Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Random Roadster Sightings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Imagine my surprise when looking out my office window to spot a Roadster (CA plate "LEKTREK") parked outside. (sorry for the poor quality) Anyone know who this belongs to?

lektrek.JPG

Nope, it belongs to a company called The New Motion. They help people get EV's, get government stimulus. They are working on a CHAdeMO network in the Netherlands, but also cooperate with Opel to promote their own 230V/16A charger in the Netherlands.

From all the Dutch Roadsters with corporate graphics on the sides, I gather the incentives for corporations to buy (or lease?) them is more attractive than other places.
It seems in Holland and Germany the ratio of corporate owned (compared to private owned) is high.

From all the Dutch Roadsters with corporate graphics on the sides, I gather the incentives for corporations to buy (or lease?) them is more attractive than other places.
It seems in Holland and Germany the ratio of corporate owned (compared to private owned) is high.

I just thought that Europeans were not a "precious" about their cars and paint as we are in CA. :)

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that the tax structure in many European countries made the personal income tax rate very high for a monetary increase but no tax for a company car, so many companies purchase expensive cars for their employees to use rather than raise their pay (which would mostly get taxed away).

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that the tax structure in many European countries made the personal income tax rate very high for a monetary increase but no tax for a company car, so many companies purchase expensive cars for their employees to use rather than raise their pay (which would mostly get taxed away).

Generalizing about EU tax rates is difficult....but, in general(!) the private mileage incurred in a company car is taxed as a benefit in kind. Some countries have beneficial rates for EV's. The reason that company cars become quite common in some countries is partly tradition (it has always been a part of the remuneration package) and partly because it enables the employee to have a better car than they would probably otherwise have been able or willing to afford. (I once had a McLaren SLR as a company car, but I would never have purchased it for myself). BTW, some countries also require minimum amounts of business travel using the car.

You gathered correct. :smile: Corporately bought, a Roadster comes down to 40-50k or something. It saves a buyer:
- 19% VAT
- 35-50% (income) tax
- €15-20k environmental subsidies
- in the early years the city of Amsterdam had an additional €15k tax incentive

Also, when you (your company) normally buys a corporate car and you drive it for private purposes you are taxed 14-25% of the sticker price of the car, giving a net cost of around 5-12% of the sticker price (yearly!). Not so for EVs.

Someone I work with told me he saw a White Roadster Rte 17 South between Maywood and Hasbrouck Heights, New Jersey on August 21 at about 4:30 PM. He actually saw you did the question Tesla or not then let you pass him and saw the rear TESLA. I wonder are you in the area or what???