Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ran Over a Curb...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got my M3 a few weeks ago. Accidently ran over curb slowly.. got home and clear liquid is leaking. Hopefully that is just from the AC? Also, should I be worried about driving through puddles and rain now? Is the seal damaged possibly?

1000007986.jpg

Attachments

• 20240530_192351.jpg
    20240530_192351.jpg
    321.2 KB · Views: 6
  • 20240530_192404.jpg
    20240530_192404.jpg
    372.8 KB · Views: 6
  • 20240530_192359.jpg
    20240530_192359.jpg
    429 KB · Views: 7
Clear liquid is almost certainly just condensation from the AC system. If it was greenish/blueish it could be coolant. If it's light blue it's w/s washer fluid.

Theoretically possible to damage a coolant line, but they're tucked really far up and in. I don't think a low speed curb would get anywhere near that.

Clear liquid is almost certainly just condensation from the AC system. If it was greenish/blueish it could be coolant. If it's light blue it's w/s washer fluid.

Theoretically possible to damage a coolant line, but they're tucked really far up and in. I don't think a low speed curb would get anywhere near that.
Should I be worried about the seal for the battery? The plastic trim as seen in the pictures is bulging out a bit.

So I shouldn't worry about water getting into the bulge from that trim piece if it's raining or if I go through a puddle?
if you are worried about water getting INTO the battery pack, no, don't worry. Water's going to get in there, it probably already does anyway. That's just a body trim piece. But you should avoid puddles anyway, regardless of this cracked rocker panel.

The dripping in the front center of your car is from AC drain. Normal.

The dripping from the side skirts area doesn’t look normal unless you just drove through a puddle and water coming out. There are coolant lines and brake lines in that side skirts area. Cant tell how deep your hit is from pics.

Keep an eye on brake fluid and coolant reservoirs. Along with if it’s a persistent drip or stops. If clear then unlikely its coolant.

Last edited:
The rocker area doesn't seal anything, so no issues. The rest looks like water condensate, but put a white paper towel under to catch it, to see if there's any color that might indicate it's something besides water.

The rocker area doesn't seal anything, so no issues. The rest looks like water condensate, but put a white paper towel under to catch it, to see if there's any color that might indicate it's something besides water.
Right. Earlier it looked clear when I tried that. Just worried about the cost to fix all this and the nearest service center is around 2 hours away.🙃

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
wouldn't worry about coolant or brake lines if the liquid is clear. however that dented rocker panel won't be cheap to fix... it's not a part which can be readily replaced without major bodywork and welding + painting. would be surprised if it can be fixed for less than $5k.

It looks like a simple fix? | Tesla
That's the plastic bottom part. The metal part is what he was talking about. It's expensive/involved enough that some people just buy some aftermarket side skirts to cover it up.

Unlike the Model Y, the metal part is part of the body (go from the rear quarter panel to the metal rocker, you will see it is one continuous piece). So it requires cutting and welding for a "proper" repair. Other less expensive methods may be body filler or if it is minor enough perhaps PDR, but that's not the "proper" method for replacement.

Reactions: texas_star_TM3
That's the plastic bottom part. The metal part is what he was talking about. It's expensive/involved enough that some people just buy some aftermarket side skirts to cover it up.

Unlike the Model Y, the metal part is part of the body (go from the rear quarter panel to the metal rocker, you will see it is one continuous piece). So it requires cutting and welding for a "proper" repair. Other less expensive methods may be body filler or if it is minor enough perhaps PDR, but that's not the "proper" method for replacement.
correct. cracked rocker panel plastic covers are ~$200 / cover from the SC and you can install yourself. the dented actual rocker panel is metal and part of the entire frame. dumb design and cost prohibitive to fix in most cases imho.