Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range at Motorway Speeds

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As a comparison, my return journey 2 days later in Storm Ciara - rain and at times 30mph headwind.

Screenshot_20200212-043424~2.png

Each to their own but I always have a contingency plan. All it takes is a snowstorm or a jack-knifed lorry and in winter you end up with the choice of shivering or comfort while you wait. It's a rare day that i'd travel anywhere without planning on at least 30% left to a reliable charging option. And any decent journey means i take my 18hr thermos and dry snacks. I'm way too cheap to buy anything at a services.

Reactions: Joelly
I'm seriously considering the Tesla Model 3 (Long Range) as a company car, i commute between Hull and Manchester on a daily basis, along the dreaded M62 travelling at Motorway Speeds of 70mph and a bit, the journey is 100 miles each way.

Taking into account the my constant and relatively high speed and the distance i'll be travelling, how close to the claimed range should I be able to get, or will traveling at this speed reduce the range significantly..... ???

You are also going up through the Pennines and into colder weather. (I'm originally from NW England)
You'll get good range at 72mph, but the cooler temps will impact you.

In summer, likely you'll make the round trip comfortably, but you might find it wise to top-up in the Manchester area if at all possible when parked, or have a Supercharger planned for a 10 minute break on the return trip.

I can do over 200 miles here in the summer at 78 mph, but its a bit tight when temps drop into the equivalent of British winter daytime temps.

Reactions: JimGreen
Hi Jim, it certainly sounds like a model 3 would fit your needs perfectly. In terms of range on the performance over LR then there’s not much in it in the real world. Maybe someone else can confirm exact differences?

I would highly recommend trying out your journey on “a better route planner” google it and have a play around with best case (tail wind, no rain, decent temperature and sticking to the speed limit) and worst case (head wind, heavy rain, low temperature and high speed) and everything in between. Realistically you probably wouldn’t be going 20% over the speed limit in these poor conditions (reference speed means 100% compared to speed limit, therefore 120% would be 84mph on motorway). Having had a quick check, you’d be fine in almost all conditions unless you’re doing 85+ in torrential rain with a greater than 20mph headwind.
It would certainly be worth installing some charge points at work, preferably 7kw chargers at that and also a 7kw charger at home.
Should save you a ton on fuel so looks like a great option.
If you’ve got any other questions feel free to reach out to me.
I would personally say very little difference, especially if the LR has 19s optioned. My P+ has got a lifetime efficiency of 304w/mile from October, pretty much living on the motorways at the speed limit, oh and just the occasional lead foot moment from the lights (well maybe I little more than occasional lol). I'd personally say it will fit the bill very easily.

Hey Jim. Here's some data from a 180mile journey at the weekend (Swansea to London).

You can see the second half of the journey had better efficiency - for a few reasons. I had the Reading roadworks (30miles at 50mph), London traffic (amazing how slow battery goes down in a city), it was warmer outside and elevation was more favourable.

I left home at 99% and arrived at 23%.

Not sure if you know this, but you shouldn't charge to 100% too often as it will speed up battery degradation (just like a phone battery will last longer if charged to 80), so your figures would need to be on 80% charge ideally. Some may say 90% is ok, depends how long you keep the car perhaps.

Another point is you mention 19" wheels, this will give you as much as -8% to -10% range than 18"+Aero. My results above are with 18" and no Aero (-4% hit or so), and tyres at 39-40psi as I like the added comfort. So again, other factors to consider when we all offer our results! 45psi will of course get you better results, and still provide a little more comfort than the C63 I'm sure, but perhaps not the Insignia depending on it's setup!

As someone mentioned, if you plan for a 5min supercharger stop, and it turns out you don't always need it - you can't go wrong. A destination charger, even better.

We all make a compromise or two with these cars, be it the extra planning or charging stops - but the important thing is, it's worth it! As you can see I'm 7000 miles in, and still think it's a truly fantastic car.

Where does the minus 8% to 10% figure for 19" wheels come from? why would it be significantly worse than the -4% you mention for 18" without the aero caps

I’d certainly recommend that you get a home charger. The journey is definitely doable in a LR AWD. If you can charge at home it means you can time the charging so that the car is at 100% ready for when you leave. There is no problem in charging the car to 100%, as long as you then drive it ASAP. What’s bad for the battery is charging to 100% and leaving it there for any length of time. With charging at home and at work, you would find the Model 3 a great for your use case.

We did a road trip in early December, from Derby to Paris and back. Freezing temperatures, but otherwise good weather. Every time we stopped to use a Supercharger, the car was ready before we were! So if you can stop for 10 minutes en route for a loo break, a quick top-up will give you a lot of extra range.

Get your car on order, and while you’re waiting get a home charger sorted. On the right tariff you can charge your car at home for next to nothing. I use Octopus GO, and I’m charging for the equivalent of less than 1.5p per mile. I can send you some info (and a referral code for £50 credit) if you want.

Welcome to the world of EVs. I’m on my third, and I’d never go back to ICE now.

We’re all saving the planet, one car at a time.

Where does the minus 8% to 10% figure for 19" wheels come from? why would it be significantly worse than the -4% you mention for 18" without the aero caps
I'm just going by various threads and videos. But maybe it would be fairer to say from -6% as there are a fair few results showing that, and that's what's ABRP shows, in which case not a huge amount more than aero free 18's.

The extra loss comes from any combination of drag/weight/rolling resistance.

Had my M3P for 7 weeks now and today had my first dry tip on the motorways. Bournemouth to Portsmouth driving at the speed limit with a section of 50mph average speed check. I got 280wh/mi. I was pretty impressed with this, usually on the wet motorways im at 330-350wh/mi

did glasgow to warrington
started with 96%
225 miles
7c outdoor
cold battery to start
70mph on the motorway (fairly consistent with autopilot)
heating at 20c
arrived at the SuC with 11%

I do a similar run most weeks. For me this is a good illustration of what you can do vs what you might rely on every day. You can fairly reliably do this run, I guess, but I wouldn't want to buy a car assuming I'd enter these top and bottom states of charge on a daily basis, for reasons of having a bit of flexibility as well as battery care. Conditions and speeds can be worse too.

For 100 miles each way if you had charging both ends, even at very modest power, you could just leave the car set to charge to 80%, plug in when you stop and give it no more thought.

Reactions: Jez_GB and Adopado
Mulling the above over, it begs a hypothetical question.

Say 80 mile each way commute to be safe - buy a LR with charging at one end or a SR+ plus invest in another charge point at the other end, and save the rest of your money?