Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Random people selling repairs on Teslas in parking lots?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was leaving a shopping center and suddenly some guy in a pick up truck parks next to me and wanted to get my attention (to roll down window). I wanted to ignore him, but I thought he could be warning of me something I can't see so I asked him what he wanted.

Then he starts talking about how he works for "Mercedes / Telsa repair of Newport Beach" and how he can fix some scratches for a deal around $400. Told him I'll think about it and to give me his card. But he didn't want to do that, he said he could only do it right there, and was very vague on the process except that he must do it right now. He didn't want to give a potential customer time to think about it. I don't get why he didn't just give me his business card, I might have thought about it, but it seemed like that was not an option. Then I just assumed he doesn't work for this reputable business, it seems really dishonest if an employee goes around naming out their employer's business but won't let you do the service at that reputable business.

I'm wondering if this guy just drives around looking for cars with scratches just to pitch his sale and get people to do his service on the spot. I felt like he didn't want to give a business card because he didn't want to give me a chance to "think it over". He wanted to make it seem like this is my only chance to fix my car, like he is offering some killer deal. And he wants like $400, which sounds like a huge gamble.

I heard this is also a common scam, where some guy drives around saying he repairs dents / scratches and he'll do it right now for cheap. Then they use some fake paint to make it look like it was fixed, but later you rub it off and realized it was just a paint over and you just got scammed.

That's the formula for a scam. Notify the police.

Anyone who forces you into buying this amazing deal "one time offer" is likely doing a scam. You don't know what he is going to do.

if you have usb/ssd connected forward that video to the police so they can ID the person.

Thanks for checking with us, your intuition is very likely correct that this is a scam.

Dealerships generally don't do their own dent/scratch repair, they just hire some mobile repair dude off Craigslist. So it's quite possible that your new friend actually did "work" for Mercedes/Tesla at one point in his life, but if he lacks a card, labeled truck, and realistic pricing, he probably isn't getting many calls from them these days. It might not have been an outright scam, but you certainly did well by declining.

Scam. You produce cash he leaves. Maybe he scratches up your car a little bit first with some fake work. You will never get a good deal from a guy in a parking lot. You first instinct was right, ignore him. Even if you decide to roll down your window to hear a little bit, you can still roll it back up and leave and you should as soon as you hear the scam pitch start.

This is another one of those stories that, at least to me, has zero to do with "tesla". the OP even mentions it in the post, that the person says "I work on X and Y and Z". The title of this thread should be "Random person selling repairs on Cars in parking lots". Just because the OP is driving a tesla doesnt make this a "tesla" story.

Thats my personal opinion.

Putting on the mod hat, I am not sure how I feel. I realize that my personal feelings on these kind of "stories" being "tesla" stories may not match others, so I try to be very careful on making decisions on these type of thread. With that being said, do people think this is a "tesla" story or simply that the OP got scammed because the person saw he was driving an "expensive car" and it could have been just about anything else?

Nothing "tesla" about this scam attempt to me, but not sure what others think.

That's the formula for a scam. Notify the police.

Anyone who forces you into buying this amazing deal "one time offer" is likely doing a scam. You don't know what he is going to do.

if you have usb/ssd connected forward that video to the police so they can ID the person.

Thanks for checking with us, your intuition is very likely correct that this is a scam.

Next time if I had time, should have said I was interested, but I need to go back to work at the "police station" because I work there and should follow me there. Would have been funny if he really followed me there.

I could have done that, I was really close (5 min) to the Irvine Police Station.

I have USB, but would the police really care? The most that happened was he offered a service, I said no.

• Informative
Reactions: Noodles
Present that information and say "I don't know who this may help out"
I don't know if he has committed any other crimes.

Just say I've chosen to say no to him, does anyone here have information on this guy?

Thing is, if the person actually slaps some paint on a rim or something like that, then, its not a crime, just a very poor repair job, right? Thats not something the police are (or should be) interested in. Would be different if the person was trying hold up the OP with a weapon, or tried to take his car or something.

What really happened is the person tried to present himself as a legitimate business to perform a repair on a car that would have been sub standard.

If someone comes to your home, knocks on the door, and says "I do landscaping, want to buy a tree? They normally cost 1000 but for you I will deliver and plant it for only 500", and you pay them, and they come back with a tree worth $25 and plant it in your front yard, they overcharged you for a service, and misrepresented what they were going to give you, but they didnt steal from you, and I doubt you could call the police on them.

Best you could do would be to learn not to buy from people going door to door, and tell your neighbors.

I see this as the same thing, so, I dont see any reason this OP should be driving to a police station to do anything.

Reactions: Noodles
If someone comes to your home, knocks on the door, and says "I do landscaping, want to buy a tree?

”May I see your solicitation permit, please?”

In order to obtain one, they’d have to go to the township, apply for it, and provide proof of insurance and any required licensure (such as a home improvement certificate or licensed tree operator credentials). This process alone helps sort the wheat from the chaff.

“May I see your solicitation permit please?” is a solid phrase and keeps the scum out of our neighborhood.

”May I see your solicitation permit, please?”

In order to obtain one, they’d have to go to the township, apply for it, and provide proof of insurance and any required licensure (such as a home improvement certificate or licensed tree operator credentials). This process alone helps sort the wheat from the chaff.

“May I see your solicitation permit please?” is a solid phrase and keeps the scum out of our neighborhood.

I just say "Sorry I dont buy anything but girl scout cookies sold door to door so the answer is no". Of course, I have a video doorbell so I dont even open the door, I just activate the speaker in the doorbell and tell them no. I say something similar if someone approaches me in a parking lot.. "sorry, I have a personal policy where I dont buy anything at all, ever, sold in a parking lot".

There is no deal good enough for me to buy "whatever it is" from someone walking up to me in a parking lot / gas station (when I used to go to those), or even door to door.