Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range Discrepancy - Trip Computer vs Energy App

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey Folks,

I am wondering if someone could explain the range discrepancy between the trip computer and the energy app.

20230401_134711.jpg
20230401_134724.jpg

As you can see the trip computer says I have done 246km since I last charged, but the energy app says 286km was used for driving. Can some one explain this discrepancy ?

The only explanation I can think of is since the energy app calculates energy used, the car used up 286km of the battery capacity for driving, which means the car used 40km worth of extra energy (drivetrain losses(?)) to travel 246km.

Yup pretty much. Also why displayed range is often not the same calculated energy usage as your actual range from the trip menu.

Lots of various factor affect actual range such as temperature, speed, AC use, elevation changes, towing/weight, tire pressure, etc.

Yup pretty much. Also why displayed range is often not the same calculated energy usage as your actual range from the trip menu.

Lots of various factor affect actual range such as temperature, speed, AC use, elevation changes, towing/weight, tire pressure, etc.
Yeah I understand all the elements that impact range, which is why I am looking at just the 'Driving' portion of the energy app and what the difference pertains to.

If the difference is indeed drivetrain losses, then I find it interesting that drivetrain losses amount to 15%.
Don't know if this is good or bad for an EV, but find it interesting that a Tesla has about 15% in drivetrain losses.

If the difference is indeed drivetrain losses, then I find it interesting that drivetrain losses amount to 15%.
Don't know if this is good or bad for an EV, but find it interesting that a Tesla has about 15% in drivetrain losses.
It isn't drivetrain losses.

It is more energy required than predicted. That could be because you are driving over the speed limit, or have a headwind. Just look at the "range tips" on the right, it looks like it tells you specifically what 65.2km of that extra energy was used for.

Reactions: rraj2k81
It isn't drivetrain losses.

It is more energy required than predicted. That could be because you are driving over the speed limit, or have a headwind. Just look at the "range tips" on the right, it looks like it tells you specifically what 65.2km of that extra energy was used for.
The range tips are more about the overall range impact. But you make a good point about speed and headwind impacting “driving” range, and it’s not just drivetrain losses.