Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Random Model X sightings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm a little uncomfortable of posting pics/VINs/invoices of undelivered vehicles. How would one of you feel seeing your vehicle for the first time on a forum?

Let the new owners have the fun of being the first one to see their vehicle.
I'll admit that I have mixed feelings about this. Technically when the cars are out in the open like this... it's hard to come up with a clear reason why it would be wrong to post the pictures... except for that "feeling" that somehow some owners may not want to see their car here before they take possession - whereas, frankly, I wouldn't be surprised if there were others who'd be thrilled if someone spotted their car being prepped.
I really don't know... this is a tough one, bonnie.

I'll admit that I have mixed feelings about this. Technically when the cars are out in the open like this... it's hard to come up with a clear reason why it would be wrong to post the pictures... except for that "feeling" that somehow some owners may not want to see their car here before they take possession - whereas, frankly, I wouldn't be surprised if there were others who'd be thrilled if someone spotted their car being prepped.

Once an owner has taken delivery and puts their car in the open, then I have no issue. If it was just a pic, then no one could be sure. But with the VIN, before it's delivered? Really would piss me off, to be honest. When we post that stuff, we take the choice away from the person who should have been the one to make the choice.

Once an owner has taken delivery and puts their car in the open, then I have no issue. If it was just a pic, then no one could be sure. But with the VIN, before it's delivered? Really would piss me off, to be honest. When we post that stuff, we take the choice away from the person who should have been the one to make the choice.
This seems very cut and dried to me. Don't post a pic or VIN until the owner takes delivery...full stop IMO

I have never posted a VIN nor would I ever do that. But assuming we end up buying an X and someone spots it at the Tigard SC and posts a picture, I'd be thrilled and excited...
YMMV
This seems very cut and dried to me. Don't post a pic or VIN until the owner takes delivery...full stop IMO
All I'm saying that I don't think this is as cut and dried as some people seem to think it is. But feel free to report the post and have the mods take it down...

Dirkhh - didn't you say "We've had two Sigs delivered so far and they both posted a ton of pictures."

You should be content with the generosity of Bonnie and others to date

All I'm saying that I don't think this is as cut and dried as some people seem to think it is. But feel free to report the post and have the mods take it down...

So post your VIN, let the forum know if someone finds a picture you're happy. That's YOUR choice as the new owner.

I'm just saying that it feels wrong to take that choice away from the new owner. (And you know it's not a violation of TOS, so not reportable post. This is a question of how we as owners treat each other, imo.)

Does it make any difference if the chances are that the owner(s) of those cars are -gasp!- NOT on the TMC, and that in a few dozen hours, today's posts & the car itself will be off into world, part of it all?
dont know the answer, asking.

Does it make any difference if the chances are that the owner(s) of those cars are -gasp!- NOT on the TMC, and that in a few dozen hours, today's posts & the car itself will be off into world, part of it all?
dont know the answer, asking.

So we did have one forum member who experienced this - and she was not happy about. She contacted her service center and demanded to see her car, since other people had obviously seen it.

And I understand that. After waiting 4 years, I would not have been happy if other people were grabbing pictures of my car before I was able to see it. Jut would have ruined the experience for me a bit. And I'd hate to ruin someone else's experience. So since we don't know if it's a forum member or not, can't we just leave undelivered cars out of the 'random sighting' thread? It's not going to hurt anyone here to err on the side of caution.

Just my opinion. I only ask others to think about how they'd feel if, after waiting 4 years, some stranger was posting pics of their undelivered car and chatting about it.

I tend to agree to privacy. Posting the pics may be up in the air. However, posting the full VIN and Window Sticker is not a good idea.

Unfortunately, a Signature Owner in NJ found out his/her Model X was at the SC before being notified. The excitement waned since it was in the early days of prep, and was another 2 weeks before delivery was scheduled. The DS hadn't notified of the shipment due the the prep, software, inspection and testing needed at the SC. Bad situation. The owner learned of the location because the VIN was posted in the forum.

Should the owner disclose their delivery, they are exposed to the process becoming a spectacle.

Glad to see the pics, but lets keep some things private -- especially the window sticker and VIN.

Bonnie (et al) I completely understand your point of view and would do everything in my power to comply with it. However, if someone spotted my Model-X, I would really appreciate them (at the very least) telling me they spotted my VIN. Especially since Tesla's communications is so bad right now, I feel starved for information. I would love to get a look at it, any which way, ASAP.

So, I tend to side with @dirkhh on this one and believe it's not cut and dry. Maybe, people could post the VIN (with no photos of the actual car) and ask the owner if they are okay to have it posted online or sent in a private message?

I guess I'm conflicted, I think I would be thrilled, as in, "yes! There it is!" vs. "hey, what's it doing there, & not w me?" Thing is, the VIN is emblazoned there, for better or worse, & is not protected info. The way we treat each other is very important. I just don't think I would mind if my X got some publicity even before I saw it. As long as it's intact upon arrival.

I'll be honest. When my Model 3 makes it to the service center, I would be thrilled to see it on the forum. That way I know the dream is coming true, and I will spam the forum with my joy. I totally understand why someone would be offended by that, though. Perhaps posting pictures of just the car, minus vin, would be more appropriate. And the vin number can be stated as, "in the 500's." Or you could wait a week or so to post.

So post your VIN, let the forum know if someone finds a picture you're happy. That's YOUR choice as the new owner.

I'm just saying that it feels wrong to take that choice away from the new owner.

OK, I'm being slow. Now I get it. Sorry. Your point is that the person taking / posting the picture doesn't know what the owner's preference is.
Which means curtesy suggests that one should wait for permission.

Bonnie, thought experiment:

I see your Founders car at the factory service center. I take pictures, including VIN.
Now I post on the forum "hey, I have pictures of a Founders car, VIN ends in 01234... if this is your, would you like pictures? is it ok if I post them here?"

Then the choice is the owner's. And the person taking the pictures is being careful to respect the wishes of the owner.

But now, second thought experiment:

I see you at the supercharger. I take pictures. Maybe with you in them, maybe without.
Wouldn't the same logic apply? Isn't it possible that you don't want pictures of yours on the forum? Or pictures of your car?

So what makes these two situations so completely different? That on the one hand we are excited by and encourage threads about "Random Model (S/X) sighting", on the other hand this is "cut and dried" that it isn't acceptable until the car hasn't been delivered.

I understand that new owners may not want the pictures posted. But couldn't the same be said for every owner? Where is that bright "cut and dried" line?