TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Rage at a Supercharger Station

Discussion in 'Model S' started by raijin, Mar 29, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Edmond

Edmond Permanon

• Like x 3
  2. dbullard

dbullard Member

George Carlin said it best: "Think of how stupid the average person really is. Then remember that half of them are stupider than that"

Works for a lot of stuff, not just stupidity

• Like x 9
    • Funny x 1
  3. freeewilly

freeewilly Member

I took family to SeaWorld over the weekend, I was there about the same time yesterday, only 3 MS charging.
    I thought this is not one of the busy SC.

4. Andyw2100

Andyw2100 Supporting Member

Wait, what?

freeewilly took your family to Seaworld? Wasn't there a big deal, movie, etc., about you getting out of that place, and you went back? :)

• Funny x 15
    • Like x 1
  5. Az_Rael

Az_Rael Supporting Member

That is unfortunate, and as one other poster noted, the more "mainstream" Teslas become the more likely these sorts of things might happen. Its already occurring in the over burdened public Level 2 charging network here in SoCal. I have pretty much stopped trying to charge at public stations due to all the negative experiences. The free ones are the worst. Its like civility goes out the window when something is "free".

Its something I worry about if the Supercharger network remains "all you can eat" the way it is now. People don't do free or unlimited well beyond some critical mass. And right now, with no defined Supercharger policy, it just creates confusion as to what people are actually getting when they buy the car (or what they paid for when they upgraded to supercharger access)

• Like x 3
  6. Maaz

Maaz Member

Hmmm there is only one supercharger in San Diego and it has a lot of
    Stalls and I've never seen it close to capacity. I guess I go at just the right times.

• Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
  7. Mark Z

Mark Z Active Member

I needed to stop at Rancho Cucamonga on Monday midday. Busy location. Model X needs more kW, so 45 minutes was required. Good to see that Temecula is under construction and Santa Ana has a permit.

• Like x 1
  8. ggnykk

ggnykk Active Member

The 12 stalls supercharger at San Diego is maxed out already?

• Like x 1
  9. andrewket

andrewket Well-Known Member

My thoughts exactly. The one and only time I've had an argument with another owner at an SC is when I was waiting in line and a local tried to sneak in saying he had a "reservation".

• Informative x 1
  10. GlmnAlyAirCar

GlmnAlyAirCar Active Member

I'm a huge Carlin fan, but in this case he's conflating average (mean) with median.

• Like x 2
  11. David_Cary

David_Cary Member

#31 David_Cary, Mar 30, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2016
    Have the mods given any thought to a waiting period for new members before they are able to start new posts? Maybe a verified VIN and you could bypass. Just saying, since there are a few new members tat seem like shorts spreading FUD. This story might be true but has zero credibility to me even if the member has a whole 2 months of history and 4 posts total

• Disagree x 3
    • Like x 2
  12. kort677

kort677 Banned

isn't that the site where it's april fools day every day?

13. ThosEM

ThosEM Space Weatherman

This makes me think that the supercharger configurations will have to be rethought at some point, to allow drive-through use instead of parking in a "spot". They will need to operate more like a gas station with pumps, so that a clear line can be formed leading up to each spot or perhaps two spots (A and B). Pumps become oversubscribed all the time on heavily traveled highways in the summer, for example along the NJ pike. The wait can be pretty long but lines form up and progress through the station in an orderly fashion. I'm not convinced there will be any electronic substitute for that at superchargers.

• Like x 3
  14. TexasEV

TexasEV Well-Known Member

If you think taking 30 minutes to charge at a supercharger is "bad enough", maybe a Tesla isn't for you. As much
    as I promote EVs in general and Tesla in particular, I admit they're not for everyone or everyone's driving situation.

15. Superloud

Superloud Member

I read your reply and for a minute it blew my mind because you're right!
    But...isn't the population of people large enough that these things more or less fall in a standard distribution, in which case, the median is pretty much the same as the mean? Meaning (pun intended), Carlin's use of the word mean wasn't really far enough off to make a difference to his point.

• Like x 3
  16. kort677

kort677 Banned

owning a tesla may not be appropriate for everyone. some people who do not have the ability to have a reliable, on demand source of charging should think long and hard about the tesla being the right car for them..

• Like x 1
  17. Caligula

Caligula Member

Both people in this story are technically "Asian". As the OP made a point to delineate race, I figured it needed to be said.

• Like x 5
    • Helpful x 1
  18. brutewolf

brutewolf Member

I really could have done without specifying ethnicities. It did not help the story in any way. I'm reasonably certain that you are neither an "Asian" woman or an "Indian" woman, or you wouldn't have mentioned it.

Next time, start the story with, "Two people who have nothing in common with me except owning a Tesla..." It has the same ring to it.

Or even better, describe them as, "Two people who obviously don't have the patience to own an EV..." Because we could probably all agree with that.

There's enough tension in the world as it is, as your story otherwise demonstrates.

• Like x 2
    • Funny x 1
  19. wolfson292

wolfson292 Architect

#39 wolfson292, Mar 30, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2016
    Only two spots at the Bethesda charger and someone parks in one not even charging. Not an ICE but a Model S so they know better. Can't upload the photo from my phone but the owner of MD 67927 is definitely causing me some rage. Two empty spots they could have used.

20. hill

hill Active Member

Cat Fight !!!

:D