Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Random Model S sightings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I like backing in. ;)

Backing in is much safer than backing out because when you back in you can see the obstructions (because you just drove by). I always either back in or pull through so that when I'm leaving I'm driving forward. My only problem is that the charge port is on the wrong side of the car, so in my case I'll have to park close to the passenger's side of the driveway so that the UMC will reach because the electrical outlet is on the passenger's side when the Model S is backed in.

Tesla really needs to consider having a selectable charge port on either side (that is, two charge ports but only one active). This shouldn't be too hard to do.

...Tesla really needs to consider having a selectable charge port on either side (that is, two charge ports but only one active). This shouldn't be too hard to do...

I still think it would be 'cool' if they could have a charge flap on each side, and the ability to have each one active to its' own charger in the car. (The Model S has the option to have 2 charger modules, but I think they wire them for one joined input, not separate.) That way if you found two J1772 spaces available you could charge from both at once and get 13.2kW instead of 6.6kW. There are lots of 'public' sites that have multiple 6.6kW (30A) J1772s and frequently 2 are available at once. Of course you would leave the J1772s unlocked so if someone needed one of the plugs they could unplug one of them and still leave the Model S charging at 6.6kW.

I still think it would be 'cool' if they could have a charge flap on each side, and the ability to have each one active to its' own charger in the car. (The Model S has the option to have 2 charger modules, but I think they wire them for one joined input, not separate.) That way if you found two J1772 spaces available you could charge from both at once and get 13.2kW instead of 6.6kW. There are lots of 'public' sites that have multiple 6.6kW (30A) J1772s and frequently 2 are available at once. Of course you would leave the J1772s unlocked so if someone needed one of the plugs they could unplug one of them and still leave the Model S charging at 6.6kW.

Of course if L1 and L2 happen to be reversed between the two chargers, that could be a costly mistake (or two phases from a 3 phase office park source). I think there is a good bit of work to make sure enabling of charging from two sources won't damage anything.

Peter

Of course if L1 and L2 happen to be reversed between the two chargers, that could be a costly mistake (or two phases from a 3 phase office park source). I think there is a good bit of work to make sure enabling of charging from two sources won't damage anything.
Peter
Not if the chargers were isolated from each other.
I wasn't suggesting that they parallel the AC, rather they send one AC feed to one charger, and another AC feed to the other charger. They could parallel the DC output to the battery, but keep the inputs isolated from each other. (Note, I am not an EE, but sometimes I think I know what I am talking about.)

tumblr_m8eei6OS1K1rvdtfpo1_1280.jpg

Photo: Tesla Model S (Taken with Instagram at Manny’s Coffee Shop & Deli) (Edit: Chicago?)

https://twitter.com/mattraskin/status/232908908396687360