Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rain Deflector Needed?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have had my M3 for about a month and a half now. I don’t think it’s even rained once since I’ve driven it, but I have seen a lot of complaints about rain pouring into the trunk when opened if it’s raining outside. Has this been fixed or is it still a big issue?

If it is, what is the recommended fix? I saw rpmtesla sells a rain deflector, but I also found one on amazon for about 1/3 of the cost: https://www.amazon.com/BASENOR-Tesla-Deflector-Window-Spoiler/dp/B0859WJW6X

Anyone have firsthand experience with the Amazon rain deflector? Do either of these affect range at all? I appreciate any recommendations on how I can prepare for some heavy rains this winter

It has not been fixed. My March 2020 delivered m3 still has this problem. Thanks for the amazon llnk. I might pick one of those up.

I find it as one of the funnier things about these cars. They built a car that can drive itself but dropped the ball with little things like keeping rain out of the trunk. :)

Experience: Florida. Torrential rains every afternoon in the summer.

This was an issue with the first delivered M3. Somewhere at the end of 2019 they changed the backend and the issue is gone. You dont need anything extra to keep rain out of the trunk. (Experience: I live in the Netherlands, where it rains hard and very often).

It has not been fixed. My March 2020 delivered m3 still has this problem. Thanks for the amazon llnk. I might pick one of those up.

I find it as one of the funnier things about these cars. They built a car that can drive itself but dropped the ball with little things like keeping rain out of the trunk. :)

Experience: Florida. Torrential rains every afternoon in the summer.

These totally opposite opinions are exactly why I created this thread. How could 2 experiences be so different with the same vehicle? Rain is rain

• Funny
Reactions: lUtriaNt
Torrential ?

I don't want to get caught up on the language. One guy said "very hard" and the other guy said "torrential". Those are basically the same thing (and torrential might be exaggerated a bit). I have lived in FL most of my life and it does rain really hard...I'm sure it rains just as hard in other areas as well like the Netherlands

My M3 is parked outside all the time. We have had very heavy rains this year and I have yet to get water in the trunk. Our M3 is a 2019.
I think you may have the wrong impression of the OP's issue. The problem of rain getting inside the trunk occurs when the trunk is OPEN and there's a heavy downpour. The water running off the back window cascades into the trunk by skipping over the channel meant to divert water away. It's not that there's a leak when the trunk is closed; it's calling out a poor design choice seen when you have the trunk open and it's raining.

Feb 2019 build, and definitely get water in the trunk, if there’s enough on the trunk. I’m not in the Netherlands, nor in FL, but MN. It also rains here, and sometimes hard, or torrential.

As Rayk says above, it happens when lifting the trunk, with standing water on it. The water hits the back glass, cascading down, and past the seal and the diversion channel.

In summary: My Model 3 does get water in the trunk, and it rains (sometimes hard/torrential) in MN.

I think you may have the wrong impression of the OP's issue. The problem of rain getting inside the trunk occurs when the trunk is OPEN and there's a heavy downpour. The water running off the back window cascades into the trunk by skipping over the channel meant to divert water away. It's not that there's a leak when the trunk is closed; it's calling out a poor design choice seen when you have the trunk open and it's raining.
I get in my car's trunk during heavy rain. Kind of haven't been able to avoid that this year.
Before you ASSSUME to know what someone else understands, maybe you should keep quiet.

I get in my car's trunk during heavy rain. Kind of haven't been able to avoid that this year.
Before you ASSSUME to know what someone else understands, maybe you should keep quiet.
This is a public forum where people are encouraged to share their experiences, and optionally, to offer advice. As your post was very light on details I was just making sure that you're on the same page as everybody else. Sorry for ASSSUMING what you meant.

• Funny
I don't want to get caught up on the language. One guy said "very hard" and the other guy said "torrential". Those are basically the same thing (and torrential might be exaggerated a bit). I have lived in FL most of my life and it does rain really hard...I'm sure it rains just as hard in other areas as well like the Netherlands

My idea of "torrential" is I can just barely see the trees 100' away outside my office window. Or put another way, if you are driving when it is raining like this you slow down because you can't see that far ahead.

Ironically it was raining just like this when I posted my initial response. This happens a lot in the summer.

If you have the misfortune of needing to open the trunk during a downpour like this, it gets a lot of water in it, fast. I have a rubber mat in there to deal with the water. I'm not sure those little "spoilers" would help in this situation either. Just look at the 6-8" tall dams they install on gutters here to deal with situations like this. It probably works pretty well for normal rain, though.

Another source of water entering the trunk occurs just opening the trunk after a rain storm. Water collects on the trunk lid and goes right into the trunk when you open it. I guess you'll say I'm opening my trunk wrong. :rolleyes:

Maybe tesla made it better but they definitely didn't solve this problem. The angle of the rear glass is just right for directing large amounts of water right into the trunk. I've learned to live with it.

Maybe the difference in experience some people are having is due to the angle of the car when its parked? It wouldn't be too hard to check, but I bet the higher the front end the worse the problem is. For instance, I usually back up into my driveway, so my front end is significantly lower than my rear. And never have an issue with rain, but I've never tried opening it in a torrential downpour. I bet if I was parked the other way I might be telling a different story.

You could be on to something.... I too back into my driveway so the front end is lower than the back. At work, when I used to go there, I was in a covered garage so no issue there. A couple of times out shopping this past year when it was raining I did get a couple of drops in the trunk when I loaded groceries, but nothing like what some people are saying. FWIW, 6/18 build.

Despite the historically low amount of rain we are getting here (again; maybe the start of another drought), I'm thinking about getting the BASENOR deflector. Seems to be cheap enough insurance for keeping (most of) the rain out.

I have had my M3 for about a month and a half now. I don’t think it’s even rained once since I’ve driven it, but I have seen a lot of complaints about rain pouring into the trunk when opened if it’s raining outside. Has this been fixed or is it still a big issue?

If it is, what is the recommended fix? I saw rpmtesla sells a rain deflector, but I also found one on amazon for about 1/3 of the cost: https://www.amazon.com/BASENOR-Tesla-Deflector-Window-Spoiler/dp/B0859WJW6X

Anyone have firsthand experience with the Amazon rain deflector? Do either of these affect range at all? I appreciate any recommendations on how I can prepare for some heavy rains this winter

I'm sure it works but boy does that spoiler above the trunk look ugly... i'd also be worried about (slightly) reduced range

• Funny
You might be right about the angle at which the car is parked at.

I've noticed that at work where I park to charge the car the front is lower than the rear. This reduces the slope of the glass but now the trunk deck is much closer to level which allows more water to accumulate. I need to open the trunk either really fast so most of the water is directed on to the glass or really slow so it has a chance to run off the sides instead of right into the trunk.

Of course the optimal trunk opening velocity is difficult to explain to the people loading the groceries into the trunk so I end up with a wet trunk and groceries.That's why I have the mat. :)

But when it is really raining it doesn't really matter.