Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Random Model S sightings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Finally saw my first Tesla in Italy! And it was in my hometown (Lignano Sabbiadoro), incredible. It looks amazing.
FB.jpg
FB2.jpg

Wednesday afternoon I pulled up next to a white Model S by the Hilton in downtown St. Pete. The driver looked over and I waved. He looked perplex for a second, wondering why I was waving. Then he looked down and the door handle, realized I was driving a Model S. He got all excited and said something to the passenger who leaned forward to look. Then he rolled the window down to speak, but the light changed and we had to go. Almost a combo random sighting / Tesla moment.

It was a wonderful 70F day and I had my sunroof and front windows open 100%, which isn't very common since I'm usually listening to podcasts on my commute and driving on highways or in smelly/noisy traffic. Because of that, I was able to wave to this one on Van Dyke very obviously with my hand out the window. I think they waved back, but difficult to tell.
2015-09-20_model-s-sighting-48.png

Company picnic today in McLean VA, at a park where at least one other company was doing the same thing. We arrive, get some food, and sit down next to the CTO and his family. He says he saw my car when he arrived, and he immediately starts giving me a hard time about my parking job. I ask, "how long have you been here?" And he replies, "about a half-hour." I had only arrived 5 minutes prior, and sure enough, my wife spotted a nearly identical silver P85 (with grey interior) already in the parking lot. And the parking job actually wasn't all that bad, the driver just hadn't pulled up as far as he/she should have.

The story reminds me a bit about my first random Model S sighting, which I might have posted about a long time ago, but I can't find the post. :)

May 2013, I was at an all-day event at a campground, in a remote area off Route 1 between Malibu and Oxnard. I had only just heard about Model S a few weeks before, and after receiving some good news while in LA (from the same CTO in fact) I started thinking about test driving one. The parking lot held maybe 25-50 cars total, many of which were rentals that out-of-town family were driving. One of the cars in the lot was a grey P85, so I pointed it out to my wife and kids, and I even took a photo of it (see below). That car left the event in the mid-late afternoon, I think, and I never (knowingly) met the owner. Then, a couple hours later, a blue Model S, which I had somehow missed in the parking lot, drove by us as it was leaving the same event. I was floored to see two together in such a remote location, especially since not that many had been delivered yet (maybe ~10K total).

IMG_2806.JPG