You are ready to buy few sets of tires, pads and brake rotors every year.
3. You are ok with 25% chance of mild accidents per year that would require few months of car fixing.
4. You are ok with 10% chance a year of car totalling with potential mild injuries.
5. You are competitive by nature and that regularly shows somewhere throughout your life.
6. You are ok that your results will be *sugar* for years and more important that it will be improving.
7. You aware that with all of the above - you only going to be competing with yourself most of the time.
8. You are ok that your car being dual purpose will be making all kind of noises and would be generally uncomfortable on the street.
9. You are ready to go to school and learn basics from the beginning.
10. You are not crazy enough to kill yourself by overconfidence and impatience.

Again, those are just my IMHOs and might be irrelevant to you if you have some experience already. But I just saw way too many people who were overly optimistic about building dual purpose car and found themselves in a money pit, frustrations and even hospitals.

Good thing about Tesla that this money pit is not too deep for now - not many things you can actually change for the track - rims, tires, pads, brake fluid, sway bars, coilovers and camber arms. Totally enough to try and see if it's for you or not.

And if you have an autox around - always start from that without any mods first.

If you actually don't plan to go to the track, you don't need larger brakes. Especially in the rear. And you don't really need track mode on the street unless you can't live without drifting in an empty parking lot.

Hope it will be useful for somebody even though it's a wrong thread for it

eBay seller decreased price to 550$. Not sure if it's just for me.

Just make sure you will be actually going to track. I don't know if you were doing it before already, but if not, here is a short list of IMHOs that you can try to guesstimate about that probability:
1. You have either good track options with fast charging facilities nearby or plenty of time for travel if they far.
2. You are ready to buy few sets of tires, pads and brake rotors every year.
3. You are ok with 25% chance of mild accidents per year that would require few months of car fixing.
4. You are ok with 10% chance a year of car totalling with potential mild injuries.
5. You are competitive by nature and that regularly shows somewhere throughout your life.
6. You are ok that your results will be *sugar* for years and more important that it will be improving.
7. You aware that with all of the above - you only going to be competing with yourself most of the time.
8. You are ok that your car being dual purpose will be making all kind of noises and would be generally uncomfortable on the street.
9. You are ready to go to school and learn basics from the beginning.
10. You are not crazy enough to kill yourself by overconfidence and impatience.

Again, those are just my IMHOs and might be irrelevant to you if you have some experience already. But I just saw way too many people who were overly optimistic about building dual purpose car and found themselves in a money pit, frustrations and even hospitals.

Good thing about Tesla that this money pit is not too deep for now - not many things you can actually change for the track - rims, tires, pads, brake fluid, sway bars, coilovers and camber arms. Totally enough to try and see if it's for you or not.

And if you have an autox around - always start from that without any mods first.

If you actually don't plan to go to the track, you don't need larger brakes. Especially in the rear. And you don't really need track mode on the street unless you can't live without drifting in an empty parking lot.

Hope it will be useful for somebody even though it's a wrong thread for it

I always buy track insurance. It's not cheap, but at least if I put the car upside down into a wall I won't be losing my entire investment.

Once you get the setup right, you can get away with 1 set of tires and pads per season (figuring 12-15 days per year).

You will burn through money so fast you don't know where it went.

Safety isn't too much of a concern these days, the probability of being permanently injured in a new car is very low. Not impossible though.

Model 3 is good for dualing, no pad squeal, no loud exhaust, it stays pretty comfortable as a dual purpose car.

I always buy track insurance. It's not cheap, but at least if I put the car upside down into a wall I won't be losing my entire investment.
Once you get the setup right, you can get away with 1 set of tires and pads per season (figuring 12-15 days per year).
You will burn through money so fast you don't know where it went.
Safety isn't too much of a concern these days, the probability of being permanently injured in a new car is very low. Not impossible though.
Model 3 is good for dualing, no pad squeal, no loud exhaust, it stays pretty comfortable as a dual purpose car.
I agree with all of that. M3 is not a perfect platform for a proper track car by itself (weight, size, cost, no power tuning). But it could be exceptionally good for dual-use.

I wish we had track insurance here.

And probability of injury is not very high if you're careful - when I lived in China it was way more often than it should be. One dumbass tried to chase my track-prepped Evo on stock Lancer ended up totalling his car and a broken arm and leg after a few turns. Also, a lot depends on a track - some of them very dangerous (but you can spot such places by damages on a fence). And then, there is rain sometime or idiots.

Last edited: