Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Random Model X sightings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I officially call this theory that 3 P90D non-Sig X's were delivered in Syosset complete BS. There is no way Tesla would again invite the ire that they had with Model S production vehicles being delivered before all Sigs.

And I say this in full communication with my DS who claims that our Sig-X hasn't even finished general assembly and is at least 18-25 days away from delivery.

SC's all over the country have been reported with many X's parked in the prep-waiting-for-delivery cycle. I saw half a dozen at an SC. There's obviously some reason they're using SC's for storage (or conditioning) of yet-to-be-delivered cars. For one thing, if it is efficient for them to wait for some process to complete, it helps alleviate crunch effects on factory storage and shipping from factory to SC's. I believe model S's also share this. I have no idea what the turn-around time on X's are; for all I know, they sit there for only a few days, there's many cycling through the SC's for delivery every week, and everyone just saw a snapshot. Many reports have stated that the process once at SC can, and maybe usually does, take many weeks.

People waiting for delivery should be calmed to understand that it takes some time to finish even if it's physically prepping at an SC. In effect, the whole world can be considered part of the manufacturing process.

Last edited:
From the manual, you can configure the spoiler to be dynamic or to be always up. (Not clear if that's max visibility or max aero position) so if you leave it in the always up setting then even when you close and lock it'll be up.
Thanks, Peter. That's helpful to know. I guess I also should have RTFM. :) Here's the specific section that talks about the active spoiler (P90D only):

The Model X has a rear spoiler designed to
improve aerodynamics. The position of the
spoiler can vary depending on the status and
speed of Model X:
• When Model X is in Reverse or when
driving speed is below 16 km/h, the spoiler
provides maximum visibility behind Model
X.
• When driving speed exceeds 72 km/h, the
spoiler lowers to the position that
provides the most effective aerodynamics.
• When Model X is powered off and locked,
the spoiler retracts.
To allow the spoiler to automatically move as
described above, touch Controls > Settings >
Service & Reset > Spoiler > Automatic. To
disable automatic movement of the spoiler,
which keeps it in its extended position, choose
the Extended setting.
Note: If the spoiler can not automatically lower
or raise, the instrument panel displays an alert.
Contact Tesla Service.

Last edited:
The active spoiler is listed as an option included with the P90D. If it's an option, I think logically we just assume the alternative is either a fixed spoiler, or no spoiler at all. I didn't choose a performance package, but my dashboard at Tesla shows a spoiler in the raised position. I'm going to agree with the idea of a fixed spoiler.

I've seen that mentioned a lot but no one could produce an official statement to say that's the case. The design studio has never mentioned any spoilers for 70D or 90D so one can also intepret it as not to have any. There was even a post, another hearsay of course, that someone qouted a store clerk that there is no spoiler for non-P's and the dashboard pic was just a CGI error and since corrected. It's at most just a speculation but some posters seem to be stating it as a fact. Put a qualifier, that it's a speculation and no one knows for sure, so not to mislead people. Otherwise a lot of diappointed buyers could cry foul down the road for something Tesla has never promised. This is not the first time it happened.

B.) An Inside Sales Rep at HQ, who seems to be pretty clued in, told me specifically, "Non-performance Model X includes a stationary spoiler that is fixed at the height of the active spoiler’s visibility (high) setting. The active spoiler is only available on P90Ds." This same ISR also told me the precise external dimensions of the 90D before they were "formally" published. So, I think this has a pretty high likelihood of being correct.

Still it's just one person's idea which we know that a lot of confiliction info on pretty much everything has been throwing around. Another good exmple is whether 2nd row seat in the 5 seat configuration can fold flat. You can speculate anything you want and no one knows exactly what it will be. Before one actually sees a production 70D/90D or Tesla's official statement it's prudent to at least add a "may have" when making a statement like that.

Last edited:
I've seen that mentioned a lot but no one could produce an official statement to say that's the case. The design studio has never mentioned any spoilers for 70D or 90D so one can also intepret it as not to have any. There was even a post, another hearsay of course, that someone qouted a store clerk that there is no spoiler for non-P's and the dashboard pic was just a CGI error and since corrected. It's at most just a speculation but some posters seem to be stating it as a fact. Put a qualifier, that it's a speculation and no one knows for sure, so not to mislead people. Otherwise a lot of diappointed buyers could cry foul down the road for something Tesla has never promised. This is not the first time it happened.
It hasn't been "corrected" in the Design Studio, because it's not broken. Go look for yourself. And it doesn't appear in the language of the design studio because *it's not an option.* You can't deselect the fixed spoiler as it's part of the car. It's there for all to see in the Design Studio for the Model X 90D and 70D. If Tesla delivers a 70D or 90D Model X without a fixed spoiler, there's going to be some 'splaining to do.

I would also consider a written communication from a Tesla employee who is in a position to know about these things to be a pretty safe bet (and that's exactly what I got).

Here's what the Model X looks like with the fixed spoiler (from the Design Studio and from my order confirmation e-mail):

blue-rear-34-2.jpg
boylans-x-exterior.jpg

Damn, that's a sexy beast!

Have a nice day!

Still it's just one person's idea which we know that a lot of confiliction info on pretty much everything has been throwing around. Another good exmple is whether 2nd row seat in the 5 seat configuration can fold flat. You can speculate anything you want and no one knows exactly what it will be. Before one actually sees a production 70D/90D or Tesla's official statement it's prudent to at least add a "may have" when making a statement like that.
I don't see that as a fair comparison. Visible details of the 5-seat configuration do not appear in the Design Studio. The fixed spoiler does.

My personal opinion is that it's highly unlikely that the seats in the 5-seat configuration will fold because they'll be the exact same seats as the 6-seat and 7-seat configurations, which do not fold. Re-engineering the seats between now and mid-year to deliver a completely different second row seat design for the 5-seat configuration doesn't make a whole lot of sense from a product design, testing and delivery standpoint. Maybe next year or later they'll start to offer a different Model X seating option with folding second row seats, but holding out hope for folding second row seats in 2016 is setting oneself up for disappointment.

And as for "Tesla's official statement" on the fixed spoiler on the 90D, I already got that. It's posted above. Have a nice day!

There is *definitely* a fixed spoiler because the spoiler contains the required eye-level brake light!

I thought we are talking spoiler not brake light holder. :smile: Actually it's not really a functional spoiler if it does not change angle to direct air flow at highway speed. It also have more chance to be demaged under certain situations, car wash or low garage ceiling for example, because it does not retract. I'm not sure this fixed spoiler is that good an idea so I'm still having my (small) doubts.

Actually it's not really a functional spoiler if it does not change angle to direct air flow at highway speed. It also have more chance to be demaged under certain situations, car wash or low garage ceiling for example, because it does not retract. I'm not sure this fixed spoiler is that good an idea so I'm still having my (small) doubts.

Lots of cars out there with fixed spoilers. They are spoilers active or not.

Lots of cars out there with fixed spoilers. They are spoilers active or not.

Your are right but those are also beefier and not as streamlined as the one on the X. One that is also retractable, on my Cayman S, is pretty much the only one I know that is not an aftermarket to have this thin streamlined design. It's definitely prone to damage if not retracted. Even the owners manual warns to retract it under certain situations. The other question is Tesla tooted the active spoiler as to improve aerodynamics at high speed while not obstruct rear view at city driving. So how are they going to design the fixed one when only one position is available? Imo a lip spoiler like the one on the S and some other high end sedans/SUVs makes much more sense for a fixed design than the one shown in the picture. Again we'll have to see it before we make the judgement.