Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Random Model X sightings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In the first scenario, the owner is completely in the dark, hasn't been delivered, etc. In the second, the owner has chosen to take their car out in public. But I'll admit, I find it a little creepy when people are posting VINs - I'd ask first, unless it was someone who had publicly shared their VIN (like Steve Jurvetson, with Model S Sig 1, for instance). And I know the VIN is right there in the corner of the windshield. Just reminds me of looking out the office window one day and seeing someone staring in my car windows, clearly looking for something to steal.

First, I'm glad we're having this conversation. That says something really positive about the community, in my opinion.

My opinion is that photos are fine (unless expressly prohibited by the SC or owner), but more clear identifying information, including VIN, is not. I know people are interested in production levels, but self-reporting will get us that information in relatively short order. We already knew VIN 600+ was in Florida. That's nearly equivalent to what we know from VIN photos now.

Many people censor their own VINs here, including me. Does it matter? I don't know. We also censor license plate numbers when we post photos. I always blur them, and I think everyone else does as well. These are things that are widely visible in the wild, but we've agreed that it's a bit too personal.

Is it easy enough to agree just to post photos (again, unless expressly prohibited), and keep the more specific details out of the post?

can't we just leave undelivered cars out of the 'random sighting' thread? It's not going to hurt anyone here to err on the side of caution.
In my opinion, any Teslas at a Tesla location (factory, store, service, supercharger) shouldn't count as a random sighting. If you go to a location with the intent of seeing one or any expectation of seeing one, it's not very random. That rule alone should be enough to prevent posts of undelivered cars in the random sightings threads.

I don't know how I would have felt if someone posted a picture of my car before it was delivered. Maybe mixed feelings, cool that someone posted my car out of the thousands undelivered at the time, and a little bummed by the premature "first sight". One thing I know for sure is that now that I have my car, I'm still waiting for someone to post a random sighting of my car, which is becoming less and less likely as they become more popular in my area.

In today's world of digital communication its hard to find privacy. And VIN numbers are displayed outside the vehicle, so is the sticker. Why would someone expect those to be private? They are out there for anyone to see... You don't need to do any complicated maneuvers to read the information. Furthermore, how does that externally visible information deprive any owner of the vehicle or anything related to it?

My regular old Mazda remained in the parking lot for a few days after my purchase since I couldn't pick it up right away. I'm certain others saw it and its option list. A year later, how did that info being publicly visible affect me? It didn't. Don't get so worked up. It's not as if they drive your vehicle!

You do realize that it's visible to anyone who decides to look at it. Right there in your windshield...

Well, that's not what I was saying, if you re-read my post. I'm just getting concerned about the acronym abuse.

However, license plate numbers are even more visible. Are you cool with posting those? I'm just saying that there's a not-so-very-clear line somewhere around that information.

Well, that's not what I was saying, if you re-read my post. I'm just getting concerned about the acronym abuse.

However, license plate numbers are even more visible. Are you cool with posting those? I'm just saying that there's a not-so-very-clear line somewhere around that information.
I agree with what the gist of your post. Unfortunately, its not any kind of enforceable law which can be used. Until then, the info is out there for anyone to use or abuse. [emoji19]

I personally draw the line at generated plate numbers, only revealing it partially so the owner has a decent chance of recognizing it as their car. For vanity plates, I consider it fair game since they most likely want it to be seen.

I'm not even convinced that the VINs are all that helpful in predicting where Tesla is as far as production. When last I spoke with my DS, he claimed that the VINs are assigned in some order having to to with sequence and confirmation order but the build of the actual vehicles is heavily grouped in order to produce similarly equipped cars around the same time.

To add a data point, if the first I saw of my vehicle was a forum post I'd be mad.... at Tesla. At this point I'm hearing that my car, which was supposed to be delivered next week, hasn't entered production. If I were to see pictures of it sitting at the service center there would be some explanation needed.

Frankly I'm torn about the posting of VINs. I certainly cannot disagree with what's been said about privacy and owner choice. Also, there's something different about having a small plate with some numbers visible on the outside of the car and publicizing that number on the web. Yes, it's publicly accessible knowledge but putting on the site takes it to a much higher scale of availability. I'm torn because I really like knowing that the VIN they've produced! That said, my desire to know shouldn't outweigh the owners' right to publicize, or not, their own VINs.

My opinion is that photos are fine (unless expressly prohibited by the SC or owner), but more clear identifying information, including VIN, is not. I know people are interested in production levels, but self-reporting will get us that information in relatively short order.

+1

I think every enjoys seeing pics, especially at this stage where they are first coming out. But those who post could be more vague and say "here's an sig X in the 400's" or not even mention it at all. Certainly do not need a pic of someone else's VIN... that doesn't help me one bit. From the posts we have seen over the last couple days, more and more X's will be out there in short order and a particular VIN number sighting won't hold much weight in regards to production ramp up...

Ha-ha. I am just as eagerly waiting for my X. But I am just being practical that my X will be seen by many many others before I see it. These will include Tesla employees, delivery drivers and random Tesla's prospective customers. As long as it can be used to promote Tesla without inconveniencing me, I am happy.

In the first scenario, the owner is completely in the dark, hasn't been delivered, etc. In the second, the owner has chosen to take their car out in public. But I'll admit, I find it a little creepy when people are posting VINs - I'd ask first, unless it was someone who had publicly shared their VIN (like Steve Jurvetson, with Model S Sig 1, for instance). And I know the VIN is right there in the corner of the windshield. Just reminds me of looking out the office window one day and seeing someone staring in my car windows, clearly looking for something to steal.

OK, let me try again (and sorry for disrupting the Amazing Pedantry Thread - let's call it the APT thread, just to make someone's head explode).

Bonnie. How about if I see your Founders car, I post pictures of it, and instead of posting a picture of the full VIN (yes, I admit - that IS a little weird), I mention in the post "hey, I found Founders #74... it's funny, the VIN has two consecutive 'F's in it..."

Is that still "cut and dried" not ok? Because you haven't seen the car yet?

In the meantime, let's agree on a new forum rule (someone please call a quorum of moderators / admins):

It is not acceptable to post the full VIN of a car without explicit owner permission.

Not as picture, not in text, just don't do it.

What I still haven't quite wrapped my mind around... when I see a car, let's say in the parking lot behind the SC and let's assume it's not wrapped in plastic, how do I know that it's not delivered yet? What makes this situation special compared to a random sighting?

- - - Updated - - -

OT note: This is a great log of who the forum psychos are - Christmas Eve discussions about privacy? Count me in!
Well, yes, of course!
And your point is?

My point was that since the VIN required nothing more than a glance at the windscreen, why would posting it be disallowed. OK, let's say we disallowed it on these forums, what is stopping me from tweeting about it or posting on other random forums about it? There is nothing illegal about this...

My point was that since the VIN required nothing more than a glance at the windscreen, why would posting it be disallowed. OK, let's say we disallowed it on these forums, what is stopping me from tweeting about it or posting on other random forums about it? There is nothing illegal about this...

Not a single person has said it's illegal. I think you've missed the point of the discussion.