Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Radio stopped working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Radio stopped working

I have a September 2018 Model S. I rarely use the FM radio, but I tried to use it today and it did not work at all. When I go to the radio tab, I only see Direct Tune on the left hand side, there is no button for Stations or Presets. And even though the Direct Tune button is there, it doesn't work.

Also, I tried to activate a Sirius XM subscribe and it isn't working either. Clicking on any stations results in an infinity spinning loading wheel and nothing else.

Note that my car came with the newer infotainment (so it did not need or get the upgrade that removes AM, FM, and Sirius XM).

Both regular radio and Sirius XM used to work although it had been a while since I used either.

I have tried multiple reboots but they didn't help.

Does anyone have any ideas what might be going on and how to get it working again? With football season starting up, I'll be using the radio so I'd like to get it figured out.

Try firing a car power down via the MCU screen, exit the car for 5 min, then come back.

if that doesn’t work, pull the negative terminal off the 12v battery and let it sit for 5 min then replace and see if that works.

goal is to get the tuner module itself to reboot

Reboots and time seem to fix this issue of missing audio stuff on my 2020 S after the last updates. SiriusXM had completely gone away. Then after reboots, it came back but wasn't working. Then it worked. Tesla seem to take several days for updates to settle in and the car to kind of work like it used to. Your issue is a software issue with a recent update. Should clear up either through reboots, time, or another update.

I’ve read where rebooting solves the issue, temporarily, for some. It has not worked for me, and I’ve tried all the different ways folks have posted about. I think the Raleigh service center even reset everything, as all my preferences had been cleared. Nothing has worked, and they believe the solution has to come from the development team.

Reactions: DerbyDave
All comments in this OP match my experience with SW needing revision.

However, you could also have a bad radio module.

I had mine replaced a few months back and it fixed the Sirius xm and fm problem until a SW version (I forgot which one) blew everything up again.

In my case the satellite radio was added during the FM only / analog, upfit to FM / Satellite digital (which I paid for). The tech checked out the module and saw it working when he installed it. By the time I picked up the car all I had was the spinning wheel. I have (literally) never seen it work. When I took the car back to Tesla a second time they checked it pretty carefully and concluded that it was a software bug that corporate had to fix. That said, two software versions later I'm still waiting, not sure when this will be fixed.

• Informative
Reactions: X Fan