Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Random Subsonic Boom or Bang

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I experience the same. A single impulse, like a very low-frequency "poof", followed by an exhalation. It happens regularly but I haven't determined the frequency or pattern yet.

It seems like the "poof" causes a pressure change in the cabin. I had an empty sealed water bottle that sort of crushed a little when it happened this morning.

2022 Model Y Performance.

I originally suggested it was the battery contactors, but after reading the subsequent comments about it being so quiet you can't record it and other descriptions, it sounds like this is the normal operation of the HVAC system and some here are very very picky about little operation noises. An ICE vehicle is far louder in its operation and vibrations than the noises being described here. That's my input for you having owned 2 Tesla's over 5 years.

Regarding camping mode sleep time being disturbed, the cabin - like most car cabins - does not keep out most outside noises well at all. Realistically, those (rain, birds, etc) are going to be louder than the HVAC noises you are describing. Ear plugs will solve all those noise problems.

I proofread my post and it comes off grumpy. That's not my intent.

Reactions: WhiteWi
I asked a 2-year Tesla tech about the subsonic pulse: Normal
Also asked, again, about the HVAC low-frequency rumble, and if Tesla had come up with any additional isolation setup for the compressor. Noise is normal, no updates.
I think Brian-MS90D is right. We notice these sounds more in the silent EV car than in an ICE car, although my 3 Toyota hybrids (Avalon, 2 Prii) HVAC compressors make zero sound when cycling on/off in EV mode. Go figure.

I have the exact same thing, I never noticed it until I got my car back from service a few weeks ago. I have not used came mode. I notice it mostly when sitting at a traffic light. It happens a maybe every 30 second and sounds like a mini explosion from the front of the car.

I asked a 2-year Tesla tech about the subsonic pulse: Normal
Also asked, again, about the HVAC low-frequency rumble, and if Tesla had come up with any additional isolation setup for the compressor. Noise is normal, no updates.
I think Brian-MS90D is right. We notice these sounds more in the silent EV car than in an ICE car, although my 3 Toyota hybrids (Avalon, 2 Prii) HVAC compressors make zero sound when cycling on/off in EV mode. Go figure.
You should have heard our C-Max, it sounded like an angry squirrel in a blender when the HVAC compressor spooled up. Ford said "within spec" for noise, which thankfully wasn't as obnoxious inside the vehicle as outside.

VIN 88xxx, 19k miles. I've been annoyed by the low ffrequency rumble of the HVAC since the beginning (Dec. 2020 delivery), and lately, I've noticed the low-frequency "thump" that y'all are talking about.

Didn't notice it in ambient 80-95f temps, HVAC set to 70-72.

Ambient temps now 45-75, HVAC set to 70. Cooler temps require a different cycling of the HVAC components.
Exactly the same issue I’m having at the same ambient temperature.