Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range at Motorway Speeds

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In my Performance I'd be confident I could do that in winter, though I don't like my car to be like a sauna! I'd say with the heat pump in the new models plus going LR you would easily do it, could you not charge overnight at the in-laws, even using 3 pin granny charger to be belt and braces?

Not going to be possible to granny charge unfortunately, so looks like the answer is to be very light on the right pedal and will probably be fine. Time will tell - have a test drive on Monday 30th to make my mid up 100%, but currently almost convinced!

Reactions: m3gt2
Indeed. The query is mainly coming from the fact that I was hoping I could do my most frequent "long" trip (once every 2 or 3 weeks) without the need for any charges until I got home, which I think is going to be borderline.

Scenario is home (near Alfreton, Derbysire, so about a mile from M1 J28) -> in-laws in Guisborough, maybe a trip to the coast at Saltburn/Redcar, supermarket for Mother-in-Law supplies and then home over a weekend which is 253 miles in total.

There appears to be a GeniePoint charger in the town, but at £1.00 connection + £0.30 / kWh it's not cheap, but might be fine for a small £2 or £3 ish topup as won't be able to charge at the in laws.
We've done the Redcar trip several times from Derby, including heading over to Saltburn for fish and chips at The Seaview! We have an M3P and tend to head over to Scotch Corner to be sure of sufficient charge. However we did spot a Polar rapid in the main car park in Thirsk and also another rapid at the Shell garage just outside Thirsk. So some options. Ideally we need something at Wetherby which is rumoured to be happening at some point

• Informative
Reactions: Blokie
So I commute from Doncaster to Leeds (M18 to M62 into city centre) on average I use 20% of my charge each way, plus/minus a few percent each way for diversions, A/C, cold battery/wet days etc

I'd ensure you get a home charger installed as soon as you can after ordering, I used up all my free supercharger miles whilst waiting for the charger to be installed due to house being on a looped supply and difficulties in communications with all relevant parties involved. but i'm all sorted and it's working pretty well. Just have to change energy suppliers in January to get a better charging rate!

Not going to be possible to granny charge unfortunately, so looks like the answer is to be very light on the right pedal and will probably be fine. Time will tell - have a test drive on Monday 30th to make my mid up 100%, but currently almost convinced!

I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned the AbetterRoutePlanner site (and app)? You can set your particular trip (or any other trip) and play around with the parameters of model of car, speed, weather, weight etc It's generally regarded as giving an accurate prediction of energy use and will give you any necessary charging requirements including the length of time it takes to charge and to drive. My preference is to use the "classic" ABR site rather than the newer design: A Better Routeplanner

Reactions: Blokie
We've done the Redcar trip several times from Derby, including heading over to Saltburn for fish and chips at The Seaview! We have an M3P and tend to head over to Scotch Corner to be sure of sufficient charge. However we did spot a Polar rapid in the main car park in Thirsk and also another rapid at the Shell garage just outside Thirsk. So some options. Ideally we need something at Wetherby which is rumoured to be happening at some point

The Seaview is delicious, especially if paired with a Lemon Top from Pacittos :)

Thanks for the options for Thirsk - fully agree Wetherby Services would be a perfect spot for a Supercharger!

I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned the AbetterRoutePlanner site (and app)? You can set your particular trip (or any other trip) and play around with the parameters of model of car, speed, weather, weight etc It's generally regarded as giving an accurate prediction of energy use and will give you any necessary charging requirements including the length of time it takes to charge and to drive. My preference is to use the "classic" ABR site rather than the newer design: A Better Routeplanner

Thanks. Have been playing around with different variables on ABRP for a few days. If I choose "favourable" conditions and not too heavy on the throttle on the motorway I can theoretically complete the entire trip with about 10% remaining (assuming 100% start), but that's cutting it too fine for a relatively frequent trip.

So I commute from Doncaster to Leeds (M18 to M62 into city centre) on average I use 20% of my charge each way, plus/minus a few percent each way for diversions, A/C, cold battery/wet days etc

I'd ensure you get a home charger installed as soon as you can after ordering, I used up all my free supercharger miles whilst waiting for the charger to be installed due to house being on a looped supply and difficulties in communications with all relevant parties involved. but i'm all sorted and it's working pretty well. Just have to change energy suppliers in January to get a better charging rate!

Thanks - have already got an approved quote ready to go - just need order number etc when I pull the trigger to kick things into motion to ensure I get the grant too. Should be a very straightforward install for me as I'm in a detached property with the meter on the outside of the house (and a 100A fuse) and the consumer unit in the garage is very close to where I want the charger to be situated :)

Thanks. Have been playing around with different variables on ABRP for a few days. If I choose "favourable" conditions and not too heavy on the throttle on the motorway I can theoretically complete the entire trip with about 10% remaining (assuming 100% start), but that's cutting it too fine for a relatively frequent trip.

My recommendation is not to push the limits unless there's absolutely no option. Supercharging is so quick and easy it really isn't worth the anxiety... especially in the early days when getting to know the car. Some may routinely plan within 10% and it's definitely doable but it's not for me.

(Some people argue that the fastest route from A to B on motorways with available Supercharging can be to go flat out and do the short stops... as you can charge at a higher MPH than you can drive ... even illegally! I'm not recommending this approach by the way.)

My recommendation is not to push the limits unless there's absolutely no option. Supercharging is so quick and easy it really isn't worth the anxiety... especially in the early days when getting to know the car. Some may routinely plan within 10% and it's definitely doable but it's not for me.

(Some people argue that the fastest route from A to B on motorways with available Supercharging can be to go flat out and do the short stops... as you can charge at a higher MPH than you can drive ... even illegally! I'm not recommending this approach by the way.)
also small bladders are a factor

• Funny
Reactions: Watts_Up
My recommendation is not to push the limits unless there's absolutely no option.
Supercharging is so quick and easy it really isn't worth the anxiety... especially in the early days when getting to know the car.
Some may routinely plan within 10% and it's definitely doable but it's not for me.

(Some people argue that the fastest route from A to B on motorways with available Supercharging
can be to go flat out and do the short stops... as you can charge at a higher MPH than you can drive ... even illegally!
I'm not recommending this approach by the way.)
If you have passengers, I think it is more enjoyable to reduce the number of stops, especially if you can have only one stop,
by selecting a charging location where you can enjoy having a lunch, thus giving plenty of time for charging your battery up to the brim.

Reactions: Adopado
If you have passengers, I think it is more enjoyable to reduce the number of stops, especially if you can have only one stop,
by selecting a charging location where you can enjoy having a lunch, thus giving plenty of time for charging your battery up to the brim.
if im stopping for lunch then I need to arrive with 3% max, otherwise the charging is definitely beating me. to this day, the car has always beaten me when stopping and supercharging.