Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Random Model X sightings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
More from FB...both with wings

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Interesting theory, but I think it'll be the opposite. The Model 3 is supposed to be the car for the masses. It is the product that is supposed to catapult tesla from niche boutique into major player (I.e. Major threat to the ICE industry). And given the fact that there are many people who are HUGE fans of tesla that are anti-falcon wing doors, anti-helicopter windshield, anti-premium package, and anti-many of the bells and whistles that make this car unique, Tesla cannot afford to risk alienating the masses with a radical departure from the design the masses expect. Look at how most of the other electrics on the market today (other than tesla) are perceived as ugly because of their departure from traditional ICE design.

Elon himself has stated (paraphrasing) that tesla needs to show some restraint in the design of the model 3 and cannot take so many risks. The Model 3 is the biggest challenge facing Tesla in the future. Not to go super nerd on you, but 'Tis the season: Luke could never be a Jedi until he faced Vader. And so it is with Tesla: in order to accomplish its corporate mission (to accelerate the advancement of alternative energy in the automotive industry), they must compete with the big ICE companies. It's going to be the true make or break time in Tesla's history.

I agree that the design shouldn't depart so much as to alienate the masses. However, Elon has said back in January at NAIAS 2015 that they may "try to do something more radical" and in the Reddit AMA around the same time that "it won't look like other cars".

To keep the manufacture and repair costs down as well as make it reliable, I expect the falcon wing doors and large windshield won't make it to the 3. Similarly, to keep R&D costs down and prevent delays as we saw with the X, I doubt there will be much in the way of new features that we haven't already seen. Most of the radical design will probably be in drag and weight reduction so they can meet their range goals with a smaller battery. Like the X, the nose is perhaps the most obvious area of focus. The aluminum body will certainly be replaced by something much cheaper, such as plastic which comes to mind as a good idea with a multitude of benefits if implemented properly. Regardless, Tesla seems to be fairly good at only departing from the norm when it makes functional sense.

The #1 and #2 things that alienate the masses from EVs are that they're electric and that the current offering is expensive or lacks range. #1 is here to stay and just requires educating people and the primary purpose of Model 3 is to take a significant stab at #2. Tesla has done a superb job with designing Model S and X to be beautifully unique, so I have all the confidence in the world that they won't disappoint with the design of Model 3. I find that most other EVs are ugly because they're either compliance vehicles not meant to sell well or they simply made poor design decisions (i.e. lack designers as good as the ones at Tesla).

@Pilot_51: I agree with everything you said. I'd add that most other EV's are ugly because their manufacturers want them to fail so that they can continue to ride the ICE legacy as long as they can. If they really didn't have designers that are any good, then why are the ICE BMW's so desireable when the electric version is so .... not.

Not to beg forgiveness, but the freako shape of the LEAF headlights is reportedly to keep air pressure off of the fronts of the side view mirrors at highway speed. Wish my ModelX was coming w cameras instead.

Not to beg forgiveness, but the freako shape of the LEAF headlights is reportedly to keep air pressure off of the fronts of the side view mirrors at highway speed. Wish my ModelX was coming w cameras instead.

One plus to that is that I've never heard a quieter car with windows open, even including the Tesla I rode in, compared to my Leaf :) at least for wind noise. It's quite nice and I'm hoping Tesla can do something similar on the Model 3 while still retaining a more traditional design for the masses.

I'm hoping we get an explosion of sightings soon with all these deliveries...

It's rumored that Elon HATES yellow and we'll never see a factory yellow while he's in charge. But it's a rumor. :)

Yeah, I actually had some service reps and a gentleman from Tesla HQ mention this rumor when discussing my wife's yellow wrapped Model S. They told me that they don't even have any yellow safety warning labels and such in some cases where they could swap with red or orange. lol.