Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rain sensing wipers - AP2 (is there a trick)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All,

I have the setting turned on for auto-wipers but as far as I can tell they don't seem to work. At the lowest setting the wipers just run continuously with a delay/pause at the bottom. This happens rain or shine.

Am I missing something? Rain sensing wipers worked fine on my P85D.

Thanks,
Tim

Something is not right. I had a P85D which had a separate Bosche rain sensor. They are now using one of the front facing cameras with AI. At least for me, when rain sensing finally rolled out it really sucked, but has steadily improved. The only thing I for some reason get a false wipe from is my LED garage lights. Otherwise they turn off when no rain. I would bring up with service. If you find anything out, please share.

All,

I have the setting turned on for auto-wipers but as far as I can tell they don't seem to work. At the lowest setting the wipers just run continuously with a delay/pause at the bottom. This happens rain or shine.

Thanks,
Tim

That does not sound like the way AP2 autowipers behave. They are certainly not perfect but I agree they are getting better.

Normally people complain that they are too insensitive. Wont wipe until the windscreen is very wet, but I’ve been able to make them work well enough on low sensitivity with a recent build.

They don’t work super well at night - seem to need a bit of external light to see the raindrops effectively.

They are quirky - showing the car a dark wall, or a dark line of trees will often trigger phantom wiping as the NN interprets the dark as being a blocked/dirty windscreen.

Running constantly - no I think something else is wrong.

Just for sure, do you have the ring in right position? (I worked as customer support for a while :) ) Or, does it wipe continuously in all positions? If so, I'd call service
Ultimate solution - go to Freemont and kick Musk's a** to make him existing stuff working instead of "Atari games" features

All,

Thanks,
Tim
You are probably aware that there is two switches, but you post is ambiguous on this. One software setting "enable auto wipers (beta)" AND the wiper stalk. If not the first is enabled, the wipers will act with a fixed interval in the first to settings on the wiper stalk.

My experience is that when I take the wipers from "off" to the lowest level of auto (first click after off), the wipers run fast and continuously for about 4-5 wipes (presumably as the camera and software determine what the rain level looks like), it then always slow down to some level of intermittent wiping (assuming I'm not in heavy rain where I would want them wiping continuously anyway). But those first wipes do seem to last a long time and make you think it's not working...