Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rage at a Supercharger Station

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
why brings you to this hypothesis? are you saying that model s/x owners are all obnoxious

You joined September 2015, so you probably don't really remember the whining when the D and the 90 were introduced and people had just confirmed their orders for the suddenly not-so-top-dog version. And yes, "top dog version" is an actual phrase from one of those posts ...

• Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
What possible justification for such entitlement could there be?

Unfortunately there are people out there who feel more entitled to things than others. Their time is worth more than yours, etc. This attitude happens at all levels of the income scale, (which is why I no longer use free public Level 2 chargers BTW - too much asshattery), but it does seem to be more common at the top ends. Tesla is a status symbol car for that type of person, and that crowd may not be very tolerant of all the lessers clogging up their superchargers.

The Model 3 will be easy to identify as the "cheaper" car at a supercharger station vs a Model S60, etc. So, I could see a few people thinking that their time MUST be more valuable since they own a $140k Model X which cost them way more than that Model 3 owner.

Last edited:
As an Asian myself, this kind of news always make me feel sick. Some Asian people just can follow the god damn rules. And make all Asian people look bad. I would suggest the lady sell her car, use the money to get some education or learn how to behave.

So cal has a huge issue with lack of charging stations during peak times. They are basically just starting to ramp sales of the model x and it's just gonna get worse. San Diego could use 3-5 chargers and Orange County could handle about 10. Hope tesla is paying attention, it really sours people to A-wait for a charger than B-get into a fight over it. Especially when you have no option, like apartment dwellers. I think waiting 30 minutes for a charge is bad enough, waiting 20-40 minutes to start charging is real bad.
Holidays and Superchargers I totally get. Peak times and Superchargers I don't. These are Teslas we're talking about ... the 70D can go like three times farther on a charge than a Leaf. Do so many people really commute 200+ km a day that they NEED to Supercharge to get home? When the car is empty it charges ridiculously fast anyways (~1 km every ten seconds) ... 10 minutes should be more than enough for most apartment-dwellers, no? Again, it comes back to being considerate and not charging longer than you have to.

• Helpful
As an Asian myself, this kind of news always make me feel sick. Some Asian people just can follow the rules. And make all Asian people look bad. I would suggest the lady sell her car, use the money to get some education or learn how to behave.
I know great people from various "races" and, if one takes a moment to think about it, one realizes that there are nice and not-so-nice people everywhere. I wouldn't take it personally. Probably just a bad day for both parties so it didn't take much to fan the embers into flame.

This thread mirrors my concern of overcrowding that I have shared with friends for some time.

I will always continue to charge at home for my local SoCal travel. A Tesla vehicle has adequate range after charging at home for most daily use. The range will continue to increase in the future as higher battery capacities are available.

When it comes to longer travel, I foresee several solutions over the years:

1. Enjoy the Superchargers at times when they are accessible.
2. Wait in line if the Superchargers are full or seek an alternative CHAdeMO or other private party locations.
3. Rent or use an existing gas car for travel when the wait for Supercharging becomes excessive.
4. When gasoline is no longer available, demand metered live power infrastructure in the Interstate roadbed to charge while driving. No Supercharger wait will be needed.

If there are 10,000 Superchargers and 10 million Tesla EVs fighting for them, remember, you could fly across the country.

Im curious of how many of these crowded superchargers are filled up by road trippers (I assume basically none). Let me know what you guys think but it seems silly to be irritated at waiting for a charger when your car has 200+ miles of range, and the average commute is not 200 round trip. Why not just charge at home for your commuting and avoid the madness? I did the CA to FL trip and the only crowded one was in Van Nuys with what seemed to be people just charging before heading home.

Does anyone have an idea to help promote only charging at superchargers on trips or when unexpectedly low battery happens.

• Helpful
I think the stated purpose by Tesla of the SC network is to enable long distance travel along Interstates. If SCs continue to be clogged by locals looking for a free charge, Tesla may make local charging less convenient perhaps by limiting locals to, for example, only 10 KWH at a time or only two or three visits to a local SC per month. I would think they could do this by matching VIN to owner's address at time of charging and imposing whatever rules they come up with.

Reactions: Mark Z
Tesla's expansion plans, given the insane amount of Model 3 preorders, are significantly short of the potential need. This is going to set the stage for things to get potentially ugly....
Jeff

Just wondering...do you know something about Tesla's Supercharger expansion plans that we don't, or are you making that statement based on the information provided during the Model 3 reveal? Because if you are simply making the statement based on the Model 3 reveal information, you don't have enough information to reach the conclusion that you have reached.

Elon Musk stated that Tesla planned to double the number of Superchargers by the end of 2017. We know the Model 3s are just going to start hitting the road then, so clearly there won't be a problem yet at that point, assuming Tesla at least gets in the ballpark of reaching the stated goal of doubling the number of Superchargers. For all we know, Tesla may plan on doubling the end of 2017 number by the end of 2018. Or they may plan on tripling it or quadrupling it or increasing it by 1000%!

My point is, Tesla hasn't told us what those plans are, so saying that their expansion plans are significantly short of the potential need is a statement that simply can't be made with the information we currently have.

Anytime you make something unlimited, you're going to have issues if the supply is not unlimited.
It's only going to get MUCH MUCH worse in 2 years. Even if the number of SC doubles, it's not going to be enough if the number or cars more than doubles.

Reactions: halg
Ultimately the real solution is to build out charging infrastructure at work, at home and apartments. Tesla's superchargers can only do so much and it is a major draw to buy a Tesla vs. other EVs.

However, it we all really want to see greater adoption of EVs, we should be asking for more local charging resources, so we're not dependent on the gas station model of charging. Ideally, included charging resources at work and apartments would be best. Any govt incentives for corporations for that?

• Helpful
This thread mirrors my concern of overcrowding that I have shared with friends for some time.

I will always continue to charge at home for my local SoCal travel. A Tesla vehicle has adequate range after charging at home for most daily use. The range will continue to increase in the future as higher battery capacities are available.

When it comes to longer travel, I foresee several solutions over the years:

1. Enjoy the Superchargers at times when they are accessible.
2. Wait in line if the Superchargers are full or seek an alternative CHAdeMO or other private party locations.
3. Rent or use an existing gas car for travel when the wait for Supercharging becomes excessive.
4. When gasoline is no longer available, demand metered live power infrastructure in the Interstate roadbed to charge while driving. No Supercharger wait will be needed.

If there are 10,000 Superchargers and 10 million Tesla EVs fighting for them, remember, you could fly across the country.

Good points

With your second point about waiting in line could the tesla route planner not show the status of the supercharger and how many cars are waiting giving them queue number ( even have the auto pilot feature move the car ).

Secondly there a good article on induction charging plans here

UK to trial in-road wireless charging tech for electric vehicles